Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411586 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 06, 2024, 06:57:49 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsProject Rain World
Pages: 1 ... 136 137 [138] 139 140 ... 367
Print
Author Topic: Project Rain World  (Read 1450015 times)
akryl9296
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2740 on: January 22, 2015, 05:39:31 AM »

What is that thing hanging under it in the first gif? It looks... insinuatingly :D

RainWorld alpha map: 141220
jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2741 on: January 22, 2015, 07:43:57 AM »

That's the neck! You and your dirty minds...

Movement looks nice and smooth and creepy. Right now it's like you're being chased around by a giant disembodied stomach and lower intestine rofl

theEasternDragon
Level 0

Rocket-powered hype train

View Profile
« Reply #2742 on: January 22, 2015, 04:09:58 PM »

Agreed. Also:

After some time, when the female is finally stimulated enough and she feels her body produced enough eggs (process takes between 4-12 hours, and can produce about 100-300 eggs), she takes one of her tentacles, wraps it around the male's head (cranial region) and tears it off-- the male is now dead.
The female reaches into her now-dead partner's body, scoops out his semen sack, and swallows it.
During the next week the female goes back to her normal life den, where she has prepared a stockpile of food reserves, and proceeds to eat all the food until it kills herself, literally.
After that week has passed, if the female has not died by natural causes, she will tear off her own head as to prevent her body from absorbing/processing her body to feed off itself to survive.

Also at the end of this first week, the Krikets* are about at a tadpole stage; and after a few more weeks of absorbing their mother's nutrients, they each will crawl/munch their way out of her body, spread their little Kriket wings, and fly to begin the cycle all over again.

Half of the Krickets will survive their first day outside. And only 10 out of the original 100 (30 out of 300) will live a full week outside the mother's body. Once more, half of those remaining will be dead by the end of the next week.

Between the moment of fertilization and 2 months later, 5% of the Krikets will be all that remain to continue the reign of Kraken everywhere.

*Technical Fact: Baby Krakens are called Krikets.

I also have other ideas for the other creatures (except snails, though I can think of some pretty weird stuff on the top of my head huehuehue). Bats are whores (not a slur), they do everybody and everything. Slugcats are the tamest out of everything Tongue
I also have Fur Color hereditary charts for how popular each color of Slugcat is. Dominant/Recessive genes, that kind of stuff. It's all just so much fun! :D

On a scale of 1 to completely zonked out, how drunk were you when you wrote this? My Word!
chriswearly
Level 3

prince slugcat

View Profile
« Reply #2743 on: January 22, 2015, 06:54:38 PM »

Agreed. Also:

After some time, when the female is finally stimulated enough and she feels her body produced enough eggs (process takes between 4-12 hours, and can produce about 100-300 eggs), she takes one of her tentacles, wraps it around the male's head (cranial region) and tears it off-- the male is now dead.
The female reaches into her now-dead partner's body, scoops out his semen sack, and swallows it.
During the next week the female goes back to her normal life den, where she has prepared a stockpile of food reserves, and proceeds to eat all the food until it kills herself, literally.
After that week has passed, if the female has not died by natural causes, she will tear off her own head as to prevent her body from absorbing/processing her body to feed off itself to survive.

Also at the end of this first week, the Krikets* are about at a tadpole stage; and after a few more weeks of absorbing their mother's nutrients, they each will crawl/munch their way out of her body, spread their little Kriket wings, and fly to begin the cycle all over again.

Half of the Krickets will survive their first day outside. And only 10 out of the original 100 (30 out of 300) will live a full week outside the mother's body. Once more, half of those remaining will be dead by the end of the next week.

Between the moment of fertilization and 2 months later, 5% of the Krikets will be all that remain to continue the reign of Kraken everywhere.

*Technical Fact: Baby Krakens are called Krikets.

I also have other ideas for the other creatures (except snails, though I can think of some pretty weird stuff on the top of my head huehuehue). Bats are whores (not a slur), they do everybody and everything. Slugcats are the tamest out of everything Tongue
I also have Fur Color hereditary charts for how popular each color of Slugcat is. Dominant/Recessive genes, that kind of stuff. It's all just so much fun! :D

On a scale of 1 to completely zonked out, how drunk were you when you wrote this? My Word!
Oh, you don't want to know what I could come up with when I'm incoherent.

Also this isn't even that weird to the other things I've come up with Wink

JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2744 on: January 22, 2015, 08:03:47 PM »

Update 386

Are you ready for gross sky kraken appendages? That rhetorical question, of course you wanna see some gross appendages:

Please refrain from these words in the below discussion: "Udder", "Sperm Sack".

Also - iiiiiiincoooooomiiiiiing!

Rojom
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2745 on: January 22, 2015, 08:08:55 PM »

...holy shit Shocked
Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2746 on: January 22, 2015, 08:24:33 PM »

"The kraken opens its wings as it swoops down on the unsuspecting slugcat..."
- excerpt from the Rain World nature documentary

So which limbs does it use to grab prey and search through vents? The big wing arms seem too large to fit into tunnels and tight places. Do the purple tentacles stretch?

Also is there going to be some kind of membrane or skin between the "fingers" of the wings?

Edit: that slick move the slugcat pulls off in the first GIF is awesome. Swing off the pole, land on the edge of the platform, leap downward, all in one smooth fluid motion
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 08:30:14 PM by Christian » Logged

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
DarkWanderer
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #2747 on: January 22, 2015, 08:48:25 PM »

Did Joar ever actually say it would reach into vents?
Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2748 on: January 22, 2015, 09:02:34 PM »

Wasn't there a GIF of a tentacle searching and someone asked how the tentacle "decided" where to search?

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2749 on: January 22, 2015, 09:24:17 PM »

So which limbs does it use to grab prey and search through vents? The big wing arms seem too large to fit into tunnels and tight places. Do the purple tentacles stretch?

Actually I don't think I mentioned vent searching for this creature, but more for tentacles in general. The purple tentacles are passive, so it'd have to be the wings if any. It does reach with its neck though, but it's not very long. When James and I really start to try to build gameplay around it we'll see, maybe it'll need grabby arms or it's too easy.

Also is there going to be some kind of membrane or skin between the "fingers" of the wings?
Nope, I don't think so, but the "fingers" will look slightly different - now they're just squares.

Edit: that slick move the slugcat pulls off in the first GIF is awesome. Swing off the pole, land on the edge of the platform, leap downward, all in one smooth fluid motion
Tooooootally on purpose!  Wink
jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2750 on: January 23, 2015, 02:09:15 AM »

WHAT A GLORIOUS BEAST  My Word!

broomhead123
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2751 on: January 23, 2015, 05:34:50 AM »

Just looked on humble at the claim page? And there doesn't seem to be any link, it just shows:

Your purchase of Rain World Early Access + Soundtrack gets you:

Rain World, Cross-Platform and DRM-Free
Rain World Digital Soundtrack (+ Bonus Tracks)
Rain World Alpha/Beta Access

Then no download link for the Alpha? Any ideas?
Thanks
jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2752 on: January 23, 2015, 05:55:47 AM »

Just looked on humble at the claim page? And there doesn't seem to be any link, it just shows:

Your purchase of Rain World Early Access + Soundtrack gets you:

Rain World, Cross-Platform and DRM-Free
Rain World Digital Soundtrack (+ Bonus Tracks)
Rain World Alpha/Beta Access

Then no download link for the Alpha? Any ideas?
Thanks

PM'd!

Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2753 on: January 23, 2015, 06:33:40 AM »

That slow-mo GIF is mesmerizing. The weird movement style flows perfectly. You expect it to swoop in for the kill like an eagle, but then the thrusters halt its descent, allowing the wings to effortlessly shift to walking appendages. So good.

What are the function of the purple tentacles? Joar said they're passive, but I imagine them working like t-rex arms, bringing food to the kraken's mouth and holding it there while the creature feeds.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 09:16:13 AM by Christian » Logged

Crispy75
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2754 on: January 23, 2015, 09:12:13 AM »

What are the function of the purple tentacles?

Sensory organs
"Gills"
Sexual organs
"Fuel" tanks for the jets
Whiteclaws
Level 10

#include <funny.h>

View Profile
« Reply #2755 on: January 23, 2015, 09:20:08 AM »

so uhm he can seense the slugcats with his sexual organs?
tortoiseandcrow
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #2756 on: January 23, 2015, 09:33:20 AM »

I notice that the right proboscis/genital/digestive fluid sac/crop/ink bladder is retracted in the first gif, but distended in the second. Please tell me that even if they are totally passive gameplay wise, they will have some disgusting autonomous behaviours like extending/contracting/secreting/spasming.

Because nature is gross.
Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2757 on: January 23, 2015, 09:33:47 AM »

You should do the thing where it chases you based on a prediction of where you were going a tenth of a second ago rather than actual current position, making it a better simulation of How Things Work.

I saw it in a wolfire video and I thought it's a cool thing to do.

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
tortoiseandcrow
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #2758 on: January 23, 2015, 10:18:50 AM »

Question: where does the sky kraken go when the rain comes? It seems like so far most of the animals live in underground burrows in order to survive the rain cycle.
chriswearly
Level 3

prince slugcat

View Profile
« Reply #2759 on: January 23, 2015, 10:23:48 AM »

What are the function of the purple tentacles?

Sensory organs
"Gills"
Sexual organs
"Fuel" tanks for the jets

[in a Planet Earth narrator voice]
"...and now, we wait. Nightfall is fast approaching, and with it we will be witness to the spectacle that is known as a Kraken Light Show."
[cut to scene of sped-up setting sun, then cut to pitch blackness]
[a few seconds of nothing, then strange purple glowing dims in and out in the distance]
"And now it begins.
"This rare event happens once a month, when the Krakens migrate to lower elevations, or across the plains to the base of a mountain-- and as nomadic and solitary as these creatures are normally, this is their chance to socialize, and, as an added bonus... to feast.

"Just outside this large bat-dwelling cave, the first Kraken begins glowing its tentacles. Soon followed by dozens, then hundreds of the others shadowed in the tree lines. It is an awe-inspiring, and quite terrifying sight.

"Now while it is true almost all bats hunt at night, these Northern Black Long-winged ones go out much later than usual-- hence the almost pitch-black sky, thanks to the new moon as well.

"And so, like an angler fish luring its prey at the depths of the ocean with its iridescent hook, the Krakens, once they start their show, attract the bats, luring them in the thousands, to their eventual death."

[cut to scene of night-vision filtered bats swarming out of the cave]
[cut to normal shot, where we only see the purple glows of the hundreds of Krakens all at once flying high, then rocketing down, colliding with bats, stunning them, then mangling and scarfing down their meal on the ground. And bats that weren't assaulted are drawn back to the ground where they 'here comes the airplane' right into the Krakens mouths]

[cut to scene of the last few bats flying away with their lives, and the Krakens flying up the mountainside or to the plains, the glowing tentacles fading as they get farther away]

"Now that is what I'd call a happy pack of Krakens."

Pages: 1 ... 136 137 [138] 139 140 ... 367
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic