Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411469 Posts in 69368 Topics- by 58422 Members - Latest Member: daffodil_dev

April 23, 2024, 02:39:11 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)Programming Language Resources
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Print
Author Topic: Programming Language Resources  (Read 161588 times)
skaldicpoet9
Level 10

"The length of my life was fated long ago "

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 26, 2009, 05:49:56 PM »

Awesome, thanks for the link. Page is now updated Smiley

\\\\\\\"Fearlessness is better than a faint heart for any man who puts his nose out of doors. The date of my death and length of my life were fated long ago.\\\\\\\"
kappa
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 17, 2009, 06:42:04 AM »

for Java I'd really recommend the cokeandcode tutorials, really nice stuff at Intermediate level, found at http://www.cokeandcode.com/tutorials
roboprez
Level 1

Got to love them pixels

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: October 04, 2009, 01:47:38 AM »

I think that you should rename the Flash section to Actionscript because that's what the language is called. I'm not really sure if this is what's supposed to be on the list but the AS3 language reference http://livedocs.adobe.com/flash/9.0/ActionScriptLangRefV3/ is the best place for when you have basic knowledge of it. I learned from tutorials on newgrounds but most of those are outdated (or shit)

Kekskiller
« Reply #43 on: April 17, 2010, 11:31:59 PM »

Not sure if this has been mentioned: Understanding C++ Exception Handling

It's a gamedev.net article about the bad and good things of exceptions. I often see people using them heavily without beeing aware of all problems which may happen when using exceptions, so this is a must-know ressource if you ask me.
Micah
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 19, 2010, 03:17:52 PM »

I'd like to point out that Learn You a Haskell shouldn't be on intermediate if A Gentle Introduction to Haskell is on beginner, since it's actually more suitable for beginners.
Joneswilliamsc
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 04, 2010, 12:56:58 AM »

It is a really very good general-purpose language and it is easy to learn as well as being very powerful. The post which you have done here its also very important for all of the students as well as for those who wants to learn the languages. I got so many books from here and also got the most important information from here.

Krux
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 07, 2010, 09:15:00 AM »

I am going to use Scala now. It is as fast as Java. It is compatible with all Java libraries, but it is a cool language. It has all the Featurs that make Languages like Python, Ruby, or Groovy so Strong, but it is Fast. The only disadvandage at the moment is, it is a pain to get Scala to work on IDEs like eclipse Netbeans or IntelliJ.
Gnarf
« Reply #47 on: July 14, 2010, 03:39:37 AM »

It has all the Featurs that make Languages like Python, Ruby, or Groovy so Strong, but it is Fast.

Not really. It has a pretty rad static typing system, while the others are dynamically typed. Because people tend to be used to pretty poor static typing systems, it turns out that a lot of the things they associate with dynamic typing can be done in Scala, all type-safe and with little hassle. But they're still rather different beasts (like, see for example this).

But yeah, Scala is pretty damn cool.

I am going to use Scala now. It is as fast as Java. It is compatible with all Java libraries, but it is a cool language. It has all the Featurs that make Languages like Python, Ruby, or Groovy so Strong, but it is Fast. The only disadvandage at the moment is, it is a pain to get Scala to work on IDEs like eclipse Netbeans or IntelliJ.

I found it pretty straightforward to get the Eclipse plug-in up and running. Just like installing any other plug-in, really, so I'm not sure what kind of pain you're having with it. Haven't tried other IDEs. If you're going for the Eclipse plug-in, though, you should use the latest 2.8 RC of Scala. (I went for 2.7 first, because "stable" sounds like a safe bet, but the Eclipse plug-in for that is a little too rubbish)
commodore
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 18, 2010, 09:46:08 AM »

Why do so many indie developers use/want to learn C++ when they only make small 2d games?
Kekskiller
« Reply #49 on: July 18, 2010, 11:05:56 AM »

Why do so many indie developers use/want to learn C++ when they only make small 2d games?
Cause it's how the cool do, bro.
commodore
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 18, 2010, 09:22:32 PM »

Nothing cool about C++ bro.
Klaim
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: July 23, 2010, 11:26:41 AM »

There can be a lot of reasons to use C++ even for a little game, like :

- training for building games with the language later, as it's used for more performance-required games;
 - training in hope to get a job in the industry;
 - planning for later additions to the game that will require performance;
 - not targeting web pages or requiring installed software for some features (like "modules" or scriping) - that said a lot of language can provide that but most require additional installations like Virtual Machines... ;
 - liking the way of mind of the language (pay only for what you use, very high and low abstraction layers,deterministic resource management);
 - working with other people already knowing the language;
 - using one or several libraries that are not available in other languages (C++ certainly being the language with the biggest pool of libraries, shared with C);
 - planning for cross-platform stand-alone application (some languages allow easier cross-platform but often fail to be executable on every platform you want to target...);
 - why not use a widely used language? lot of help is available out there if you got any problem.

I guess that's enough for today.

(Yes I know, it's still a hard language to learn, but still, there are good reasons it's used for a lot of games)

commodore
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 23, 2010, 11:37:41 AM »

- why not use a widely used language?
Because you could make the same game quicker with more readable and shorter code Tongue
Klaim
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: July 23, 2010, 01:09:34 PM »

That's not an argument against this specific sentence.

The fact that C++ is longer to write have nothing to do with the fact that it's widely used and there is a lot of support for the language.

And whatever the reason you don't like C++, anyone of the reasons I listed is enough to make a language choice for a project - whatever the language.

It would be a non-obvious choice only if there were only bad reasons to choose C++. There are good. There are good to choose Flash too. But we don't all have the same need. Even on a per project choice.

Anyway, whatever your language of choice, don't blame other's choice. People here are not stupid. Even familiarity with language is a good reason in language choice because it helps getting to the point - even if you can write less code in other languages.

By the way, almost all the games I worked on at home required C++ for technical reasons (and other reasons too). At my day job I worked on Flash games. I don't care as fare as it works for the project. Let people make their choice for themselves.

commodore
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 23, 2010, 10:09:29 PM »

Dude what? I didn't force anyone to use anything :S. I'm not anti-C++ either, I agree with your points about training.
Klaim
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: July 24, 2010, 01:11:42 AM »

Oh, yes, sorry, I didn't sleep enough when I wrote that  Gentleman

skaldicpoet9
Level 10

"The length of my life was fated long ago "

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 03, 2010, 02:41:11 PM »

Just updated the front page:

• Changed Flash heading to Actionscript
  • Updated the Java Intermediate Level section with the Coke and Code tutorials
  • Updated the C++ Beginner Level section with the Learn C++ tutorial

If anyone has anymore tutorials recommendations let me know Smiley

\\\\\\\"Fearlessness is better than a faint heart for any man who puts his nose out of doors. The date of my death and length of my life were fated long ago.\\\\\\\"
george
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 03, 2010, 06:04:56 PM »

There's a new wiki for making games with Lisp-family languages:

http://lispgames.ath.cx/
InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 06, 2010, 06:44:55 PM »

EDIT: nm, looks like what I said was already addressed

pixhead
« Reply #59 on: August 23, 2010, 04:40:05 PM »

http://www.cprogramming.com/
It has tutorials for C, C++, and C#(not many). It been really helpful so far and i was pretty surprised nobody said it. It says that is was for beginners but I think you should at least understand the basic concepts of coding and know some C before you start using this.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic