Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411596 Posts in 69387 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: YomiKu_0

May 07, 2024, 09:19:20 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignOf Mice and Moving Platforms
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Of Mice and Moving Platforms  (Read 4857 times)
AlexWeldon
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2009, 11:07:30 AM »

I like this idea because it implies some pretty sick sequence breaking, to me.  I wouldn't say that it doesn't break the level design.  But it sure would be fun to mess with.  Especially if platforms that are 'catching up' and moving faster do add their speed to a riding player's jumps.

Well, the point is that the platform always gets back to its intended position eventually. When I said it doesn't break the level design, I mean, it's impossible for the player to get stuck because he got the platforms shifted into an arrangement where the jumps are now impossible. Of course, in some cases the player might figure out a way of manipulating the platform to get somewhere that he wouldn't be able to otherwise, but that's not necessarily a bad thing - in fact, some secrets could rely on it.

Games, Puzzles and Game Design Blog: http://www.benefactum.ca
___
Vice President of Marketing, Romeo Pie Software
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2009, 02:36:43 PM »

Yeah, I actually have been thinking a lot about the real position and the intended position stuff -- I didn't list it in my original post because I couldn't really figure out how I would do it, but perhaps I should just dive in head first and go for it.  (I'm not a very smart programmer Grin)
Matt Thorson
Level 7

c'est la vie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2009, 10:32:58 AM »

I think I told you this on MSN, but my solution is to just make the moving platformer jump-through-able.  This way it can pass right through the player like thin air.

And I hate moving platforms that kill the player in the majority of cases.  Unless it's a fundamental gameplay mechanic or something (and is obvious to the player), it just ends up being annoying.

AlexWeldon
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2009, 03:44:37 AM »

Yeah, I actually have been thinking a lot about the real position and the intended position stuff -- I didn't list it in my original post because I couldn't really figure out how I would do it, but perhaps I should just dive in head first and go for it.  (I'm not a very smart programmer Grin)

Well, take a look at the code I provided... in the simple form I gave, it's pretty easy. Depending on the physics of your world, you might not want to have it go straight to top speed as soon as the obstruction is removed... you could have it accelerate over the course of three or four frames, but that's a refinement.

Incidentally, this trick is something you'll also want to use if you ever do an Arkanoid-type paddle game, to avoid the controls being too twitchy - the mouse position is the intended, and the paddle constantly moves towards the intended position at up to its max velocity.

Games, Puzzles and Game Design Blog: http://www.benefactum.ca
___
Vice President of Marketing, Romeo Pie Software
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2009, 02:04:52 PM »

Huzzah!

I've accomplished the moving platform problem with desired position vs. actual position.  The desired position moves as normal, turning around and such for solids.  Then the actual position get's a speed value based on how far away it is from the desired position.  When the actual platform is going to crush a physics object (something running in the platforming engine) then it stops.  The desired position keeps going through, so everything stays nice and synced, the player doesn't get crushed, and nothing looks buggy.

I'M KING OF THE WORLD!
ChevyRay
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2009, 01:15:24 AM »

ALL HAIL! Beer!

Sounds good, dude.
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic