Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411594 Posts in 69387 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: YomiKu_0

May 08, 2024, 01:54:27 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignDesign Idea: Automated Internet Macro Service!
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Design Idea: Automated Internet Macro Service!  (Read 1350 times)
Lukas
Level 3

View Profile
« on: June 23, 2009, 12:28:38 PM »

Hey!

I recently thought of a webbased service that might actually turn out to be pretty cool (/popular, but we're in an indie-board here, right?).

Introduction
Some of you might know a Mac OSX application by the name of "Automator". What it does is basically enabling you to build any Macro of in-OS actions you can chain together and then execute anytime you want. You can directly tell certain applications to do certain things or simply record some mouse-actions (positions, clicks) to basically chain together whatever you want.

One day I thought: Heck, what if there was something like that for the internet?
Then I went on thinking about the whole thing and soon I realized that it could be pretty cool - under one condition: Automation of the processes that even takes place when my computer is offline -> The Macros have to be executed by an external server.

The actual idea
So what if:
There was a web-based, registration/log-in requiring (basically free?) service that allowed users to create and execute such macros.
Each user would get a tiny little bit of webspace (some megabytes for macros and as a clipboard) and a restricted amount of traffic.
(will specify further down below)
So the website of this service could offer it's own little development-environment for macros. There would basically be a list and command-lines you could fill either by hand (typing) or with a graphical menu that suggests available commands.
Another great (but more complicated to execute) thing would be a "virtual browser window" in the actual browser in which the user could simply record certain mouseklicks and keyboard inputs. The number of command-lines in the editor aswell as the clipboard-space (for copied and temporarily downloaded data) should be limited to keep the service's server(s)'s traffic in a reasonable range.

So after the macro(s) is(/are) created, the fun part begins: automation!
The user can specify certain periods or specific dates for the macros to be executed. Examples:
- Every 10 Minutes (minimum interval to prevent misuse and traffic-spam)
- Every 37 Minutes
- Every hour (minutes: 00)
- Every day at 12:00am
- Every week on mondays 12:00am and August 5th 2009 12:32pm
- Execute once:  In 10 Minutes (minimum timespan)
- Ececute one: December 21st 2012.

Those commands can be combined. (say... 3 at a time) Example: "Every full hour and once on: November 2nd 2009".

What this means and what it can do
Once you start thinking about it and get creative you'll most likely get a lot of possible awesome uses of this thing into your head :
Some random idea:
1.: open my facebook-url (for example: facebook.de/lukashenning)
2.: check the newest entry and if it is not older than 11 minutes
3.: if it is not, then copy the entire text-field to the clipboard
4.: log into twitter with my email and password (specified in the code)
5.: select the "write new tweet"-input field
6.: paste what's in my clipboard into the field
7.: Activate the "send"-button
8.: Click "log-out"-button

- do this every 10 minutes
(copies all facebook-status-updates to a twitter-account automatically)

So... what do you think of the idea? Do you have any own ideas, hints, comments or anything else?

BaronCid  Gentleman

I make (60s/70s) rock music. Listen to my band's new album here: www.speicher.bandcamp.com
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2009, 01:05:36 PM »

I think you could become filthy rich, making Bill gates, Steve Jobs, and the youtube creator look like amateurs.
Or maybe it wouldn't work who knows Gentleman

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Lukas
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2009, 01:39:53 PM »

Droop

I make (60s/70s) rock music. Listen to my band's new album here: www.speicher.bandcamp.com
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2009, 01:44:21 PM »

I mean it's a good idea.

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
yesfish
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2009, 03:34:46 AM »

That's a good idea. It doesn't stop at just an execution service though, if you make a list of premade macros users can use like that twitter thing..

Also people could submit ones that they've made, but you'd have to be extra careful to devise system that makes sure the scripts are safe (and not stealing users' passwords).
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic