Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411413 Posts in 69360 Topics- by 58415 Members - Latest Member: sophi_26

April 16, 2024, 02:16:10 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)Archived ProjectsIndie BrawlIndie Brawl: Meta
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12
Print
Author Topic: Indie Brawl: Meta  (Read 72858 times)
MaloEspada
« Reply #200 on: September 05, 2010, 05:41:55 PM »

better? how many fighting games have you guys played?

if ryu punches, for example, of course his extended arm is going to count as hitbox. and only the arm, preferably.

therefore, number 2) choice obviously: like normal fighting games.
mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #201 on: September 05, 2010, 07:45:13 PM »

and only the arm, preferably.
Hit box for receiving damage. We already have custom hitboxes for attacks.

I know from messing with melee's debug mode that they use the equivalent of 3.
2 or 3 should both work for most situations though, if you don't count weapons for 2.
Contrary
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: September 05, 2010, 09:48:20 PM »

I think that attacking body parts should be hittable, but only be really high priority moves, and most of the time they should just cancel the move they're colliding with.

Like SSB. You can jab to stop a projectile, or fair to beat an ftilt, but usmash should beat aerials and Falcon Paaaaawwwwwnch beats everything (excluding other F. Paaaawnches and DK punches).
Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #203 on: November 18, 2010, 03:18:02 PM »

FYI, I'll be moving over the next few days, and then Thanksgiving, so I won't be able to update for a week or so.

-Frikman-
Level 3

Love, Honor and Waffles

View Profile
« Reply #204 on: November 19, 2010, 07:43:16 AM »

crap. I was expecting an update with new sound files, the "Knytt Gardens" tree and Xoda/Trilby sprite update over the next days =(

They only think of me like an awesome ninja cat.
Widget
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: November 20, 2010, 04:45:52 AM »

Hope the move goes well and isn't too stressful.
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #206 on: January 17, 2011, 04:29:23 PM »

I think it's worth looking back at the best indie games of 2010 (as determined by TIGS), to see what is worth including in Indie Brawl.

Super Meat Boy

This game is super-popular, but I don't think there's much material we can use. Meatboy is charismatic and iconic enough to be a main character, but he doesn't do anything but run and jump. I don't think you could make a move list for him. He will make a great support character, though.

The level design and visual style, while both great, aren't really unique enough to make a good level. And there are no items in the game.  Shrug

VVVVVV

It's being made into a level. Veridian could also be a support character, though it's hard to say what he would do.

Hero Core

Come to think of it, Flip Hero would make a fantastic support character. I already added him to the list.

Minecraft

Minecraft will make a good level, and the creeper will make a great support character.

Super Crate Box

It's a very arcadey game. I don't think there's much content to take. I suppose you could make a support character using one of the weapons, but the weapons are all pretty generic (if very well-designed).

Streemerz

Joe could actually make an interesting support character, with a grappling hook attack.

L'Abbeye des Morts

Don't see much to take from this game. If we made it into a level, people would probably just think of Castlevania.

Amnesia

The feeling of helplessness and the terrifying atmosphere that defined this game would be out of place in Indie Brawl.

Hydorah

Most shmups don't fit well into Indie Brawl, but I think Hydorah could be the exception. There's lots of memorable material there that could be used to make a good level.

Space Funeral

The visual style and atmosphere in Space Funeral really stand out. This could make it a good stage. At the very least, Phillip could make for a good support character.

Desktop Dungeons

Everything is pretty abstract, and there aren't many visuals. Maybe an item or two could be taken from it, but nothing springs to mind.

Norrland

I've never played it, and have no idea what to make of the trailer. Maybe someone else here has a better understanding of the game than I do.  Shrug

Redder

Again, I just don't see much material to draw from. It could make an okay stage, but there are definitely better options.

Limbo

It looks like it would make a fantastic stage, but I'm a PC gamer, so I really can't say.

Revenge of the Titans

This just came out, but the Titans are fairly iconic. They could make okay supports.

Give Up Robot 2

I love this kind of short and intense platformer, but unfortunately, they tend not to have much that could be used in Indie Brawl. Super Meat Boy has the same issue.

Recettear

Recette seems like she could be an interesting support character, though I haven't played the game myself.

suteF

I haven't gotten around to playing this yet (but I really want to!) Looking at the trailer, there might be good material for an item or support character. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Houkaimura

The game might be a big obscure, but the main character would make a good support character. Though it might be difficult to determine which attack he would use.

Flotilla

As a strategy game with the aesthetics of a space-themed shmup. I don't see much we could take from this.

Digital: A Love Story

Text-based, so there's probably nothing we could use.

Others

Octodad is classic. He could be an awesome support character, though I'm not sure what he would do.

Ninja Senki is a short game, but the ninja has enough charisma to be a support character. Ninjas with clothes are probably too generic for Indie Brawl, though.

Joe Danger is fairly notable, but I'm not very familiar with it. I'd imagine Joe could make a unique support character, with his bike.

ink.inc
« Reply #207 on: January 17, 2011, 04:42:16 PM »

Never played Norrland? For shame!

It's basically a Swedish redneck simulator. Drink beer, jack off, fuck large mammals, and piss on insects. Great game. Would make for an...interesting support character.

SuteF would be a fairly interesting stage. There would be no ring outs, naturally, but maybe you'd have to knock your foes into lasers? Or you could use the main character and have him fire a huge laser. But movewise, the character is fairly limited.

« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 05:39:29 PM by John Sandoval » Logged
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: January 17, 2011, 04:56:28 PM »

You missed the obvious in Super Crate Box! a SCB stage, with waves of enemies that arrive to make it harder to maneuver. There could be pits, and warnings when enemies are to arrive. Or maybe they just constantly arrive.
Landshark RAWR
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: January 17, 2011, 06:39:19 PM »

meat boy could run across the stage being chased by a few saws flying after him

capn.lee
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: January 18, 2011, 05:28:26 AM »

I think a meatboy stage would work quite well, a foresty level with fire and buzzsaws at the edges of the stage to replace simply being knocked off the platforms, maybe with a gratuitous spray of blood where they left the stage.
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #211 on: January 18, 2011, 08:00:13 AM »

SuteF would be a fairly interesting stage. There would be no ring outs, naturally, but maybe you'd have to knock your foes into lasers? Or you could use the main character and have him fire a huge laser. But movewise, the character is fairly limited.
Hm. No ring outs would make the stage unplayable.

You missed the obvious in Super Crate Box! a SCB stage, with waves of enemies that arrive to make it harder to maneuver.
Neither the art style nor the level design of SCB really stood out to me. It's the gameplay that sets the game apart. There are many more iconic and memorable locations in indie games.

meat boy could run across the stage being chased by a few saws flying after him
He already has a planned attack. He will run across the stage, leaving a trail of slippery meat juice behind him.

I think a meatboy stage would work quite well, a foresty level with fire and buzzsaws at the edges of the stage to replace simply being knocked off the platforms, maybe with a gratuitous spray of blood where they left the stage.
But this is all very generic stuff. The buzz saws are the only imagery from the forest area that are really iconic, and I don't think that's enough to base a stage on.

MaloEspada
« Reply #212 on: January 28, 2011, 05:15:31 PM »

i guess it's pretty much notable that the game is moving at a slow pace, and i think that's mainly due to graphics.

my question is, is it worth hiring someone to make the graphics? an animator, or something like that. depending on the community's interest, this is pretty much going to turn into vaporware, or just take a very long time to get done.

sorry to come up with such a pessimist post, but i really would like to see this get done asap.
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #213 on: January 28, 2011, 09:19:42 PM »

A lot of the slowness is my fault, at the moment. I'm being kept very busy with school.

The game isn't too far from a 'finished' state, once the AI coding is done. It just won't have too many characters or stages. So it will get released one way or another. The amount of interest really just determines how much content is in the game.

MaloEspada
« Reply #214 on: January 29, 2011, 09:56:00 AM »

maybe the first 'polished' release will heat up the interest to other people, bringing more spriters for new content.

good luck, soulliard
ink.inc
« Reply #215 on: January 30, 2011, 12:30:31 AM »

Soulliard, are you aware of this?

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/IndieBRAWL/194746730542726?v=wall

They're using the Indie Brawl logo...
« Last Edit: January 30, 2011, 12:36:01 AM by John Sandoval » Logged
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #216 on: January 30, 2011, 06:25:46 AM »

That wasn't made by me, or anyone else I know. I don't see any contact info, though, besides the Facebooks wall.

I'll look into it more after the GGJ.

MaloEspada
« Reply #217 on: January 30, 2011, 09:25:35 AM »

also this:
http://twitter.com/IndieBRAWL

they even have a site.
ink.inc
« Reply #218 on: January 30, 2011, 12:04:09 PM »

It says they're running monthly competitions...
ink.inc
« Reply #219 on: January 30, 2011, 10:18:15 PM »

http://www.facebook.com/#!/permalink.php?story_fbid=195891173761615&id=194746730542726

John Sandoval: ... is this page being run by Soulliard? Also, does this have anything to do with the Indie Brawl community Project on TIGSource? It says you're running monthy competitions, so I don't really think so... You do realize that the logo you're using belongs to the Indie Brawl project on TIGSource.

IndieBRAWL: Yes to everything you said except "Soulliard" And yes, this is just a temporary logo. We found it on google, and I didn't see it anywhere else so it's temporary. Our artist is a little busy but will get on it asap. Thanks for the somewhat warning.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2011, 11:12:56 PM by John Sandoval » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic