Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411526 Posts in 69381 Topics- by 58436 Members - Latest Member: GlitchyPSI

May 02, 2024, 05:53:47 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsJedi streetfighter (Name in progress)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Jedi streetfighter (Name in progress)  (Read 1807 times)
necromian
Level 2

ʘ_ʘ

View Profile WWW
« on: October 03, 2011, 11:58:45 AM »

This is a 4 player fighting/platforming game based on light saber battles. You move your mouse around to swing your lightsaber, and you can use special abilities to fling debris and other objects at your opponents.

Also, all animations are generated in runtime, so players can have full control over how their character looks. They can load images of themselves and the program will animate them to move and run and swing their arms.

Here's the checklist

Complete
  • Platforming engine
  • Animation engine
  • Lightsaber engine
  • 3d background manipulation (not in this build)
  • Object collisions with lightsaber
  • Secondary object manipulation abilities (right click)
  • Custom sprite importing

To do
  • GUI
  • Sword on Sword collisions
  • Win and loss conditions (health)
  • Online multiplayer
  • Main menu
  • Update graphics, backgrounds, etc.
  • Beta test

Download most recent build:
-------------
WITH pseudo3d background effect (if you try this one then please tell me how your framerate was)
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?8hg93e3kihst9h9
-------------
WITHOUT effect
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?rakz2h6330jd9g4
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 09:47:04 PM by necromian » Logged
necromian
Level 2

ʘ_ʘ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2011, 03:32:41 PM »

Exceptionally long motion trails. Yea or nay?

Merged animation and swordfighting engine. About to merge that with a platforming engine and soon the pseudo 3d one. Things are going to start picking up more soon hopefully.

(Added download link to the first post. Note that this is a super sloppy engine, but it shouldn't take a long time to clean up. All things considered it's one of the more advanced 2d engines I've seen in game maker)

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?ti8cy7bo92ku8ht
« Last Edit: October 03, 2011, 04:34:07 PM by necromian » Logged
necromian
Level 2

ʘ_ʘ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2011, 06:52:08 PM »

Updated with a new build. Added a less eye-killing background, platforming, simple enemy sword collisions, etc.

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?72g9e1r6op041d2
necromian
Level 2

ʘ_ʘ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2011, 09:46:09 PM »

Working more on platforming and such. Removed 3d background manipulation because it slows down the game too much. Might re-implement in the future with less polygons. Anyways, the game is starting to feel like a brawl based combat fighter (4 players probably). I guess this could either work for an arcade-style game or an online multiplayer game. Once I implement simple character creation/editing then multiplayer is the most likely option.

Anyways I guess here's my plan for the next few days of updates -
-Continue to tweak movement animation code, add code for jumping animation.
-Finish tweaking physics (movement speed/jumping height)
-Allow importing of custom character limbs/torso/head.
-Add secondary weapons (lightning bolt, gravity well, bunch of ragdoll stuff for throwing opponents around)
-Add powerups for secondary weapons.
-Add sword on sword fighting mechanics
-AI?
-Begin working on multiplayer (after learning 39.dll presumably)
-Pretty up graphics
-Add GUI
-Beta test
-Finish game

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?xhhuo3e9bxjr58j
necromian
Level 2

ʘ_ʘ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2011, 11:54:28 PM »

Some late night work. Got custom characters working, and to celebrate I took some of the ugliest sprites I could find and stretched them way out of proportion to make them even uglier. However it animates correctly! It also generates a hitbox based on bounding boxes, so even if players make their characters look like a giant phallus, at least collisions will still be pixel perfect!

Pretty much finished the first 4 of my check marks below. I'll upload a version of the engine tomorrow where you can import custom sprites for head, torso, arms, and legs.
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2011, 07:09:19 AM »

I approve of a lightsaber game Beer!

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
necromian
Level 2

ʘ_ʘ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2011, 01:01:34 PM »

Thank you! Hopefully I won't disappoint.

New build, this time with the ability to load in custom limbs and whatnot. Check it out!

Of course now I have to throw in some sort of balancing method so that it's not advantageous to make an especially huge or tiny character. Probably some sort of speed and power balance.

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?nwv4wbaxq1kcfre  cheers!
necromian
Level 2

ʘ_ʘ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2011, 05:23:42 PM »

Greatly increased hitbox detection for swords. Now when your sword hits an object then it actually calculates the arc of the sword and sees if there's a collision, as opposed to just seeing if it collides with a static sword. The result is that the sword is a lot more useful, and can be used to bat away projectiles and such. Also I'm slowly adding a system where there will be debris on the battlefield, and you can use your secondary powers to fling them around at opponents.
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?mgur4we1vbmuz3b
necromian
Level 2

ʘ_ʘ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2011, 09:43:48 PM »

Added a new build - http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?9m79xihfje5ry5c

Messing with different approaches to physics and saber handling. Added some secondary powers and such. Gameplay will definitely be multi-fighter combat. The character is far too overpowered to be able to fight ai's. I'm definitely looking for somebody on the art side to help me out though. Meanwhile I'm going to get started on learning how to create online matches.
necromian
Level 2

ʘ_ʘ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2011, 11:56:30 PM »

Everybody likes crt effects right? They're all the rage.

On a related note the first post is updated with build 7. Things of note - the game no longer looks like eye diarrhea.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 12:38:22 AM by necromian » Logged
necromian
Level 2

ʘ_ʘ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2011, 06:40:58 PM »

Adding some enemy types for a single player game. Still tweaking movement and object physics, but it's pretty much all done.

Build 8 - http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?rakz2h6330jd9g4
SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2011, 06:49:53 PM »

The faux scanlines are cute.

Online multiplayer would make this game fantastic. I was a huge fan of ATARI Lightsaber Dual.
necromian
Level 2

ʘ_ʘ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2011, 09:48:16 PM »

The faux scanlines are cute.

Online multiplayer would make this game fantastic. I was a huge fan of ATARI Lightsaber Dual.
Thanks! I'm working on online multiplayer, but unfortunately it looks like it might be a bit of a challenge to learn how to do.

Also I updated the first post with an alternative version of the newest build that includes a graphically intensive pseudo3d background effect.
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2011, 05:14:22 AM »

tested 3D version
FPS:20/60

-Could you please add arrow key support. I can't play with wasd
-for some reason the lightsaber doesn't move enough with the left click. I have to use right click to make it move satisfactorily, is that normal?
-player moves a bit slow

Other than that, everything is nice. Make some good levels and it should become a good game.

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
necromian
Level 2

ʘ_ʘ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2011, 07:51:12 AM »

tested 3D version
FPS:20/60

-Could you please add arrow key support. I can't play with wasd
-for some reason the lightsaber doesn't move enough with the left click. I have to use right click to make it move satisfactorily, is that normal?
-player moves a bit slow

Other than that, everything is nice. Make some good levels and it should become a good game.
I'll add arrow key for the next build. Also, the lightsaber isn't supposed to move with left click. The left mouse button is to hold the lightsaber in place for stabbing, and if you let go of left click after moving the mouse, then the player will slash. The normal mouse control is to play without clicking any mouse buttons. Also if you use the right mouse button then the character should use the lightning bolt move, so that's not normal.

Also the player moves should move at an acceptable speed if the game is running at full speed. I'll increase it a bit though.

I think the speed problem comes from a bunch of the iterated primitive drawing effects. I'll try to tone down some of the effects without having that much of a visual impact. The speed issue will mostly be fixed once I replace things like the explosion effect with a sprite.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic