Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411504 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 04:11:23 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)Programming Language Resources
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]
Print
Author Topic: Programming Language Resources  (Read 161676 times)
Pill
« Reply #100 on: October 17, 2014, 01:19:46 PM »

What is the best way to start off learning and practicing C#? at a palatable pace
Layl
Level 3

professional jerkface

View Profile WWW
« Reply #101 on: October 19, 2014, 04:37:15 AM »

What is the best way to start off learning and practicing C#? at a palatable pace

Probably by following the MSDN tutorials.
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa288436%28v=vs.71%29.aspx

Or you could directly dive into Unity and learn by doing.
Pill
« Reply #102 on: October 28, 2014, 10:29:09 AM »

Probably by following the MSDN tutorials.
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa288436%28v=vs.71%29.aspx

Or you could directly dive into Unity and learn by doing.
Thank you :D
how long did it take before you were comfortable with programming?
Layl
Level 3

professional jerkface

View Profile WWW
« Reply #103 on: October 28, 2014, 02:17:12 PM »

I've been programming for 10 years now, I'm not quite sure at what point I got really comfortable with it.
Pill
« Reply #104 on: October 29, 2014, 03:51:23 AM »

I've been programming for 10 years now, I'm not quite sure at what point I got really comfortable with it.
How long after you started programming were you able to program your first game?
Layl
Level 3

professional jerkface

View Profile WWW
« Reply #105 on: October 30, 2014, 05:53:08 PM »

How long after you started programming were you able to program your first game?

I haven't finished a game yet, I started with small console programs and later did web development and business applications. I've only started working on games about two years ago. Keep in mind that 10 years ago there weren't nearly as many resources and tools for developing games as there are now.
Pill
« Reply #106 on: November 01, 2014, 04:15:39 AM »

I haven't finished a game yet, I started with small console programs and later did web development and business applications. I've only started working on games about two years ago. Keep in mind that 10 years ago there weren't nearly as many resources and tools for developing games as there are now.
very true thank you for answering my questions and good luck to you  Smiley
YOJOEHOJO
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: May 14, 2015, 05:53:48 PM »

Thanks, this definitely is a help! I have no clue why, but if I think of making a game in Unity or any other "easy" tool that isn't straight up coding I have caused an affliction to myself. Sidenote: I've been using the hyperlink you have under the notation of "C++ Game Programming", before I joined here, and it's been quite helpful (though a little lackluster, i.e. it should be way longer)!
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 14, 2015, 11:34:31 PM »

Yohio? Is that you??

YOJOEHOJO
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 15, 2015, 11:47:27 AM »

Yohio? Is that you??

I'm sorry, but I am unaware of who you're mistaking me for.

Onto another topic: I would like to apologize for bringing back a, nearly, year-long dead thread, I had only realized the last post was from 2014 after I had made mine.
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: May 16, 2015, 08:31:09 AM »

Yohio!!! ;__;

And hey, nothing wrong with bumping threads that are always relevant (not that a sticky can really ever be considered bumped anyway).

YOJOEHOJO
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 16, 2015, 01:55:05 PM »

Honestly, I thought you were referring to an older Indie dev. that left the scene awhile back or something of the sort. I didn't think you were referring to a musical artist. Thanks, for showing me, in a respect, Yohio.

Yeaaaaaahhhh, but I still feel the need to apologize merely from the fact that I've been on MANY forums and some people get REALLY obnoxious about it even if it may be an accident bump or what have you. However, these two topics have nothing to do with the thread topic and we should probably abstain from derailing.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 08:53:58 AM by YOJOEHOJO » Logged
cvasquez
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #112 on: July 13, 2015, 06:14:30 PM »

Does anyone have good sources for starting with python? To be more specific, teaching yourself python to write tools for a 3d program like maya? Thanks!

Twitter: @3xchris
therevillsgames
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #113 on: October 04, 2015, 03:57:04 PM »

If you didnt know, BlitzMax has recently been released as open source:

http://www.blitzmax.com

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: October 04, 2015, 03:58:00 PM »

blitzmax or blitz3D? Huh?

edit:
OH all of them, plus, 3D and max, good thing

therevillsgames
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #115 on: October 04, 2015, 03:59:46 PM »

blitzmax or blitz3D? Huh?

Both actually Wink

Blitz3D was made Open source last year.

(I was meant to post about this in the Programming Languages and Compilers thread! D'oh! Not awake yet!)

Oats
Level 1

High starch content.

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: December 31, 2015, 07:04:59 AM »

I'm not sure if this is the best thread for this, but I found http://java-performance.com to be helpful learning to optimise java, it's very verbose though and I don't think it's a useful resource if you don't already have an in depth understanding of java, but I found it useful improving hotspots in my code, plus some generally interesting java hax like modifying final values  Shrug.

eh
ZebraInFlames
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: May 25, 2017, 01:54:33 AM »

Anyone aware of any good new(ish) resources for learning efficient practices in Lua? Smiley

As some background, I've recently started prototyping (or more like porting some concepts) in Lua/Löve 2d - previously I've mainly worked with C# (in Unity) in game programming, and Java, Ruby and Python (mostly for small scripts etc.), and I'm interested if there are some peculiarities to the language (mainly related to performance) I should keep in mind. E.g. the Löve documentation on performance and best practices seems quite limited, so I'm interested in any personal insights people here might have Smiley
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic