Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411517 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 12:37:58 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)Choosing the correct game engine for me!
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Choosing the correct game engine for me!  (Read 3939 times)
Akari
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 25, 2009, 04:32:50 PM »

Well, this thread is called "Choose the correct game engine for me"... not "I want to get in touch with "real" coding".

Processing, being based on Java, doesn't really feel like something I'd want to make any games with... even if it is an "easy start" to "real" coding. Besides, it doesn't really feel like a game-making tool either.

For the purpose of the thread creator, I'd say Construct would fit his needs quite well, because the initial setup required to get a working platforming engine going is very simple, and expanding on that isn't really all that hard either with some studying.

I doubt Processing would really offer anything over Construct (or even GM) anyway, save for the cross-platform compatibility, but considering it's achieved via the means of Java... yeah, no thanks. If you want to code and make something cross-platform, recommending Flixel would be a better idea.
Tycho Brahe
Level 10

λx.x

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2009, 09:25:44 AM »

Processing offers quite advanced networking capabilities as well, what I really meant was;if you want a tool which will scale very well, allow you to learn more serious programming and also offers graphics facilities you should look at it. Plus, it also allows you to use "serious" graphics libraries like OpenGL. Processing is also much eaiser to start off with, from my perspective at least, than game maker and flixel.

Processing allows for so much more, and is much less complex.
Akari
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2009, 12:49:43 PM »

Processing allows for so much more, and is much less complex.

But does the same apply with Construct and Processing? I'd say no.
Tycho Brahe
Level 10

λx.x

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2009, 09:54:06 AM »

Construct would probably be better for getting started quickly and scaling that to slightly more complete games, however processing also gives VERY easy to understand networking, Internet and serial functions. I'd rather use processing as I'd know that I'd have so much more choice.
Akari
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2009, 11:35:39 AM »

Construct would probably be better for getting started quickly and scaling that to slightly more complete games, however processing also gives VERY easy to understand networking, Internet and serial functions. I'd rather use processing as I'd know that I'd have so much more choice.

But are those really vital necessities for a single-player platformer game? Construct's online capabilities are pretty much highly limited at the moment, but if you want to do something simple like online scoreboard for your game it's easy to do with Construct.

As I said, Processing doesn't really feel like a tool intended primarily for game development, whereas Construct is specifically that. And for game development, Construct offers very much. You can pretty much say that if it's 2D, it's completely doable in Construct. Of course you could say the same about tools like Game Maker or MMF2, but for example doing something like a bullet hell game with thousands of bullets onscreen isn't really that feasible to do with GM's or MMF2's runtime performance, whereas with Construct it is entirely possible. The engine and the tools Construct provides for 2D game development are top-notch.

The only thing you seem to market with Processing is that a) it's easy for a programming language b) it has good internet capabilities. But what else is there to it? Frankly, just these two alone aren't really all that much when it comes to game development. What makes it a good choice for game development over other alternatives?
stolide
Level 0

Quaff, oh quaff this kind nepenthe!

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2009, 02:06:33 PM »

I just tried construct for a bit and love it. I'm a relatively complete noob (I made a text based game in basic a long time ago, and a 5 room platformer in GM a few days ago), and it went much faster for me to get what I wanted done. I haven't looked at doing something like rooms in it yet, but I'm sure it can be done.

Since it is free, you should at least download and try it.

Sites of mine,

(On energetic dualism) http://teneonon.weebly.com/

(Homebrew tabletop rpgs) http://quomodo.weebly.com/
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic