Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411576 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: darkcitien

May 04, 2024, 11:29:57 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsProject Rain World
Pages: 1 ... 245 246 [247] 248 249 ... 367
Print
Author Topic: Project Rain World  (Read 1449516 times)
grayhaze
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4920 on: November 02, 2015, 01:38:44 PM »

I continue to be in awe at the work you guys are putting into this. Every new monster you add tops the last. Those centipedes are damn creepy. Can't wait to sit my wife down in front of the computer without telling her what she's about to play. Wink

Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4921 on: November 02, 2015, 07:12:10 PM »

It's one of those numbers where scientific notation doesn't do you any good, you end up with stacks of exponents kilometers tall.
Because even the music (or at least the sound effects) are procedural, right?

Btw, I'm assuming music like this is still in: Grumblebum, Else

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4922 on: November 02, 2015, 08:38:40 PM »

yep! the ambient music and sfx will be arranged in a procedural way, and in addition to that there will also be other music, such as the Else series, Grumblebum etc, that are for set for certain regions, locations or narrative events in order to create a specific mood and set emotional context, yadda yadda.

JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4923 on: November 03, 2015, 01:55:23 PM »

Update 495

Gotten started on the new region. Where the previous one was laaaaaaarge with lots and lots of different sub-regions and creature sets, some of which were weird and kept secret, this one is going to be smaller and less internally varied, but in return way stranger. Like, really really turning a lot of things about the standard rain world formula upside down. Basically we want to take everything you think you know about the world and switch it around in this region, where slugcat is far out on thin ice. Within the stylistic confines of the project of course, it's not going to become a text heavy interactive novel or anything like that  No No NO

As the region will be considerably smaller than the previous one, we expect to move through it a lot quicker even though it will have these strange elements and new mechanics. We're going for an economic approach where we want to get as much strange player experience as possible out of the work we put in. One day of work in it looks hopeful - we already have a mechanic in that we hope will surprise you guys and make the region stand out.

Sorry to continue keeping the lid on! We're almost through, and then we'll get back to normal devlogging and let you guys come along through the final stretch. Hang in there!
« Last Edit: November 03, 2015, 02:01:22 PM by JLJac » Logged
Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4924 on: November 03, 2015, 02:24:12 PM »

Oh, sounds very interesting. But obviously we all know you're adding guns again

Any chance there will be another alpha release for backers?
« Last Edit: November 03, 2015, 02:35:32 PM by Christian » Logged

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4925 on: November 04, 2015, 05:00:23 AM »

I believe we have crossed a very crucial threshold today, and that is the threshold where people have made slugcat costumes for Halloween and/or cosplay: https://twitter.com/rainworldgame/status/661885217574121473

ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4926 on: November 04, 2015, 08:33:13 AM »

slugcat's essence is in the movement, should be a video!

Crispy75
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4927 on: November 04, 2015, 11:45:23 AM »

slugcat cosplay parkour

make it hapen, someone
Cojack
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4928 on: November 04, 2015, 09:36:53 PM »

I've been stalking this game in the unregistered shadows for a while now, it looks amazing and I can't wait to play it! Keep up the good work!
dualcats
Level 0

h e l l o i n t e r n e t s

View Profile
« Reply #4929 on: November 05, 2015, 12:15:16 AM »

I believe we have crossed a very crucial threshold today, and that is the threshold where people have made slugcat costumes for Halloween and/or cosplay: https://twitter.com/rainworldgame/status/661885217574121473

oh baby, sign me up for that shit. <3
Ulumulu1510
Level 0

I could restructure this code once more...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4930 on: November 08, 2015, 05:58:38 AM »

Every day, I step by to read the new features of this absolutely astonishing game. Since kickstarter I come back everyday and since the day you started keeping some information to yourself I have become more desperate to hear from it. Even so desperate, that I made an account just to express it Crazy .

I can't wait for news! Keep up the great work you two Smiley
cainex1
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4931 on: November 09, 2015, 01:35:55 PM »

The current idea is that if you save the pups, you will be able to play as them (grown up) in new game plus. One idea we were talking about was that each pup would have some increased skill but also come with an increased difficulty (faster/shorter cycles, stronger/more enemies and the like). All of this is very much up for change though as we get to the actual game balancing stuff. It is hard to know what works before having it in front of you and trying it out, and no early ideas are holy in the face of actually getting a good game flow.
BY THE GRACE OF ALL THAT IS HOLY!!!!!!
You have done it sir, this is the plan of plans. Each slugcat you save can give a new experience, also a chance at different needs depending on the particular cub (look out for the crazy, super-rare platinum slugcat, with insane strength and power but an even more insatiable appetite).

Another suggestion, just throwing it out there since you have mentioned alternative food sources, perhaps something could be taken from downed lizards (in the rare case you're good enough to fight them and win) akin to the fruit you posted recently, maybe it could be colored in that lizard's particular shade/hue.
Anyway, loving everything, more than pleased to have backed you guys on this.
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4932 on: November 11, 2015, 01:01:00 AM »

Thank you thank you! Hang in there guys!

Programming purity question:

With an integer rect struct, should the upper digits be thought of as included or excluded?

It's a silly question I know, but I just can't figure something out that feels right. The inclusive one makes sense because, well, look at it, but what doesn't make sense is that if I ask for its width I get 7-4=3 tiles, where the width very obviously is 4 if you look at it.

I'm gravitating towards the inclusive version and then just slapping on a +1 on the width and height accessors, but that feels horribly unpure to me as the same logic could hardly be applied to a float rect. Should I just accept that integer logic and float logic are different here?
surt
Level 7

Meat by-product.

View Profile
« Reply #4933 on: November 11, 2015, 01:30:09 AM »

Consider the results of a zero-sized rect and of swapping the order of the corners.
Strikes me that there is a natural choice there.

Real life would be so much better with permadeath.
PJ Gallery - OGA Gallery - CC0 Scraps
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4934 on: November 11, 2015, 01:48:57 AM »

The rule of thumb for any range is min included, max excluded, because Edsger Dijkstra said so (he also said why). That's what most people use by convention, it's what makes mathematical sense in most situations (basically... anything that's not a matrix), so that's the intuition I would try to develop if I were you.

The answer to your question depends on which corner of the screen is zero.
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4935 on: November 11, 2015, 05:50:30 AM »

The 8,5 one. I've never seen it done differently...

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4936 on: November 11, 2015, 06:05:39 AM »

See, Princessa agrees with me on the convention bit! Wink

EDIT: another way to look at it (and paraphrasing Dijkstra's paper; he uses somewhat-complicated-English): imagine you want to tile ten by ten rectangles next to each other, starting from the upper left corner, so (0,0).

• It makes sense to have (upper bound - lower bound) == length for each side. This implies the logical approach is one end inclusive, the other end exclusive
  • Similarly, it makes sense to have the upper bound for one tile be the lower bound for the next. Again, that only works if one bound is inclusive, and the other exclusive
  • It makes sense to have the coordinate that starts at (0,0) to be zero themselves, which together with the previous points means the lower bound must be inclusive, which means the upper bound should be exclusive

The reason you want these things is that the mathematical properties are just much nicer that way. For example, that 10x10 tiling can be written in pseudocode like:
Code:
for y = 0 to 10
  for x = 0 to 10
    drawRectangle(x * xlength, y * ylength)
  end
end
Just a simple for loop! Note how intuitive offsetting is in this scheme too: just add whatever offset you have to x and y for example (before or after multiplication, depending on what kind of offset).

Does that help with building some intuiting for it? I know it would be much clearer with some pictures but that's a bit too much hassle now.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 06:21:08 AM by JobLeonard » Logged
marcgfx
Level 8

if you don't comment, who will?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4937 on: November 11, 2015, 06:08:02 AM »

I get the feeling you are looking at the cells themselves and not the edges? in that case it kind of makes sense with the 7,4... but just use the edges/lines and everything makes a lot more sense -> 8,5

JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4938 on: November 11, 2015, 08:37:10 AM »

Ah, exactly the sort of insight I was looking for! Thank you so much  Hand Thumbs Up Left Smiley Hand Thumbs Up Right

That Dijkstra article is cool! I assume this is the same guy as in "Dijkstra Maps" - the pathfinding algorithm?
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4939 on: November 11, 2015, 09:03:51 AM »

Dijkstra is god!

I don't know Dijkstra Maps but since he's the only famous Dijkstra I'm sure he is Tongue. Or are Dijkstra Maps another name for Dijkstra's Algorithm, which basically is what allows the internet to work at all?

He was also one of the first computer science research snobs - he wrote all of his papers by hand! And he wrote a lot of stuff.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edsger_W._Dijkstra
Pages: 1 ... 245 246 [247] 248 249 ... 367
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic