Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411605 Posts in 69388 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: gravitygat

May 08, 2024, 05:43:32 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignHow do I communicate this?
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: How do I communicate this?  (Read 4511 times)
Gainsworthy
Level 10

BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS...

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2009, 06:20:52 PM »

You could start with a car half-way in the hole, that blocks the player's progress. The player, coming up against the car, would push against it and the car would go down the hole, fall a really long way, explode or whatever.

That way you can indicate that the hole is deadly in a relatively non-staged-looking way, and also stop people from walking in before they notice it.

Ooh. I like that one! Nothing like interacting with a deadly object (without dying) to prove its danger.
Wilson Saunders
Level 5

Nobody suspects the hamster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2009, 01:19:08 PM »

You could let the player figure it out the hard way (by killing them for the miss step). If you don't want to kill the player, you could have the avatar teater on the edge of the pit waving his arms if the player tries to walk over the pit.

Play my games at http://monkeydev.com/
kavs
Level 2

Brad Kavanagh

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2009, 12:46:40 AM »

Quick paintover I did. It'd look nicer if a) my tablet worked and b) it wasn't 1:30am. ^^

The only things I changed were the rotation of the hill and the color of the backdrop. It makes it seem more of a pit that way and helps add some contrast to the foreground/background. The added rotation/height probably isn't even necessary; I just wanted to see what it'd look like. I think the player gets used to seeing straight horizonal ground plane, so when you add in some diversity it demands extra attention and they might stop to think about why the terrain is changing like this.

I'd say you don't need to sell the idea that falling into a pit is a bad thing; just make the pit visible to the player and it should be evident that it's a bad thing to do. If they die it (should) only happen once, so no big deal. They'll just take it as a lesson learned.

Shrug

Klaim
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2009, 03:03:38 PM »

Sorry to be late, in fact in my answer what I suggested was something like this :

Kegluneq
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2009, 08:53:55 PM »

As the protagonist approaches the pit, have a bad guy come charging at him and fall down the pit screaming.
As a side note: I really like the character's sprite.
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic