Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411429 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 03:07:03 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsBuild Up! (Build 0)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Build Up! (Build 0)  (Read 2774 times)
Maxim Schoemaker
Level 1

Bloh

View Profile WWW
« on: December 22, 2009, 02:49:59 AM »

Dear Readers,

I have decided to start a new game project called: "Build Up!"
I understand that this sounds a lot like "Level Up!", but it'll be nothing like that... Keep that in mind!

Explaining the idea behind this game is hard, so I will do it this way:

What?
BU will be an RPG. The main idea behind the game is hard to explain, so this'll be a bit weird. Whenever you make a game you go through different fazes of completion, or builds. What I will do in BU is whenever I have created something new in the game I will stop and call it a new build. Now, when you start the game you start at Build 0. By playing in Build 0 you will gain Game Experience. When you have enough GExp, you will level up, or "Build Up!". By going up a build you will get to play in a more completed version of the whole game. GExp can be gained by anything I deem important for you to continue the game. In the beginning this will be really tutorial-like, You will get GExp for picking up stuff (and such). Later in the game it'll be more and more gained by leveling up or advancing through the story.

Why?
Do you not know that feeling when finally Dan Ball created a new feature for Dust?(http://dan-ball.jp/en/javagame/dust/). Or when the newest MOD for any other game is finally released? In BU I will use this awesomeness as a reward for playing and advancing through the game. Every time you do something good you gain GExp, every time you "Build Up" the game rewards you with new features, graphics, maps, anything!
This way of making a game will also give me the ability to get a LOT of input from you guys! Every time I've finished a new build I will upload it and you get to play it and tell me what you want to see in the next build. Is there something you always wanted to see in an RPG? This is THE opportunity to get it.
In this way I will also have room for experimenting. I can try new features, see if you like and if you don't, I'll remove 'em in the next build.
In a way I will also use this game to create a bit of "respect" for game creators. By showing the different layers of a game and showing how immense it can be, I hope to make people feel more grateful towards playing a game, in stead of the usual unkind approach some people tend to have towards games. I feel that games are not seen as a luxury, a treat, anymore, but as a time killer which you can rudely tell why you don't like it.
In this way BU will probably be a bit satirical too, mainly towards those that do not read. You can say: "A game should be clear and you shouldn't have to read, cause the game should be clear in itself" I say: "If people would actually read what a game gives them to read they might get a LOT more out of the game then they would otherwise".
BTW, with respectlessness I do not mean YOU (Awesome Indie) people, I mean the people that comment on games and say it's worth 1/5 cause it hasn't got a mute button (even though in fact it has, but they haven't read they should press "M" to use it)

How?
This one's simple. I will make this game in flash and for every new build I will just go to the next keyframe and upgrade the code from the previous keyframe in there. =D
The sound effects will (mostly) all be made with DrPetters SFXR (http://www.drpetter.se/project_sfxr.html)
Graphics will probably be made by me... (like that's a smart idea?)

Rules
1. I am not allowed to change ANYTHING.
2. Rule 1 can be overridden when there is need of (heavy) glitches, (extreme) unbalancedness and spelling mistakes (which I'll make a lot xD)
3. The game should stay an RPG and not evolve into some weird puzzle platformer thingy, why is this a rule? I do not know, do you?

List of "Build" Features
Build 0:
-Possibility of information conveying through text (done)
   -Appearing text (typewriter style) (done)
-Possibility of making choices (done)
   -Arrow keys to choose, Z to select (done)
-"Build Up!" Graphics (done)
-A font (done)
-Sound Effects (done)

Build 1:
-Standard Engine
   -Tile system
   -Movement
   -Simple Collision
   -Text box (for instructions)
   -Collectables
   -Doors
-A room:
   -Walls
   -Locked Door
   -A Key
-A Hero:
   -Hero graphics(?)
   -Walking Animations(?)

Build 2:
- Simple NPC:
   -NPC collision with Hero(?)
   -NPC conversation possibilities
   -NPC Graphics -> Japanese wise man (Mr Konami)
- A new room, with possibilities of entering -> Room changing

Hooray! Build 0 is finished:
http://sir-realism.com/buildup.php
I know it's not that much and I'm sorry for that...

Random Thoughts
-An experience's magnitude (both positive and negative) is only relative to what it is compared with. Therefore, for a game to be found 'superb', it does not have to be really 'superb' as long as people expect it to be 'bad' and experience it as 'good'.
-Is the existence of an idea good enough to try it out? No, common sense does pre-selections.

Suggestions, comments, cats or anyting else are highly appreciated! =^,^=

Cheers,

Igor
« Last Edit: December 24, 2009, 07:25:51 AM by Igorness » Logged

Titch
Level 3

Cautiously Pragmatic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2009, 03:07:44 AM »

This sounds pretty cool. A bit more like Upgrade Complete only using more traditional RPG mechanics than shop ones, and hopefully with more depth as to how the 'builds' effect gameplay.

On thing I -really- like about this idea is it's potential for growth. The way the game works theres a ton of scope to just keep introducing new 'build' levels (admittedly you would end up with a complex mess, but I think that's for the player to discover by getting to carried away with adding features).

mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2009, 02:01:03 PM »

This sounds pretty cool. Although it is quite different from Level up!, I would still put it the same category of achievement unlocked, upgrade complete, etc. One of the reasons I spend a lot of time in the devlogs forum is because I like watching games as they are being made, and this game represents pretty much that.
Maxim Schoemaker
Level 1

Bloh

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2009, 03:15:49 AM »

Hooray! Build 0 is done! =^,^=

http://sir-realism.com/buildup.php

And that'll probably be the last 'hooray' it'll get, cause it's disappointingly short...
Sorry for that...

Still, tell me what you think!
Do you not understand something? I'd love to explain! ^^

Triplefox
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2009, 07:44:16 AM »

It's very philosophical. More please Hand Any Key Smiley

Rumrusher
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2009, 07:29:14 AM »

does this game going to end up with a dark twist that would lead to a darker moody pre/sequel so fast it would cause a whiplash?
Maxim Schoemaker
Level 1

Bloh

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2009, 07:56:16 AM »

does this game going to end up with a dark twist that would lead to a darker moody pre/sequel so fast it would cause a whiplash?

I suppose that with the current stance of the moon, one might suffer from various momentumous diseases, yes...

(or were you in fact serious? xD)

Titch
Level 3

Cautiously Pragmatic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2009, 05:50:02 PM »

Man, Rum, he already said it's not like that OTHER game with "up" in the title :p

Rumrusher
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2009, 11:59:00 PM »

so no level up jokes ingame then oh well? a list of non game crashing glitches that would tally the bugs that was left in the game would work.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2009, 12:07:33 AM by Rumrusher » Logged
Maxim Schoemaker
Level 1

Bloh

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2009, 09:13:33 AM »

Oooooh... I'm really sorry! I was going to finish Build 1 today, cause tomorrow I will be going to France (for a week). But then I got this awesome idea for a text editor for blind people and I had to see what I could make of it.

That's why you'll have to wait for more then a week for the next build...Sorry

Ps.
If you're interested in the editor (SoundPad) you can download it here:
http://sir-realism.com/Sound Pad.rar
Instructions in the ReadMe.

Alomard
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2009, 06:25:15 PM »

the concept reminds me of Genetos. sounds great, ill definitely keep track of this
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic