Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411582 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 06, 2024, 12:53:45 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogs[JRPG] Light Fairytale series (EDIT: physical release!)
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 21
Print
Author Topic: [JRPG] Light Fairytale series (EDIT: physical release!)  (Read 59372 times)
neko.works
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #140 on: April 25, 2016, 08:28:58 AM »

I've never thought about the color blindness issue. I'll see what I can do. Thanks for the link!

ESeion
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: April 25, 2016, 10:57:21 PM »

Hi!

Have you though about putting some kind of visual information on which character is selected in 3D? That is, not in the interface, something like an arrow or a cone above the character. I think it'd be nice. Also maybe use different color for better contrast on the numbers on the character info, it's kinda hard to look at.

Otherwise I'd say the battle interface looks good.
neko.works
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #142 on: April 26, 2016, 08:50:08 AM »

Actually, I did try to indicate the current character with the same arrow as the command windows, but didn't like it as I thought it was confusing for the player, as he might think that he is controlling the status window arrow.

Anyway, here's how the UI looks now with a bit more tweaking:

UaSirideain
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: April 26, 2016, 07:44:58 PM »

Bookmarked! You've got something interesting here.

I wonder might the interface look more suitable if you went for more muted colours, though. It wants to pull my eyes away from the beautiful artwork above it.
ESeion
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: April 26, 2016, 11:33:56 PM »

The new interface looks so much better.
neko.works
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #145 on: April 27, 2016, 09:04:00 AM »

Thanks guys Wink

Updated post 1 with new screenshots, including a few old scenes with the new camera FXs, and a full shot of the battle UI.

neko.works
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #146 on: April 28, 2016, 11:24:27 AM »

Here's a quick battle GIF to see the new UI in action.

As you can see, the battles are fast (this whole battle is around 10 seconds), turn-based and occur directly in the field (without switching to an arena such as in most retro JRPGs).

I've also made 3 themes for the UI so far: Light (default, and used in the promo / screenshots), dark and blue (which I suppose will be fan's favorite). I'll probably add even more!

Any thoughts? Smiley

Tuba
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #147 on: April 28, 2016, 12:21:17 PM »

Very cool transition to battle Smiley

UaSirideain
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: April 28, 2016, 01:08:03 PM »

Liking the blue. Also liking how neat and quick the transition is. Looking really good.
MegaTiny
Level 1

Wew lad

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: April 28, 2016, 04:42:08 PM »

I think you're guessing right about the blue. Also love the battle transition, it's quick and painless. I've been re-playing ff9 recently and the way you have to watch the camera do fifteen panning shots before the combat begins is starting to grate a bit.

Quick question: are the characters going to eventually move to attack the enemies, or will their animations always be stationary?

neko.works
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #150 on: April 29, 2016, 09:07:42 AM »

Thanks guys Smiley

@MegaTiny: The characters will stay in their positions just like on this GIF.
I think the JRPGs that had characters moving when attacking where looking for realism. I'm not going in that direction, I mean, turn-based battles don't make any sense anyway!

neko.works
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #151 on: May 01, 2016, 03:24:18 PM »

Hi guys Smiley

Here's a new gameplay video showcasing the first battles.

Please check it out and tell me what do you think about it. Thanks Wink

Lares Yamoir
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #152 on: May 01, 2016, 05:03:39 PM »

It looks good for a wip. I recommend to add more sound effects as the next step, because it was kind of weird to hear sound for some actions, but not all. Hitting an enemy for example was missing, but getting hit by the enemy was not. Although that's to be expected for a wip obviously.

However there were two things that stood out and were not missing assets:
1) It seems that every time you change the map, an arrow will be displayed over the hero's head. I find that strange, because I don't see a reason for having that.
2) At around 1:50 you see the battle from a far away position. Too far in my opinion. For special attacks or whatever this might be ok, but it shouldn't be a normal battle view.

eyeliner
Level 10

I'm afraid of americans...

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: May 02, 2016, 03:31:36 AM »

I like the seamless battle arena. Letting the worker work in the background is neat, but it would be way over awesome if he check the battle or had some kind of animation triggering randomly when the battle occurs, like looking at the battle area.

You have nice possibility. If you are closer to the worker, why not having him throw something, like an helping item into the battle, at a very low chance?

Good job!

Yeah.
neko.works
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #154 on: May 02, 2016, 04:08:40 AM »

Thanks guys for the feedback Smiley

@Lares Yamoir: Yep, this is still a WIP, and some sound effects are missing.

The arrow on the head is to indicate that the gameplay has started. For instance just after a cutscene. But yes, it might be annoying to use it all the time. I'll see what I can do!

Currently the camera is randomized during the battle actions. The zoomed-out view is never used when the player enter his commands, so I don't think that the visibility is a major problem here.

@eyeliner: Actually, there's a funny dialogue if you go talk to the worker just after the first battle!

Also, I was planning to add environment interactions during the battles, depending on the position of the players / enemies and the surrounding objects. Didn't implement any yet, but I do have this on my todo list!

io3 creations
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #155 on: May 02, 2016, 09:27:01 AM »

Although RPG isn't my genre, I really like the visual style of your game! Smiley

As for the worker in the background, I found it somewhat strange that he/she/it/other(?) didn't even react to the events. 
That might be possible it the worker is:
-a robot so it just follows it's programming or AI.
-someone really powerful or can control those creatures and wouldn't be threatened by them.
-has a deal with those creatures.

Otherwise, if it isn't explained, it would break at least some part of the illusion.

neko.works
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #156 on: May 02, 2016, 09:57:41 AM »

@io3 creations: As I said in my last reply to @eyeliner, I made the worker not reacting to the battles on purpose, for a funny dialogue if you go talk to him just after the first battle!

io3 creations
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #157 on: May 02, 2016, 10:02:28 AM »

@io3 creations: As I said in my last reply to @eyeliner, I made the worker not reacting to the battles on purpose, for a funny dialogue if you go talk to him just after the first battle!
Yes, I saw that but will his dialogue explain why he didn't react?

neko.works
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #158 on: May 02, 2016, 10:30:33 AM »

Yes, if you talk to him just after the first battle, he will say this, still working and not even looking at the player:
"Giant Spiders? Come on kid, I don't have the time to play!".

There are 3 variations for this dialogue depending on the moment you talk to him: Before the battles (working and super busy), after the first battle and after the boss. All of this just for this first part of the game, there will be others later.

io3 creations
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #159 on: May 02, 2016, 11:11:27 AM »

Cool!  Those scenarios do cover the type of explanation I was looking for and are indeed funny! Grin

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 21
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic