Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411562 Posts in 69384 Topics- by 58443 Members - Latest Member: junkmail

May 03, 2024, 11:51:26 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingEnsign 1 - Multiplayer Space Combat
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Ensign 1 - Multiplayer Space Combat  (Read 4416 times)
onionman77
Level 0

View Profile
« on: December 05, 2011, 07:49:18 AM »

I've been working on a space combat game that will feature 6dof dog-fighting, and more importantly the ability to board and pilot other starships, even capitol ships.

Anyway, we've got a new video here, and I wanted to get feedback on how you guys felt about the direction the game was going. I'd like to get the game to a point where players can man turrets on a ship, or transport a commando unit over to enemy ship to take it over. What do you think?

And thanks for watching! Oh and if you'd like to follow our progress, you can find us on indiedb at http://www.indiedb.com/games/ensign-1
« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 11:14:15 PM by onionman77 » Logged
Stib
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2011, 11:49:49 AM »

Hey onionman. Here are a couple of my thoughts.

Nice music.
The ability to switch ships is awesome. Emphasize that.
Just visually the ships seem herky jerky. Try to make movement as smooth as possible and make the ships feel like they weigh a couple hundred tons (aka slow acceleration).
Having multiple players inside the ship sounds like fun. I'd make sure everyone could have something to do. Like one person can pilot another can be a gunner.

Looks interesting.
Netsu
Level 10

proficient at just chillin'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2011, 11:55:56 AM »

Having multiple players inside the ship sounds like fun. I'd make sure everyone could have something to do. Like one person can pilot another can be a gunner.

This is a must. If the game became popular enough it would be awesome to have huge battles with tens of people on all of the biggest ships, acting as security, manning the turrets, piloting, giving commands etc. Plus of course more people piloting fighters. I don't think anyone did something that before.

Gazillion
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2011, 12:29:02 PM »

This is a must. If the game became popular enough it would be awesome to have huge battles with tens of people on all of the biggest ships, acting as security, manning the turrets, piloting, giving commands etc. Plus of course more people piloting fighters. I don't think anyone did something that before.

They had similar features in Battlefield 2142 and Battlefront (I forget which iteration). Basically in Battlefront you are in a big ship which has a core that needs to be destroyed so fighters fly around trying to take down the shield generators. Once they're down its possible to board the ship. People can walk around the ship and try to fix various components as well as man turrets.

I haven't played these games in years so I might have mixed up some of the features between the two games but this has been done before (and is absolutely awesome)!

Stib
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2011, 02:12:37 PM »

They had similar features in Battlefield 2142 and Battlefront (I forget which iteration). Basically in Battlefront you are in a big ship which has a core that needs to be destroyed so fighters fly around trying to take down the shield generators. Once they're down its possible to board the ship. People can walk around the ship and try to fix various components as well as man turrets.

I haven't played these games in years so I might have mixed up some of the features between the two games but this has been done before (and is absolutely awesome)!

That sounds awesome. I wanna play  Beer!
onionman77
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2011, 02:38:31 PM »

Wow, thanks for the feedback guys! Yip, Star Wars Battlefront is the closes game I can think of, or Eternal Silence. Some of the things were hoping to do differently here are the ability to man turrets eventually, and also the ability to pilot the giant capitol ships as well.
verticalvertex
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2011, 10:34:37 PM »

The first game that comes to mind is 'colony wars', and thats great. Looking good.

It's all good.
AaronLee
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2011, 01:23:30 AM »

Great engine features in that video. The graphics are pretty silly right now but I'd assume that's because the game's pretty early on. It looks like you have some geometry issues to solve (avatars going up stairs, ship collision etc.)

That said, the fact that you have glitchless free walking inside of a moving ship is absolutely great.

Are you using a newtonian physics model for spaceflight?

onionman77
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2011, 10:39:34 AM »

What exactly is a newtonian model for spaceflight again? Maybe that answers your question.

But seriously, I've seen people talking about it, in terms of gameplay, what does that mean?

Edit: Ah okay, I looked it up. No we aren't using a newtonian physics model. The gameplay will be very arcade like. There's some give in the way you're able to change ship direction while still traveling in another, but it all slows down much faster than a real ship would in space. Story wise, we just say the ships are outfitted with some kind of auto-correct mechanism or what not.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 10:44:56 AM by onionman77 » Logged
injustpotato
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2011, 05:16:27 PM »

Space battles? Yes! This looks just like Battlefront!

If this can somehow emulate Battlefront II I would LOVE you forever. Space combat!
AaronLee
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2011, 06:06:09 PM »

What exactly is a newtonian model for spaceflight again? Maybe that answers your question.

But seriously, I've seen people talking about it, in terms of gameplay, what does that mean?

Edit: Ah okay, I looked it up. No we aren't using a newtonian physics model. The gameplay will be very arcade like. There's some give in the way you're able to change ship direction while still traveling in another, but it all slows down much faster than a real ship would in space. Story wise, we just say the ships are outfitted with some kind of auto-correct mechanism or what not.

A newtonian model basically means 0 friction. I've been using it in my current project and the freedom you get is pretty awesome controls wise. But yeah, arcadey might be a better call for you guys.

starsrift
Level 10

Apparently I am a ruiner of worlds. Ooops.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2011, 06:09:07 PM »

If the game became popular enough it would be awesome to have huge battles with tens of people on all of the biggest ships, acting as security, manning the turrets, piloting, giving commands etc. Plus of course more people piloting fighters. I don't think anyone did something that before.

The last X-Wing game in the series did that. X-Wing Alliance, or the one after it. But there was only a couple ships that had the pilot/gunner options.

"Vigorous writing is concise." - William Strunk, Jr.
As is coding.

I take life with a grain of salt.
And a slice of lime, plus a shot of tequila.
onionman77
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2011, 02:17:51 PM »

Hey, we do have another youtube trailer up at -

that hopefully shows off more of the direction where we'd like to take the game. You can see someone piloting a capitol ship, and being inside of it after you've landed on it, while it's moving.
Let me know what you think!

Netsu
Level 10

proficient at just chillin'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2011, 02:31:50 PM »

Looks promising. I actually liked the advertisements. Always thought that ads in games are unacceptable, but I also always imagined them as pop-ups, or somehow incorporated into the interface, but those in-game-world ads are completely fine, especially the posters inside the ship.

onionman77
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2011, 02:54:02 PM »

Thanks, haha. I think I got the idea from Outlaw Star, they had space billboards there. And yip, I was trying to go for something that would enhance the experience, certainly not detract from it.
onionman77
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2012, 11:54:06 AM »

We've got a new article out on indiedb showing more of where we'd like to take the game. Let us know what you think!

http://www.indiedb.com/games/ensign-1/news/turrets-capital-ships-and-explosions
JackMenhorn
Level 2

Sound Designer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2012, 06:30:01 AM »

Keep doin what you're doin.

Sound Designer<br />www.jackmenhorn.com

Nova-111 OST: https://jackmenhorn.bandcamp.com/album/nova-111
cirolve
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2012, 01:18:48 AM »

looking good. can't wait to see what else you have in store.
onionman77
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2012, 11:12:11 PM »

Well we do actually have a new youtube video out, showing off a sneak peak at our single player campaign.

With an article on our recent developments here
http://www.indiedb.com/games/ensign-1 , including opening up an 8Bit campaign.
onionman77
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2012, 09:00:55 AM »

Hey, I made a video showing off the level editor I had created for this game, and was kind of curious as to what you guys thought about it? Before this, I had only shown the editor to my level designer, so was just kind of curious what other gamers thought of it. If it looked user friendly, or even if you saw things that could be improved.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUZX50WeW1M&feature=youtu.be
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic