Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411420 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: timothy feriandy

April 18, 2024, 12:02:29 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsBulletDance - bullet hell experiment on the iPhone
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: BulletDance - bullet hell experiment on the iPhone  (Read 2375 times)
biino
« on: December 25, 2009, 06:40:37 AM »

Hey,

I'm new around here Smiley You can find my introduction here http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=45.msg310536#msg310536 if you'd like to know who this newbie is.

I started integrating BulletML http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~cs8k-cyu/bulletml/index_e.html with the bullet physics engine http://www.bulletphysics.com/ on the iPhone. I can't get anywhere near as many bullets on screen as I can on the PC but I think I've got enough to get a game out of it. I may in the future do a PC version.

BulletML is a beast and I think the C++ implementation is a little bit more complicated than it has to be (or rather, I'm a bit dull to understand it properly!) but it's A LOT of fun to develop with and I think it works quite well on the iPhone.

Originally this was just a implementation prototype to learn BulletML for another game I have in mind for the iPhone. But I saw a game growing out of it so I just rolled with it.

BulletDance

There will be no shooting in this game from the player. I'm keeping it simple and distilling it down to bullet dodging.

Game Modes

Standard
========
Survive the round by not getting hit in the time specified.

Time Attack
===========
Reach and touch all bullet shooting antagonists in the quickest time possible.

Survival
========
How long can you go?

Misc info

- I plan to implement leaderboard scoring.
- Controls will most likely be a virtual analogue stick (even though I hate the lack of tactility). In addition the analogue stick will get a partitioned off part of the screen (I hate having fingers get in the way on the iPhone)
- iPhone orientation is still undecided. But at the moment I'm leaning towards portrait.
- Theme\art direction is currently being nutted out. Expect love hearts.

Feel free to ask questions or feedback (although there's probably not much to go on based on this post)

There's a little bit more implementation details in my blog if you're curious.

I'm also developing another game concurrently but I don't have much to show for it right now. When I do I'll be sure to post about it!

Bino

« Last Edit: December 27, 2009, 05:32:55 PM by biino » Logged
knight
Level 3

aka dude4k

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2009, 07:25:55 AM »

Yes! A bullet hell game on iPhone. Please finish this soon I want to play it Beg
biino
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2009, 07:54:55 AM »

Yes! A bullet hell game on iPhone. Please finish this soon I want to play it Beg

I'll certainly try to finish it soon. I plan on finishing it before I have to get a so called "real" job (which will be soonish unfortunately). But even when I do I'll still be doing indie dev at night! Ninja

Are you ok with no shooting and the proposed game modes? I have a bunch of other game modes I'd like to do but they're currently in the "maybe in the first update". I'm pretty strict on blocking feature creep.

Bino
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2009, 04:06:28 PM »

This is just what the iPhone needs. Good luck with the development.  Wink
biino
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2009, 05:31:17 PM »

This is just what the iPhone needs

Yeah I've noticed there's not much in the way of bullet hell style games on the iPhone. It probably comes down to controls and\or popularity. I'll do my best to make it work out.

Good luck with the development.  Wink

Cheers! Smiley

Bino
LazyWaffle
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2009, 12:57:06 AM »

Looks pretty cool, good luck. Smiley
aznmonk
Level 0

There and back again!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2010, 04:42:12 PM »

keep it up! i hope to play it soon! :]
biino
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2010, 01:21:59 AM »

keep it up! i hope to play it soon! :]

Wow thanks, thats lifted my spirits Smiley

I'm working fulltime doing programming now, with the plan to code at night after work on my indie games. It's a hard slog! So just reading that was encouraging Smiley

I'll promise from now on to be less of a girly-man (

) and just get it done Smiley

Bino

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic