Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411493 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: graysonsolis

April 29, 2024, 07:47:44 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)Archived ProjectsIndie BrawlIndie Brawler Design Doc
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Print
Author Topic: Indie Brawler Design Doc  (Read 29150 times)
Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: February 19, 2008, 05:46:18 PM »

Interesting posts. Here are my thoughts.

fighter platformer (I mean real platforming, hard to get to areas.) Timing, and very context sensitive.
The biggest problem with this approach is making victory possible for big, slow characters without making it too easy for small, quick characters.

Weapons are character specific, and appear on the field as icons
I think making multiple weapons for each character, each with its own unique attacks, makes things way too complicated. Most of us seem to want a pretty simple game, and learning over 70 movesets is unnecessary. Plus, most of the characters don't use many weapons, and if they do use a weapon, it would probably be better-suited as a basic attack, which the character uses all the time.

Having a few special weapons that function basically the same for each character (such as the laser gun and home run bat in Smash) would probably be a good addition, however.

Another idea I have would be traps, which is the reason for the 8 buttons.
Once again, that seems more complicated than it should be. Traps are a fine idea, but they should activate automatically whenever an enemy gets too close. There's no need for using 8 buttons.

Controls:
Pretty good suggestions. They could probably be simplified slightly, but the basic concept is good.

HUD/Screen Layout:
Good ideas. The idea of separating health and "smash damage" is interesting. If you could work out some way to explain why some attacks damage one more than the other, this could be an easy way to add depth to the game.

Modes of play: There would probably be many modes of play. Below they are listed.

Basic: A two player tug of war.
Lives: A battle of lives with up to four players.
Time Attack: Score the most points you can in x minutes.
Smash Mode: A mode of play that gets rid HP, only using the hit percentage.
Like all these.

Context Mode: Play the game with the arrow keys and the Interact Button. Up to four players on one keyboard.
Victory Mode: Get enough victory points to win. (Like the GBA Digimon fighting games)
Adventure Mode: An adventure mode like SSB Melee.
Story Mode (Tentative Title): A crazy crossover story like Subspace Emmisary.
Platform Mode: A mode comprised of only platforming levels. Co-op play, where the second player plays as defeated bosses.
These modes either seem like they would be a lot of trouble to create for what they're worth. Not that there's anything wrong with these suggestions; I just think it would be better to focus on the other modes first.

Comboing: Combos would not be preset. Instead they would be huge branching systems, where the player must find which combos work for which character/which weapon and you can press the interact button at the end for something like a special/flashy finish. I also like the idea that every character has a weapon level system that would be series specific.
Again, this seems a little more complicated than it needs to be.

Final Notes: Instead of making just one build and only fixing bugs, you should often add characters, and update characters. Because of how long it would take to make a character the roster could start off limited and then expand.
Given the nature of community projects, this is probably the best path to take.

Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: February 19, 2008, 05:54:21 PM »

blood Paint.
While I love the idea, I still don't think it really suits the game; Indie Brawl shouldn't be a gory bloodbath. That said, if you can create this mode without making it excessively violent (such as strapping a bucket of paint to each character's back), it should be really fun. I think it would be best if combined with smash-style mechanics, so the characters would leave trails of paint as they soared through the air.

However, it's probably best if the first mode programmed was either a basic hp-based or smash-style battle. Those would be the easiest points to start from.

skaldicpoet9
Level 10

"The length of my life was fated long ago "

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 20, 2008, 12:31:47 AM »

Something interesting came up in my referral logs today!

The other indie brawl

This just made my head explode.

When was the original thread for this started?

Well, enjoy, and try not to get too addicted!

Can't...stop...playing...damn you.

\\\\\\\"Fearlessness is better than a faint heart for any man who puts his nose out of doors. The date of my death and length of my life were fated long ago.\\\\\\\"
handCraftedRadio
The Ultimate Samurai
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: February 20, 2008, 01:08:20 PM »

Well, enjoy, and try not to get too addicted!

Can't...stop...playing...damn you.

Haha, it's the best thing I've ever made, I know.

DestronPrime
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 20, 2008, 05:30:31 PM »

YO! Thanks for the critique it helps, and I see how a lot of that wouldn't work well for this game. Maybe my own project some day... A lot of that could be added though with all the updates, like Dwarf Fortress.
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: February 21, 2008, 02:12:22 PM »

In retrospect, some of my comments probably seemed a little more negative than they were intended. Many of your suggestions were actually quite good; I'm just not sure if they all fit this particular game. They would probably fit a different, hardcore fighting game like a glove, however.

DestronPrime
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 23, 2008, 08:34:16 AM »

Yeah, that's really what I was going for; a more hardcore SSB type game.

I think instead of everyone making their own huge design docs we could go with a jam session type thing, starting off with ideas, and then just having whoever wants to do something can try it, and we can see what we like best. Just like a chill sorta social development process. Pretty much contribute how you can and see what everyone would like, akin to a band. Whaddya think?
« Last Edit: February 23, 2008, 08:38:56 AM by DestronPrime » Logged
the_depraved
Level 1

Smile like a donut.

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 26, 2008, 05:37:55 PM »

sounds great. aslong as we don't break up do to creative differences.

up down left right upper cut.
MekanikDestructiwKommando
Level 3

Let's ROCK!

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 27, 2008, 06:10:48 PM »

I call dibs on Blood Paint, I have already made a particle based blood splatter generator.
Shocked
Is this available for free?  Smiley

There have always been interactive experiences that go beyond entertainment.  For example, if mafia games are too fun for you, then you can always join the mafia.
team_q
Level 10

Divide by everything is fine and nothing is wrong.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: February 27, 2008, 11:42:07 PM »

If you notice, in the thread it says that the release date is Febuary 31st....

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
Al King
Level 1

Nobody expects...

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 28, 2008, 12:09:45 AM »

Oh man, that's in three days!

j/k
Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: March 03, 2008, 01:35:04 PM »

It's done guys, the full version. I was going to wait for a special occasion to tell you, but I couldn't wait. I have been secretly working Indie Brawl for months non stop in my basement ever since the idea first came out. Well, enjoy, and try not to get too addicted!

Indie Brawl is here!

you did a svastika on that wall! philonazism!!!  Shocked

<Powergloved_Andy> I once fapped to Dora the Explorer
Wilson Saunders
Level 5

Nobody suspects the hamster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: March 03, 2008, 04:47:05 PM »

Shocked
Is this available for free?  Smiley
Short answer: No.
Long answer:
I have all the source code for it, but it is badly commented. I made it as a fun little weekend programming excercise. If is include it as part of an open source project like Indie Brawler I will clean it up a little. Then it will become available and free.

Play my games at http://monkeydev.com/
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: July 21, 2008, 03:11:01 PM »

Is this project dead? That would be a shame, because it has so much potential.

So much potential, in fact, that if no one else is working on it, I will. Does anyone mind if it's made with Game Maker? Viking Bazooka Bloodbath's engine would work very well for this, with only a few changes.

Indie Brawl must exist!

skaldicpoet9
Level 10

"The length of my life was fated long ago "

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 21, 2008, 05:29:08 PM »

I agree. Hell, if someone got a rough concept game done to entice others to it's inherent potential maybe we could get some people to start adding to it (art, gameplay etc..)

I won't give up on this game and I think that we can make something infinitely better then what has been made before. I would contribute but I am still trying to work on my gamemaker/programming/pixel art skills before I do. I don't want to contribute some shoddy pixel art and a incomplete gameplay engine due to my inexperience. Until then I'll give my input and help as much as I can though Smiley

\\\\\\\"Fearlessness is better than a faint heart for any man who puts his nose out of doors. The date of my death and length of my life were fated long ago.\\\\\\\"
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: July 22, 2008, 10:05:27 AM »

Last night I put together the basic movement engine. I still have to iron out a few details, but once I do, I'll release a playable demo. It will be pretty simple, but it will at least give us something to play around with.

In the meantime, it would be good to know who else is interested in continuing to work on this project. Help with graphics and audio would be especially appreciated, but since this is a community project, any contribution is welcome.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic