Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411487 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58427 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 11:18:41 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSpace Captain McCallery (RELEASED)
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: Space Captain McCallery (RELEASED)  (Read 11668 times)
Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2010, 01:33:43 PM »

I haven't been able to get much programming work done on this recently as my desktop which the game file is on is having issues.  However, I've been working on some plans for the design.

Also, some music:

http://www.mediafire.com/?ztmnmm3ywmo

deustaurus
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2010, 05:48:36 PM »

Very cool, I liked your game Smiley It sounds like your game and mine have similar themes. Great minds think alike!
Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2010, 12:14:59 PM »

Great to see another person making a zelda-like game!   Beer!

I've gotten the file for the game back, so work on the actual game has resumed.  I just made a to-do list of all the things I need to get done for this game.  I think one of my main priorities should be getting the food system into place.  In this game, all the items (not counting keys) will be consumable items of some sort with various effects.  Some will be rare and can only be found in one place, and will have dramatic effects on the player.  Once I get the food system done, I should be able to release a new demo.

Bood_war
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2010, 01:14:28 PM »

I love you.  Shocked

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2010, 12:26:55 PM »

Woo!  Space Captain McCallery is fueled by love!

I've been working on the inventory menu, since I figured I should get that out of the way.  It's actually been going a lot smoother than I had anticipated.  This is my first time doing an inventory menu, and menus in general are something that I've avoided in my games.

I also plan to work more on polish before releasing a demo.  I feel that a lot of my games have, to some extent, been just me dicking around, and it's time to do things seriously now.  No half-assing it this time.  So...I guess that means less dicking and more assing?   Epileptic

siegarettes
Level 0

new week, new persona

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2010, 04:29:58 PM »

interesting ill be keeping an eye on this one. something to tweak though, might be the jump. i wish there was some visual indicator like a shadow to shoe that im jumping. its not a big problem though. ive done the same thing.

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2010, 12:53:33 AM »

something to tweak though, might be the jump. i wish there was some visual indicator like a shadow to shoe that im jumping. its not a big problem though. ive done the same thing.
Yeah, it's on the list of things to polish.

Remember, kids.  Don't do drugs.

undertech
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2010, 04:18:33 PM »

I dunno about that - that screenshot is telling me (and any kids that might be looking) that drugs are the way ahead!

William Sessions would like a word or two with you now.
Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2010, 01:24:27 PM »

Been working on some polish, including new HUD:

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2010, 04:59:29 PM »

I decided to update the first post with a more up-to-date screenshot. Also, for comparison purposes:

Old:

New

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2010, 03:57:34 PM »

New demo!

This demo should be a good indication of what the game will look and play like when it's finished.  Think of this as more of a proper demo rather than an alpha/prototype build like the last one.  The demo now has items, music, sound and other cool stuff.

Download it here:
http://www.mediafire.com/?qzyjjoymznc

As always, feedback is appreciated.

Coffee

deathtotheweird
« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2010, 05:21:11 PM »

Ah nice, I like it. It really does have a zelda feel, yet still feels different enough to still be fresh.

few random annoyances/problems:

I kept getting stuck on some of the scenery and walls, and sometimes the spiders would spawn in a wall or get stuck on them too. They seemed stupid overall, getting stuck in everything and not walking around obstacles.

The area transitions are not clear, I actually wandered around a bit on the first part because I wasn't sure what to do, as if there was a puzzle or something.

The jumping bit made me rage quit, couldn't stand that part. It would be awesome if you did like the 3d zeldas did, auto-jump for you and all you have to do is aim in the right direction. Unless jumping is a serious part of the game's mechanics and level design..
mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2010, 05:29:12 PM »

Jumping is useful for dodging enemies too, so that wouldn't work. Maybe if you could let go of the jump button to end the jump early? This would make some of the jumps a bit easier, and give you more control.

Hallucination spiders move in circles and never stop. Normal spiders move in straight lines and stop regularly.
Personally, the hallucinations didn't affect me at all.
Maybe hallucinations could spawn actual spider objects that just don't collide with the player.
deathtotheweird
« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2010, 07:11:01 PM »

Ah yeah you're right, forgot about the dodging bit. But your suggestion sounds great too, that would alleviate every instance of me over-jumping if I was able to cancel my jump, as it were.
Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: March 16, 2010, 09:27:53 PM »

Thanks for the feedback guys!  I'll work on making the jumping less frustrating.  I also plan on doing more work on the hallucinations, and that should include making the spiders more convincing.

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2010, 07:39:03 PM »

Work continues on the game.  I'm probably about 2/3 to 3/4 of the way through the level design.  After that, it's mostly polish, menus, and an extra or two I have planned.

Bood_war
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2010, 07:43:18 PM »

Good to see that you're making good progress.  Hand Thumbs Up Right

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: March 30, 2010, 10:27:35 PM »

Quick update.  I've still been working on this.  I've been working to improve the hallucination effects.  I've also been working on the last level of the game.  There are still some issues of polish that need to be handled, but the first episode seems to be coming together nicely.

I've been really enjoying working on this game, and as I said earlier, I am planning on making this an episodic series.  A friend of mine has offered to do the art for the next episode, so it will be higher resolution pixel art.  Also, I've got a lot of things planned for future installments of the series.  This first episode has in some ways been an experiment, one which I hope will be successful, but which has brought up many considerations for features and changes to put in future episodes.

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: April 13, 2010, 10:56:38 AM »

Alright, game's getting near the final stages.  Almost all of the level design work is finished.  Content-wise, I just need to finish the final boss battle, and add in cut-scenes and a bit of bonus content for beating the game.  Other than that, I'm working on the start-menu (pretty much completed), the save system (in progress), and various polish and bug-testing. 

Here's the current start screen:

oyog
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: April 13, 2010, 06:34:04 PM »

I don't have anything constructive to say so I'll just let you know how awesome your game is.

Your game is awesome.
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic