Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 04:40:08 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignPrometheus's Game Design Preferences
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Author Topic: Prometheus's Game Design Preferences  (Read 29740 times)
Slash - Santiago Zapata
The White Knight
Level 4

Java/Javascript Game Dev

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: February 21, 2007, 03:02:47 PM »

That's actually a really good idea, though I wonder how you position the suit upgrades so they're challenging to get at.
There is a generator that outputs a metadata structure which contains all info about how levels must be interconected; this includes randomly generated themed areas inbetween full of enemies and stuff, also, some of them will probably be located after bosses.

Arne
The Pantymaster
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: February 22, 2007, 12:54:45 AM »

haha a Metroid RL.

I started a RL once, based on Dwarf Fortress, I called it PantyGirl Fortress.
http://web.telia.com/~u48508900/dfg/

The goal was to produce as many panties as possibly in an underground fortress that you dug out. This was done by making crop fields to grow wool and stuff, and then properly irregating those fields by digging channels. I also had some sort of fluid dynamics, where there could be pressure differences, so that way I could make these treadwheels, which powered dynamos, which your clockwork robots winded themself up in. I had stackable objects defined by a rather tricky class system (for materials etc) with a gui function that popped up in the sidebar once they were selected. This was how everything was controlled. The project was epic. Too epic.
(I never finished.)
eobet
Level 4

8-bit childhood

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: February 25, 2007, 07:01:27 AM »

...but you NEVER finish!  Lips Sealed

Anyway, why have you abandoned the poo chat, Prom? Its dead without you now... come back, WE MISS YOOOOOUUUUU!   Cry

Steve Swink
Swank
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: February 25, 2007, 12:42:29 PM »

I'm wondering if Pr0m has played Oblivion.  It seems to conform relatively well to his 10/40/50 formula and is about as freeform as exploration gets.  Plus, the number of mods out there for it has created a pretty amazing situation - you can play the basic game, figure out what you like about it, then alter the gameplay with mods to get more of what you like. For example, you can disable monster leveling relative to your character's current level or turn off the ability to warp long distances across the map (something I dig because it makes each journey a true journey and forces you to explore and plan routes.) It's not perfect, obviously, but it does seem much more interesting than a lot of the tripe that's come out recently.  Can't wait to see what their Fallout game looks like (if it still exists...anyone have the latest on those cancellation rumors?)

Steve Swink
Game Designer, Enemy Airship
Content Director, IGF
sswink (at) enemyairship(dot) com
Inane
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

Arsenic for the Art Forum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: February 25, 2007, 01:46:40 PM »

Cancellation rumors? Err... The three year old ones from back when Interplay was falling like an airplane?
Bethesda has stated pretty explicitly that they have guys working on Fallout 3.

real art looks like the mona lisa or a halo poster and is about being old or having your wife die and sometimes the level goes in reverse
Steve Swink
Swank
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: February 25, 2007, 03:22:02 PM »

Cancellation rumors? Err... The three year old ones from back when Interplay was falling like an airplane?
Bethesda has stated pretty explicitly that they have guys working on Fallout 3.

Hot.  Fallout via Bethesda = delicous mind candy.

Steve Swink
Content Director, IGF
Inane
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: February 25, 2007, 06:12:40 PM »

Fallout via Bethesda = delicous mind candy.
I have to disagree with you there. Did you see the manfaces in Oblivion? How about the dialogue engine where everyone would say the same thing. Oh, and there were those beggars that would always sound like delusional drunks at first, but the moment you ask them something, they switch to the voice EVERYONE else of their race and gender has.

real art looks like the mona lisa or a halo poster and is about being old or having your wife die and sometimes the level goes in reverse
Anthony Flack
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: February 25, 2007, 06:22:33 PM »

back when Interplay was falling like an airplane?
You might want to stop flying with the cheaper airlines.

Currently in development: Cletus Clay
Steve Swink
Swank
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: February 25, 2007, 07:24:44 PM »

Fallout via Bethesda = delicous mind candy.
I have to disagree with you there. Did you see the manfaces in Oblivion? How about the dialogue engine where everyone would say the same thing. Oh, and there were those beggars that would always sound like delusional drunks at first, but the moment you ask them something, they switch to the voice EVERYONE else of their race and gender has.

Well, there are mods that improve the things you're griping about. Seriously, though, did those small problems ruin the entire game for you?  I won't doubt you - I can see it happening - but, man, that would suck.  There's a lot of mighty nice fun to be had in Obvlivion if you can overcome its faults.  Or, you know, mod them away Wink.

Steve Swink
Content Director, IGF
BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: February 28, 2007, 05:52:07 PM »

There's a lot of mighty nice fun to be had in Obvlivion if you can overcome its faults.  Or, you know, mod them away Wink.

Or have a computer that can run Oblivion.  Cry

Keops
Level 6

Pixellin' and Gamedev'n

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: March 21, 2007, 07:42:38 AM »

This is beautiful! Not only contains a wealth of useful insight about the preferences and opinions of the author, the illustrations are beautiful and dead-on! As some of the people said in this thread, I might come with one of these myself when I have some more time! I can do my own illustrations too for eye-candy. Thanks for sharing!

~K

Hearthstead: Hand Point Right Website - Twitter Hand Point Left

OPEN FOR COMMISSIONS! Behance portfolio
FARTRON
Level 4

the last man in space

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: March 30, 2007, 09:20:07 AM »

Or have a computer that can run Oblivion.  Cry

Oh, that's no problem, just install Morrowind.  It's the same game but uglier.

Everything that was once directly lived has receded into a representation. - debord
Inane
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: March 30, 2007, 09:57:25 AM »

Bah. It's also worse. People are just as ugly, and they all say -the exact same thing-.

"Spare some coins for a poor old beggar?"

FARTRON
Level 4

the last man in space

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: March 30, 2007, 10:17:00 AM »

They all said the exact same thing in Morrowind too.  How can you say Oblivion is worse?  Did you fail to notice the HDR?

The trick to enjoying The Elders Scrolls (3 or 4) is to go in expecting a 3D roguelike, because you will be pleased with what is there.  If you expect the kind of ground breaking RPG elements that the lavish reviews promise, you will be disappointed.

Everything that was once directly lived has receded into a representation. - debord
Evil-Ville
« Reply #54 on: March 30, 2007, 01:10:24 PM »

Oblivion looks horrible with all its HDR and bump-map whoring. It makes everything look shiny and plasticy. The level scaled monsters and dungeons are what really kills the game though. (You can beat the main quest easily on level 3 but on level 20 it's almost impossible!)
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic