Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411597 Posts in 69387 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: YomiKu_0

May 07, 2024, 11:16:21 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignGenre Mash-Ups
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
Print
Author Topic: Genre Mash-Ups  (Read 22289 times)
magnum_opus
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2009, 04:07:49 PM »

I think shooter meets RTS should be expanded on. There are squad games, and Battalion Wars, but I'd really like to see a a game that flows more. Or rather, has more action and more tactics.

if you mean like FPS shooter look into Battlezone and Hostile Waters: Antaeus Rising

Bree
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2009, 04:15:04 PM »

Okay, this is a really random thought, may be totally stupid, but whatever...

The point of a first person game is that you have direct control over your avatar, yes? Unless it's a light-gun type o' deal, but yeah. So what could you do in a first-person rhythm? It wouldn't necessarily have the traditional falling gems style of Guitar Hero and its ilk- the player would not be forced to follow the exact beat created by the developers. But, how do you make that rhythmic? What if, instead of your normal FPS gameplay, every single event was placed in synchronized loops, like samples on a track? We encounter this a lot already, with enemies having set paths to guard and pace back and forth. But suppose that everything you did was based on the rhythm of the level. It'd be a little difficult to put into words exactly, but think about it like this: When a lot of people play a game like Ninja Gaiden or even bullet hell shmups, they play to the rhythm of the stage- even if it's not outright musical, the stage has a specific flow that the player can anticipate and react to, in the same way they anticipate and react to colored gems. Only in this case, the gem would be a guard, or a grenade, or a chasm you needed to clear. So, what you could have is a rhythm game disguised as a FPS, in the same way that Minubeat was a rhythm game disguised as a shmup. With a multiplayer FPS, you could have people playing multiple instruments to add extra layers to the sound, rewarding players who follow the basic beat, but not punishing those who decide to deviate a little. Each level would have a basic beat, indicated by stimuli in the level- scenery could thump in time or whatever- and a player could review his last run with a cinematic camera, like in Rock Band. Extra modes could allow for increased/decreased tempo, to change up the difficulty...

...I'm gonna stop for now. My brain's a little fried.
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2009, 04:33:22 PM »

Excerpt from the pitch thread:

An old idea I had that is ALSO a mash up:

A fighter where to build up combos, you have to attack to 'the beat', and after doing that for a while and perfectly 'syncing' with it, you gain access to these attacks called 'Waves'. The story is, a mysterious energy hits the Earth, and imbues people with access to The Beat, essentially giving life to things, and giving powers to living things. But only to a select chosen. The problem is, mysterious beings from space called Audians are arriving... and everyone is hunting down the Impact Site of where the Wave hit, to get it's ultimate power...
Bree
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2009, 04:46:53 PM »

Square-Enix made a rhythm/beat-em-up called Bust a Groove on the first Playstation. Got a sequel, too. Haven't played either, so I couldn't really say how good they are.
Kegluneq
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2009, 06:12:58 PM »

First: Side-scrolling brawler / RPG mashup: Ragnarok Battle Offline. Great game.
Second: Idea for rhythm fighter: Each song stage would be very similar to DDR, arrows scroll along the bottom and you have to press the right direction at the right moment in time with the beat. But beating the level isn't done by getting a high-enough score on the song beat, but by beating up a bad-guy that an avatar of yours will fight as the music plays. The left and down arrows dodge, and the up and right arrows attack. Each time the song tells you to press an arrow, that is to either dodge his attack or take advantage of an opening in his defense. You could defeat the enemy before the song ends by watching the enemy for openings that the song doesn't indicate. Difficulty could be rated on song speed and how much the song guides your fight.
Hmm, I kinda wanna make this now...
gunswordfist
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2009, 06:37:11 PM »

Innovation is one of the biggest things we look for in games. That being said, something that really raises eyebrows is when a game combines two genres. Toribash mixes fightering with strategy. The new DS game Henry Hatsworth combines platforming and classic block puzzles. What genres would you like to see mashed up?

I'd personally like to see RPG mixed with shmup. You can level up your weapons and character, but when you start up a battle, it becomes a shmup.

I'd also like to see an FPS mixed with a 2.5D platformer. Crazy platforming sections are sidescrolling, but then you get into a room filled with enemies and it turns into an FPS.
Astro Boy Omega Factor is the greatest example of a Shoot Em Up with RPG elements.

Anyway, I'd like to see a pure First Person Beat Em Up (Riddick and Condemned don't count). There's nothing like catching punches and throwing accurate head kicks in first person view.

Indie games I have purchased:
Spelunky
Shoot 1UP
Bree
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2009, 03:40:34 AM »

You might wanna check out Zeno Clash. It's a first-person brawler with a trippy art design that's coming out in a little bit.
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2009, 03:48:44 AM »

tbh I don't really like genre mash-ups. They always seem very forced, like the developers just wedged together the most prominent elements from the two genres without much thought as to whether they would actually work together. Henry Hatsworth is a perfect example: there's such a horrible disparity between the platforming and the block-matching.

Mikademus
Level 10

The Magical Owl

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2009, 04:09:01 AM »

tbh I don't really like genre mash-ups. They always seem very forced, like the developers just wedged together the most prominent elements from the two genres without much thought as to whether they would actually work together. Henry Hatsworth is a perfect example: there's such a horrible disparity between the platforming and the block-matching.

Most stuff new has come from combining prior models.

\\\"There\\\'s a tendency among the press to attribute the creation of a game to a single person,\\\" says Warren Spector, creator of Thief and Deus Ex. --IGN<br />My compilation of game engines for indies
Ego_Shiner
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2009, 05:22:57 AM »

I would really like to see more fighting game/beat-em ups. I know they're already very similar, but there's not many beat-em-ups with the depth of street fighter 3.

Lo
Mikademus
Level 10

The Magical Owl

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2009, 05:41:20 AM »

I would really like to see more fighting game/beat-em ups. I know they're already very similar, but there's not many beat-em-ups with the depth of street fighter 3.

Are you talking about a mixture of a scrolling brawler game and a fighting game? There haven't been many. Way of the Exploding Fist 2. The special bonus Tekken and Bushido Blade game modes. It would be a very cool game...

\\\"There\\\'s a tendency among the press to attribute the creation of a game to a single person,\\\" says Warren Spector, creator of Thief and Deus Ex. --IGN<br />My compilation of game engines for indies
Ego_Shiner
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2009, 06:03:58 AM »

Thats it exactly. I know there are a few (spawn from the SNES is another good example), I would just like to see more.

Lo
null & void
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2009, 06:09:34 AM »

William, I agree. But when it's done right, I always, always love it. Anything Q? touches is a great example. (With the possible exception of Ninety-Nine Nights, which I haven't played...) The key is to integrate both aspects of the game seamlessly to the degree where you don't have to stop what you're doing with one to do the other.
GregWS
Level 10

a module, repeatable in any direction and rotation

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 17, 2009, 06:53:10 AM »

Rez.  Addicted

Everyday Shooter.  Addicted Addicted Addicted

Yes, music mash-ups are key.  Kiss

OK fine descriptions: both games kick ass because the spatial dimension of the level is synced with the music.  I've heard Rez described as the opposite of the classic Goethe quote "architecture is frozen music," with Rez being "music as fluid architecture," and I haven't experienced anything quite like that since.  And making music in Everyday Shooter is so incredible; the procedural side keeps that game feeling so fresh, and the music is so good.  Kiss Kiss Kiss
null & void
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 17, 2009, 07:00:35 AM »

Rez is one of the first games I played for the 6th generation consoles. There won't ever be anything else like it unless Mizuguchi decides to make a sequel or someone finally completes a Rez clone. (I've seen two for the PC, neither ever got past the earliest stages...)
GregWS
Level 10

a module, repeatable in any direction and rotation

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 17, 2009, 07:09:29 AM »

Well, I've heard more-or-less solid rumours that Miz is working on a sequal.  And equally legit rumours that he's working on a Wii game, so maybe they're one in the same.

Rez needs head tracking.  Nuff said.
gunswordfist
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: March 17, 2009, 11:12:29 AM »

You might wanna check out Zeno Clash. It's a first-person brawler with a trippy art design that's coming out in a little bit.
Sounds interesting. What platformer is it coming out on?
EDIT: Saw the trailer! HELL YES!!!!!!!!

Indie games I have purchased:
Spelunky
Shoot 1UP
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 17, 2009, 02:22:43 PM »

Oh, Space Invaders Extreme is a music shooter, in a sense. Killing enemies adds sound effects to the music. Every enemy adds a different sound.
Kneecaps
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 17, 2009, 02:29:40 PM »

Oh, Space Invaders Extreme is a music shooter, in a sense. Killing enemies adds sound effects to the music. Every enemy adds a different sound.

Oh crap.  Now this is going to turn into a "games as music" debate. Lips Sealed

Yes, any game with sound can be a music game, but is it high music?
Bree
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: March 17, 2009, 02:31:38 PM »

There's a game that was recently released on WiiWare called Bit Trip Beat that is essentially a rhythm game disguised as Pong. I wasn't terribly convinced until I saw the trailer. I'll have to look around for it, though...

Oh, and games are totally music.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic