Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411562 Posts in 69384 Topics- by 58443 Members - Latest Member: junkmail

May 03, 2024, 11:48:51 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingCUBISLAND - puzzle/platform 16-bit style!
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: CUBISLAND - puzzle/platform 16-bit style!  (Read 2338 times)
jaysonwcs
Level 0

View Profile
« on: July 08, 2012, 05:08:16 AM »

CUBISLAND  is a 2d platform adventure/puzzle game, where the player takes the role of a Cube-boy able to create various properties cubes and interact with them, to solve puzzles and make way through the stages.

The art of the game has a 16-bit generation feeling  (SNES, Genesis), and the gameplay has influences of Mario series games, especially Yoshi’s Island.

CUBISLAND is still in development. Some of the final version features are:

Overworld (Super Mario’s style);
A lot of usable cubes;
Colectible itens;
Secret patches;
Bonus stages;
“4.5″ worlds;
Sandbox mode.

Game required: Browser with Flash Player enabled

Play the First stage demo!
http://www.invisioncommunity.co.uk/2012/06/30/cubisland/

We would like to ask some GENERAL CRTICISM!
What do you think about this thing? What's your feeling about the experience (walking around and blocks puzzle solving)?

Thank you all for the attention! Smiley

« Last Edit: July 08, 2012, 06:07:10 PM by jaysonwcs » Logged
Marries
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2012, 01:37:47 PM »

I like how everything is clear without any explanation. The puzzle mechanics are interesting and fun to explore. I'm a bit worried that it might become tedious after a while, but it really depends on the additional elements in later levels. The controls felt good.

The art style in the background looks good, but the foreground doesn't really fit in. For example, the red and blue foreground blocks feel a bit programmer-art to me. I think it would be better if the blocks would fit in the rest of the color scheme (maybe with some yellow to make them stand out?). For me, this was the weakest point of the game.

Overall it was fun, and I'm curious how the later levels will be. I was a bit disappointed that there were no secret rooms (or I didn't notice them?), but you already mentioned that you're working on them!

Windybeard
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2012, 02:24:01 PM »

i just Played through.  I agree with all of what Marries said however once i got the block drop skill i started to enjoy the game. The background graphics are much better than the foreground.

All in all it was a good play though, the block drop was great, the controls where tight and felt natural however im not to sure about the jump being W or UP, it felt a little unusual. I would be interested to see where this goes and think that this could be a great game.

FRACTURES
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2012, 03:01:54 AM »

You've got a cool game coming along there. I'd agree with other comments that the background graphics are a better design than the foreground etc.

Have you got anyone onboard for the audio for your project? If not, take a listen to my stuff here... http://flavors.me/fractures

Fractures     Showreel     Twitter
jaysonwcs
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2012, 02:45:06 PM »

I like how everything is clear without any explanation. The puzzle mechanics are interesting and fun to explore. I'm a bit worried that it might become tedious after a while, but it really depends on the additional elements in later levels. The controls felt good.

i just Played through.  I agree with all of what Marries said however once i got the block drop skill i started to enjoy the game. The background graphics are much better than the foreground.

All in all it was a good play though, the block drop was great, the controls where tight and felt natural however im not to sure about the jump being W or UP, it felt a little unusual. I would be interested to see where this goes and think that this could be a great game.

I'm really happy for the reception!
We're beginners, so these feedbacks will be remembered!

The art style in the background looks good, but the foreground doesn't really fit in. For example, the red and blue foreground blocks feel a bit programmer-art to me. I think it would be better if the blocks would fit in the rest of the color scheme (maybe with some yellow to make them stand out?). For me, this was the weakest point of the game.

Overall it was fun, and I'm curious how the later levels will be. I was a bit disappointed that there were no secret rooms (or I didn't notice them?), but you already mentioned that you're working on them!

The red and blue tiles are a big problem, because some people forget their function.
This will be changed, probably.
This game CERTAINLY will have secret bonus! Something like "Super Mario": hiden itens, difficult to find (we expect, hehe). We love that! However, it wasn't working yet. On Dev version, it is working already.

Have you got anyone onboard for the audio for your project? If not, take a listen to my stuff here... http://flavors.me/fractures
In fact, we are negotiating with a musician, but the deal wasn't closed yet.
The Dédale Soundtrack is awesome!
I'll send you an e-mail!

Thank you everyone!
Majestic
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2012, 04:29:06 PM »

The gameplay and animation is very smooth. I love the animation effect of the cube pushing a block with all his strength , that is nice.

Keep up the good work, looks like a solid game so far

Feel free to check out my work as well Smiley

www.soundcloud.com/majestic8390 - My game music portfolio
For custom game music tailored for your project contact me majestic8390[at]gmail[dot]com
Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2012, 04:48:23 PM »

It's cool, but needs more game elements and complex puzzles in the later levels for sure.
jaysonwcs
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2012, 11:22:20 AM »

Majestic,
Thanks for the comments!
My brother (the artist) will be very happy with the animation comentary! =)
I have to say that we are negotiating with other composers, but I'll take a look at your musics!

Udderdude,
I'm aware about the lack of puzzles and chalenge.
It's that way because we really needed to make playtests in the very first level, because it's a "tutorial" level (without a real tutorial, so it MUST work!).
We intent to do playtests with the next levels, so they are comming! =)

Thanks!
JMStark
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2012, 05:46:33 PM »

Good design! This game definitely has some high quality work put into it from a game play perspective.

I like the background and the tileset, but the anti-aliasing look on the main character contrasts with the sharp edges of the environment. I would suggest cleaning up the sprites to promote visual consistency.

Current Project: Shuffle Company
Twitter: JMRante
Razz
Level 6

subtle shitposter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2012, 06:50:19 PM »

Nice design and control. I think the sound effects could use some work, the pushing sound is kind of wonky because there is a huge gap before it loops. I also agree with JMStark, the anti-aliasing on the character looks out of place.

I'd also recommend making a death have more "punch" to it, maybe with a sound effect and some kind of animation.

Otherwise, I'm interested in seeing where this goes! Smiley Hand Thumbs Up Right

TriStarch
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2012, 07:38:47 AM »

This is awesome!  You nailed the text-free tutorial.  Everything becomes clear when the player experiments with pushing rocks around and you did a great job making it so the player can't mess things up (I really like how the red blocks keep rocks from getting stuck against walls!).  What does the pink enemy block at the end do, though?  I tried shoving an enemy down there with a rock and killing all the enemies, but it doesn't seem like anything other than just a solid block.   

I agree on the all the minor presentation issues brought up earlier, things just need a little polish.

Is this going to be on any platforms besides flash?  I could see this working really well on iOS/Android, at least with the current gameplay elements.  The platforming isn't too intense (so far) and touching to drop rocks would be great.

Anyhow, nice game!  I'm excited to see more of it.  Grin
jaysonwcs
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2012, 01:59:08 AM »

JMStark, MoltenMustafa and TriStarch:
Thanks very much for the feedback!!

JMStark, the animation will be remade! =)

TriStarch, we will make a port to iOS/Android some day, but this will take a long time.

Some updates on CubIsland:
http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=27092.0
Updated link:
http://www.invisioncommunity.co.uk/2012/06/30/cubisland/

Again, thanks for the feedback! \o/
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic