Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411502 Posts in 69379 Topics- by 58435 Members - Latest Member: graysonsolis

April 30, 2024, 06:39:16 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)Archived ProjectsIndie BrawlIndie Brawl: Support Characters
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 24
Print
Author Topic: Indie Brawl: Support Characters  (Read 122304 times)
Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: January 20, 2010, 04:00:04 PM »

Insta-death is never fun. A low chance of it occurring may make the character more balanced, but doesn't make it any less random or frustrating.

mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: January 20, 2010, 04:19:49 PM »

"I'm going to hit Pinoko, but it doesn't really matter that much, because I have plenty of health. WTF! HOW DID I DIE!!!!!"

My point still stands.
Ersatz
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 20, 2010, 04:20:03 PM »

So then, high damage/impact?
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 20, 2010, 04:26:55 PM »

Okay, a way to appease:

Pinoko OR Uboa can be summoned. It'll have the 1/64 chance that Uboa is summoned. Pinoko appears, and doesn't do anything; weak. You can hit Pinoko if you want and Pinoko doesn't move. Uboa has that low, low chance of appearing; hit him and you get a deadly attack that knocks you back (but not necessarily a 1 hit KO; perhaps just enough to send you into the danger zone)
mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: January 20, 2010, 04:40:42 PM »

That works, but it's really just like having two different assist characters, and one of them is really rare
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 20, 2010, 04:47:03 PM »

True. Perhaps you could make it like so:

When you get close to Pinoko, she has a 1/64 chance of changing into Uboa, and maybe a creepy effect to go alongside it (for warning).
Karuvitomsk
Level 2

Do Not Fear The Tiger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: January 20, 2010, 04:49:55 PM »

Maybe we could prompt players to stay away from Pinoko in some way other than death. How about this: When she decides to turn into Uboa, and we could let her wander around a stage without turning for a while to mess with players, when she turns how about Uboa creates a circular field of constant medium damage? It doesn't even have to be all that fancy -- just Uboa flashing black and white and the field inverting in color and maybe wavering or something.
mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: January 20, 2010, 05:24:44 PM »

Coming near her and changing is good, so you get a warning.
If someone walked towards her and she turned into a freaky head and there was some creepy effects I think it would give the right impression.
Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: January 20, 2010, 05:57:27 PM »

Why would anyone attack her in the first place?

None of the other support characters can be attacked. It's inconsistent.

Ersatz
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 20, 2010, 06:09:36 PM »

Actually, a lot of these ideas make more sense. I kind of thought the initial idea up at 2:00ish am while writing something for school, so it wasn't all that well thought out.
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 20, 2010, 06:15:14 PM »

Why would anyone attack her in the first place?

None of the other support characters can be attacked. It's inconsistent.

I think that's a good point! Perhaps proximity is key! Getting near her causes the effects, trying to touch her damages you and knocks you back a fair distance! Like a living obstacle.
mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: January 20, 2010, 06:16:02 PM »

I think being triggered by attacking is fine. It would act kinda like Wobbuffet from smash bros. None of the other Pokemon could be attacked, yet he worked just fine. None would "want to attack her in the first place". She would just happen to be in the way of your attack. I think we should remove the random chance and make it happen every time, if a bit less powerful. Otherwise it's just another dud character when it doesn't happen.
Laremere
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 21, 2010, 07:40:08 PM »

Support character idea: Damsel in distress from Spelunky.  She would give a kiss and heal the first person to stop next to her or something like that.

If a tree falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it, is sound_tree_fall.play() called?

"Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom."
-Albert Einstein
JMickle
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 22, 2010, 03:49:10 AM »

Support character idea: Damsel in distress from Spelunky.  She would give a kiss and heal the first person to stop next to her or something like that.
She runs around screaming, then whoever picks her up gets a kiss and full healing

Noc
Level 0

Not even I know what I'm doing here.

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 22, 2010, 07:18:31 PM »

I don't know if this idea is:
1) Previously suggested
2) Frowned upon
3) Noobish
4) Unanimously decided to be turned down

I just want to help contribute to this project in what small way i can, so I cast forth the Support Character proposal of The Stickman. The 'Knuckle Joe' or 'Little Mac' of Indie Brawl (If I may liken it to SSBB), The Stickman could run about after characters, assaulting them with quick, low-damage physical attacks.

Sorry if this goes against any rules, spoken or not. I would like to point out, before people start asking me why I would even think something like that, that The Stickman is in a lot of indie games.

I will be following further developments closely.

In his house at R'lyeh, dead Cthulhu waits dreaming.
Blaizer
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: January 22, 2010, 10:56:24 PM »

She runs around screaming, then whoever picks her up gets a kiss and full healing
Full healing is never fun, my most hated item in SSB is the heart. It was removed in SSBM and SSBB because of this...
JMickle
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 23, 2010, 06:41:38 AM »

ah ok. i haven't played SSB a lot so I'm not too up on things like that. But the principle is the same either way.

Blaizer
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 24, 2010, 02:12:23 AM »

Partial healing is always good.
thewojnartist
Level 3

Lead Designer and Artist at WojWorks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: February 04, 2010, 08:05:38 PM »

How about the guy from Glum Buster?

Edit: and for Ogmo, how about we have the big boss from the first Jumper chasing him as he jumps away?
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 08:12:25 PM by Goodbye » Logged
ink.inc
« Reply #79 on: February 04, 2010, 09:35:49 PM »

Glum Buster Kicked ASS.

But the only things I remember him doing were:
Firing red circular projectiles
and
Creating a blue triangle around enemies.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 24
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic