Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411632 Posts in 69393 Topics- by 58447 Members - Latest Member: sinsofsven

May 13, 2024, 02:35:41 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitions[2012] Incomitat
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: [2012] Incomitat  (Read 2813 times)
Hempuli‽
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« on: December 21, 2011, 09:09:11 AM »

Hi!

Ludum Dare #22 was last weekend, and I created a game called Incomitat for it. It has a post-apocalyptic setting, and since I felt I couldn't quite get everything I wanted to the game, I thought it might be a cool idea to enter it into this compo as well and see how far I can get it this time. I hope this is ok; just say here if not!

Incomitat

I live on this island. Yeah, I've always just lived here. What? Something strange on the island? Surely not! I mean, I would've noticed, having lived here like, forever? Yeah, it's a wonderful life, hunting birds and bunnies and picking some mushrooms (don't ask about the mushrooms):

Now that you mention it, I haven't really visited the other parts of the island in a long time. Like, really long time. Checking wont hurt, right?

Yeah, looks totally fine. Nothing weird here. Kinda barren, I suppose, but OHMYDERPWHATOVERUSEDNARRATIVESTYLE

--
The game is mostly an attempt to find use for my island generator thing I made earlier. The main idea is that the player is able to freely explore the island, and I'll try to put a lot of content and secrets for them. The game consists basically of 2 layers of gameplay - the basic survival and then the exploration. I realize while writing that this sounds pretty silly and similar to those millions of Minecraft/Terraria-esque things, but the main point here is that the game'll try to give the player sort of an ominous experience, in the sense of "ok, something has happened here and my objective is to try to explore and find out what". I think I'm going to use a format where there are multiple 'sidequest'-like activity chains, that ultimately end up with you facing a boss of some sort (or maybe not, depending on the type of the 'quest'). On top of these there would be a few smaller things to find.

After finishing the LD build I noted how much inspiration the game got (read: stole) from cactus' LIFE/DEATH/ISLAND. I hope though that they'll be quite different in the end. Since there's christmas coming, the final product probably wont have all that much newly new content, but I hope to be able to at least fix some bugs in the engine and perhaps add another boss-like creature. What makes working on a game like this a lot of fun is that there really are no limits (other than technical).

Example of a map:

--
Here's some kind of a to-do list:
  • Make hunger less deadly
  • More foodstuffs to eat
  • Redo the inventory system, the current one sucks!
  • Make days last longer
  • Some more wildlife (Lizards? Deers? Spiders?)
  • Meteor sidequest (or part of it, kinda large, this one)
  • Abandoned bunker sidequest (or at least some kind of base for underground areas)
« Last Edit: December 21, 2011, 06:55:24 PM by Hempuli‽ » Logged

Hempuli‽
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2011, 07:56:23 PM »

Some progress.

J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2011, 10:20:35 PM »

I hope this is ok; just say here if not!
OK: mak gam

hi
Ashkin
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2011, 11:10:00 PM »

Hempuli ilu. Just in case you didn't know.
eyeliner
Level 10

I'm afraid of americans...

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2011, 03:04:55 AM »

MOAR!

Yeah.
Geti
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2011, 04:17:21 AM »

It'll be nice to see this tricked out some more. I still haven't had time for a proper session with it since LD. Consider making transitional zones between the biomes, its kinda stark as is. Just see what biomes meet around bridging tiles and create suitable rectangles or something Smiley

Cosr
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2011, 11:59:54 PM »

Left some feedback on your LD entry, so here I'll just say that I'm really looking forward to more.

I'm liking that progress screenshot you posted. I'm sorta hoping that's a unique location. Having a bunch of unique locations you can scatter over the island would really be a nice touch to the exploration.

Hempuli‽
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2011, 04:55:15 AM »

It indeed is such. In the next version the weird ring of skulls found in the ruins will also be unique, along with some other areas.

anonymous
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2011, 04:59:49 PM »

I had a chance to look at it, I thought it was a way cool concept. 

One thing that bothered me was using the hoe, and having to click within a set radius, which was only confined to spaces adjacent.  I think it might play nicer if acted the same way as using your axe, not having to click in any fixed radius, but would affect immediate tiles in the direction the character would be facing.

Hunger meter, made it difficult, which I like, but maybe if there was more food sources available the hungrier you were.
Hempuli‽
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2011, 05:31:20 AM »

No compo build coming! I miscalculated the social aspect of christmas/new year! Sorry about that.  Embarrassed

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic