Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411632 Posts in 69393 Topics- by 58448 Members - Latest Member: Onsku

May 13, 2024, 08:28:01 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitions[2012] Oh No, Asteroids! [FINISHED]
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: [2012] Oh No, Asteroids! [FINISHED]  (Read 3696 times)
Anaryu
Level 0

View Profile
« on: December 11, 2011, 06:15:43 PM »

DOWNLOADS:
You can play on the web here: http://anamei.net/files/games/ONAWeb/WebPlayer/WebPlayer.html
Windows 64-bit here: http://anamei.net/files/games/ONAPCx64.zip
Windows 32-bit here: http://anamei.net/files/games/ONAPCx86.zip

A storm of asteroids is heading towards Earth, only you and a complex system able to produce massive turrets and planetary defenses is between it and certain destruction.

How long can you hold off the asteroids? Can the Earth be saved?

A cross of an RTS and a tower defense game, you'll be forced to use well placed platforms to stop asteroids with guns that destroy them, mines that explode them, and gravity wells to alter their trajectory.

• Build Turrets and Upgrade them
  • Place objects strategically to use physics to make the asteroids avoid Earth
  • How long can you last, or can the Earth be saved?

HOW TO PLAY:

Use the mouse to build Platforms and then build a turret of your choice on the platform.

Turrets will automatically target the closest target on the screen and within range, play around to learn the advantages of each turret, some are better at pushing while others are better at destroying!

Special Controls:
1. Hold down the SHIFT key to select turrets OR drag a box with the mouse to select all turrets in that area.
  1a. Left click on an asteroid to have selected turrets target it.
  1b. Shift left-click to move the selected turret(s) to the location.
  1c. You can use Ctrl+<number> to save and the <number> key to recall groups just like a standard RTS
« Last Edit: December 31, 2011, 04:18:50 PM by Anaryu » Logged
Anaryu
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2011, 10:03:20 PM »

To test the first prototype, just go here: (it's a web-loading game using Unity's web player)
http://anamei.net/files/ONA/WebPlayer/WebPlayer.html

I'd like to hear feedback on this - what you liked, what you didn't like, what you wanted to do, etc.

My recent thought was to remove the menu aspect and treat it like old Command & Conquer style building and let you instead select and add turrets to command groups just like an RTS, then allow you to target asteroids manually, etc.
J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2011, 10:30:26 PM »

Oh man, it's so smooth!  I like the graphics!

I like that the guns don't seem to actually blow up the asteroids like I'm used to, but just decrease/alter its velocity.  So instead of going for firepower and blowing things up, the best way to avoid a collision is to shoot the asteroid perpendicular to it's course and out of the way so it passes by the earth safely.

Also, I like that I can have one dialog box open, then open another one elsewhere without closing the first one.  E.g. I can go to place a platform, but then realize I need to upgrade a turret somewhere else first, but then go back to the platform thing afterward with a single click instead of having to open a new box.  I've never seen this in a RTS/TD game before and I think it's neat.  Although if the boxes got too big with options or there were too many open it would obviously get cluttered fast.

It seems like the asteroids themselves have a ton of velocity and the turrets don't have a lot of stopping power.  It also seems like they should be ruined completely when they    I don't know how you're planning on implementing increased  difficulty later on, or if the guns are eventually going to disintegrate the asteroids.

hi
Anaryu
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2011, 09:46:21 PM »

Oh man, it's so smooth!  I like the graphics!

I like that the guns don't seem to actually blow up the asteroids like I'm used to, but just decrease/alter its velocity.  So instead of going for firepower and blowing things up, the best way to avoid a collision is to shoot the asteroid perpendicular to it's course and out of the way so it passes by the earth safely.

Also, I like that I can have one dialog box open, then open another one elsewhere without closing the first one.  E.g. I can go to place a platform, but then realize I need to upgrade a turret somewhere else first, but then go back to the platform thing afterward with a single click instead of having to open a new box.  I've never seen this in a RTS/TD game before and I think it's neat.  Although if the boxes got too big with options or there were too many open it would obviously get cluttered fast.

It seems like the asteroids themselves have a ton of velocity and the turrets don't have a lot of stopping power.  It also seems like they should be ruined completely when they    I don't know how you're planning on implementing increased  difficulty later on, or if the guns are eventually going to disintegrate the asteroids.

I've added a second type of turret that is very heavy and takes the collisions better.

Guns are still really weak on purpose, so you get to see how things interact.

You can highlight and select turrets that can shoot and aim them as specific asteroids now too; you can use the standard RTS control groups (Ctrl+1 to set group 1, press 1 to select those, etc.)

Would be more than happy to hear more feedback (posted this for feedback in two places and only 2 people have even bothered to comment!)

http://anamei.net/files/ONA/WebPlayer/WebPlayer.html

Thanks!
Anaryu
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2011, 04:14:32 PM »

First post updated, we finished the first version!

I didn't get nearly as far into this as I wanted to, no tutorial level and not enough waves for the game, I wanted to do multiple levels and a progressive story as well, but the holiday season really got in the way this year!

I do plan to have some more fun and progress this (and see about changing the controls a bit, especially for the non-web version.)
mike_st
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2012, 06:31:23 AM »

Really liked the physics and the overall gameplay. Too bad it's only one level. Played a few times to test different weapons. I only found the tractor beam hard to use. Also some keyboard shortcuts might be useful (especially for upgrades).
Herr Schnurrbart
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2012, 01:47:32 PM »

A cool take on the TD-Genre!
I set up my stuff that while the small asteroids were blasted into pieces, the big ones were either held in place or simply pushed away.
This is great fun!
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic