Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411421 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58417 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 09:52:34 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignA simple design for a simple game.
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: A simple design for a simple game.  (Read 6556 times)
sharksweetheart
Level 0

View Profile
« on: January 19, 2008, 12:39:16 AM »

« Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 08:32:09 PM by sharksweetheart » Logged
SplinterOfChaos
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2008, 01:28:39 AM »

Well, knowing how complicated you can get away with making your first game requires knowing your experience level of programming and experience level of that specific language...and what tools you plan to use, I guess.

For example:
A person with little programing experience and about the same experience with that language should make a VERY simple game that shouldn't even have enemy AI. It would be a hell of a lot easier if it were one screen too--or at least simple enough that you can make the mechanics work without having multiple screens. Tetris is usually suggested, but I would encourage people to think of something original, but as or less complex than Tetris.

If you've had more experience, you might dig deeper, but I would suggest you make this a one-screen (and non-scrolling) platformer. That way, you can isolate engine making from level making. But even if you do want multiple screens, make every element on one testing screen and don't worry about making the other screens (or a game for that matter) until all the systems work.

So what experience do you have?
What tools will you be using?

sharksweetheart
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2008, 01:38:46 AM »

« Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 08:32:12 PM by sharksweetheart » Logged
deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2008, 02:12:56 AM »

Here's some unsolicited advice for you:

Put your fly vs. spider game away.  No, really.

Do some research on game making tools (or, if you're feeling up to it, programming languages) and pick one that seems like it might do what you will eventually need it for.  Read everything you can on your tool/language (spend money on a real, physical book if one is available), and go through all of the beginner's lessons and tutorials (starting with "Hello, world!").

Once you get a feel for your tool/language of choice, then start making small games.  VERY SMALL games.  Just finish a few stupid games that nobody would ever want to play... but the key is to actually finish them.  Then you can pull out your spider vs. fly game and start planning how you might accomplish making it.

If you begin programming by starting on your dream game you will never finish it.  Even if it takes six months or a year of practice before you make your game, just do it.  Otherwise, you'll be wasting your time.

I'm not only speaking from experience, but this is a story I've heard from other beginning programmers time and again.

tweet tweet @j_younger
sharksweetheart
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2008, 02:23:36 AM »

« Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 08:32:18 PM by sharksweetheart » Logged
deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2008, 07:59:17 AM »

Ah, I see.  I was confused by your saying that you were considering things like RPG Maker and MMF2.  I don't know how I could have possibly thought that meant you were interested in learning how to make your own game.

tweet tweet @j_younger
StephenAnthony
Level 0

BAD LUCK

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2008, 01:30:20 PM »

If you're focusing mainly on art and design, since this is your first game and you know it's not going to be your "dream game", it may actually not be a bad idea to use some sort of maker that requires minimal programming knowledge.

There are also always lots of programmers looking for artists, and I'm sure a fair amount of them will be willing to let you handle story elements.

I'm not saying you should drop the fly/spider idea or anything, but it sounds like you're looking for experience, and that's a good way to get it. That programmer may be willing to stick with you into your next game that may be a little closer to your "dream game" too.

Anyway, that's just a thought. If experience isn't your primary goal, that may not be the best way to go.

Shoot-em-upper
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2008, 01:57:05 PM »

If you begin programming by starting on your dream game you will never finish it.  Even if it takes six months or a year of practice before you make your game, just do it.  Otherwise, you'll be wasting your time.

Tell that to Pixel. :D
Jolli
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2008, 03:39:38 PM »

Smiley

try GM, easy enough  Smiley
« Last Edit: January 19, 2008, 03:41:43 PM by Jollifish » Logged
sharksweetheart
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2008, 04:11:48 PM »

« Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 08:32:22 PM by sharksweetheart » Logged
Zaphos
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2008, 04:20:41 PM »

Tell that to Pixel. :D
Pixel made other stuff before cave story, though ...
deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2008, 06:19:02 PM »

Well I was considering it. Past tense. But I realised art and design is really what I'd rather be doing, programming will always be a last resort kind of thing now. I know I'm all over the place here, sorry again, no need to get cocky.  Huh?

I apologize.  I was feeling a bit snippy last night.

Thank you! Experience is exactly what I'm looking for, and I'd be happy to roll with somebody else's ideas for a while if that's what it takes. Where would I find such gentlemen?

Tell you what... I have experience with MMF2, but I'm moving more towards Construct now that it's becoming more stable.  I'm an artist myself, and have learned these programs in order to make my own games, but generally I don't get any farther than the basic engine and preliminary artwork.  Drawing sprites is laborious.

I've been hesitant to collaborate with people in the past for various reasons, partially because people can be extremely flakey, but mainly because I've been more interested in producing my own stuff rather than submitting to committee decisions.  However, I've been thinking lately though that what I need is someone to keep me motivated.  If that means working on someone else's small project, so be it.

If you'd like to collaborate, then I'm free at the moment.  I can send you some of my engine demos and unfinished work if you'd like to check out what I can do.  PM me if you're interested.

tweet tweet @j_younger
sharksweetheart
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2008, 12:50:25 AM »

« Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 08:32:26 PM by sharksweetheart » Logged
deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2008, 11:37:31 AM »

Keeping true to the name of this forum, "Flygirl" has been pixelated:

Those look pretty sweet.  I dig the facial expression in the puking animation.

The walk cycle might need another frame or two, though.  With just two frames it seems a little stiff.

tweet tweet @j_younger
StephenAnthony
Level 0

BAD LUCK

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2008, 03:05:42 PM »

If you're interested, Sharksweetheart, I could always use help with the game I'm working on... You can check it out by clicking the picture in my signiture.

Your style may not match the game though, or maybe it's just not something you're comfortable with... you'd be doing sidework instead of being able to work with and develop things with your own ideas from scratch. But if it's something you'd like to try, I'd be happy to.

A good place to look, though, is http://www.gamedev.net ... It seems like Tig is a better community, but Gamedev has a lot more "looking for work/help" people. If you post a topic offering yourself as an artist for hire (for free or otherwise), I guarantee you'll at least get a response pretty quickly.

sharksweetheart
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2008, 03:42:38 AM »

« Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 08:32:46 PM by sharksweetheart » Logged
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic