Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1301857 Posts in 58013 Topics- by 49084 Members - Latest Member: K

June 25, 2017, 12:50:32 am

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityCompetitionsOld CompetitionsAssemblee: Part 2ITABASHI [finished]
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: ITABASHI [finished]  (Read 11509 times)
0rel
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« on: December 25, 2009, 05:32:31 pm »

final version:

..DOWNLOAD..............

(13.1 MB)
minimum system requirements:

• processor: 1 GHz
  • RAM: 512 MB
  • Video Card: OpenGL 1.4 compatible
  • VRAM: 128 MB
  • Hard Drive Space: 200 MB

[2010-02-17]
dev pack and level editing tutorial
(17.5 MB)
(some experience with Blender 3D required!)

changelog:

[2010-02-22] final 0 posted
[2010-02-16] beta 3: font fixed
[2010-02-14] beta 2: last level fixed, texture fixes
[2010-02-13] beta 1: now with 5 lives / level 2/4 swapped
[2010-02-12] beta 0 released

notes:

sorry for being late, but i had some troubles during the compo and couldn't finish my entry in time. and my internet connection was down for almost the entire last month too. but since i've started this thread, i also wanted to post the latest version here, to bring this to an end somehow...

it's a small 3d platformer, with a jumping tank and very simple levels, with floating, grassy platforms. it takes quite long to load at first run and the levels are probably a bit boring to play. - i really have to learn more about level design next...

it was mainly thought as an engine test, to learn more about 3d coding and all again. it was interesting and fun to make, and it wouldn't be too hard to add new levels, later on.

i just hope it works, technically.

also, big thanks for all the nice assets, esp. the 3d models! they gave me some new ideas about building complex scenes out of just a few, hand-made elements...
Coffee

screenshots:

ASSETS:

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
// VISUAL

// 3d environment and player model
+Peter

// 3d animations and objects
ChrisFranklin

// 3d objects
ETG

// font
agj

// sprites
HanClinto
lulzapricot
nunix

// textures
yokomeshi

// AUDIO

// music
atuun
kfh
NotWorthy
pgil

// sound
atuun
cheapshot
Craig Stern
feeblethemighty
John Nesky
pgil
Synnah

[2009-12-25]
original post...

hello TIGsaurs!

...it's been a while since i've started trying around with all the many assets for this compo. i really couldn't decide for anything first... after a failed try to make a top-down 2d space shmup, and some unclear ideas about mashing things up in messy small mini-games, i finally couldn't resist to try out +Peter's wonderful 3d assets... i'm totally liking them! but since there aren't too many other 3d artists around, i've completely ignored them first... yesterday though, after little search in the assets folder, i've discovered ChrisFranklin's 3d models too, and his nice 3d animation of a skeleton... - so, maybe this could be already all it needs to make a small 3d game... - here we go! - don't know where this will be going exactly, but i'm hoping to get something done before deadline... japanese temples, rice fields, giant skeletons, chiptune music... nothing's really clear yet, also the gameplay. it will be 3d though, so the options for choosing assets aren't that many anymore, which surely isn't a bad thing, since i'm generally bad at deciding things Smiley

but here, a small engine test first:

download: engine.test1.zip

it would be great if some of you could try this quickly... not sure if it works everywhere. and also, i'm not sure how large a level can get (static geometry / enemies) until it gets unplayable at places... (todo: larger stresstest)

with disabled VSync, my laptop (with mediocre 3d ATI card) is able to run it at around 100 FPS (the MSVC compiled version is always a bit faster).

there are lots of hidden triangles, due to the tiled nature of the environment (my 3d framework is "dumb", and just simply draws everything all the time...). but probably that shouldn't be much of problem for most of today's computers, i think.

the physics collisions are quite inaccurate (i've made invisible collision meshes around every ground tile, and all static objects in the scene...), but it should never behave completely wrong (like when "tunneling" through the ground).

there also should be background music, and basic 3d sound going on (so far, only little noises, audible when the enemy attacks...)

crashes would be the worst thing that could happen...
my other 3d game didn't work at all on some machines, when compiled with Microsoft's Visual Studio Express 9 (MSVC versions in the zip). in that case it might help to install this c++ redist installer package first.
the MinGW ones should hopefully work mostly everywhere though (only tested on Windows XP).

required:
mediocre CPU.
basic OpenGL capabilities.
basic audio hardware.
windows...

it would be interesting for me to know if it works, and if it does, how good/fast in windowed and full screen mode.

also, any suggestions would be welcome and probably help, since my knowledge about 3d tech only covers the very basics... i'm still eager to learn more about all this!

CREDITS

// graphics:
+Peter: environmental 3d models
ChrisFranklin: 3d animation (skeleton) / models
meadowsweet: background
nunix: smoke sprite (inverted)
HanClinto: sprite

// audio:
Atuun: music / sound
JohnNesky: sound

// font:
Zaratustra: pixel font

« Last Edit: February 21, 2010, 04:28:16 pm by 0rel » Logged
SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2009, 06:16:22 pm »

Game_mingw.exe runs perfectly on my PC, maintaining 60 FPS at all times. The music and the sound effects operate properly as far as I can tell.

I did not have any trouble with the controls or the keys. Initially, I moved around testing the slopes and the field in front of me, until the skeleton attacked me and batted me away. I did twice move left to avoid the skeleton, only to fall off the edge of the stage when the house on the front and left blocked my view. A third time I compensated for the hidden pit, moved behind the skeleton, and he opted to ignore me. I reached the pagoda, pushed up against it for a bit, and closed the program, assuming there was not more to see or do.

-SirNiko
J. R. Hill
Level 10

The perfect farmer's tan.

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2009, 07:07:39 pm »

Well I can move around without any problems...

...except for that skeleton.
Hand Shake LeftApoplectic

hi
0rel
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2009, 07:28:33 pm »

thanks for testing it so promptly! i'm glad to hear that everything went right so far...

at the moment, there's not too much to see, or play with yet...
hehe, and that skeleton has a way too large "damage hull", could be a little confusing... probably i should replace the collision shape with a capsule to match the animation a little better, plus add kind of a "detector" to to track its hand for the hit attacks... it's inaccurate at the moment, we know. it also takes way to long to load. i hope to find a way to overcome this soon.

side question: does anybody know somebody else who did 3d animations in part 1? that would be really nice...
otherwise i'm maybe going to try out procedural animations out of static objects for other types of enemies, like snakes or something similar. hmm, or maybe i'm just letting it be with skeletons! skeletons in a japanese rice garden... Tears of Joy

/more tomorrow Smiley
J. R. Hill
Level 10

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2009, 07:37:48 pm »

side question: does anybody know somebody else who did 3d animations in part 1
Wizard 3D, Good Pencerkoff Hunting, Bitworld and First Person Dungeon Exploration are doing3D with 2D sprites, and Crazy Train is doing rendered 3D stuff.

There's probably more.

hi
0rel
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2009, 08:08:42 pm »

ye, i just meant 3d animation assets to use them in my game... Wink i'm glad there are others doing 3d games too though, probably there would be even more if there would have been more 3d assets produced in part 1. too bad...
ETG
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2009, 08:33:28 pm »

I did some 3D things, but I don't know how to do animations yet, so I made sure nothing I made needed any.

Laptop with 3.4GHz P4, 2Gig ram, ATI Mobility Radeon x600.
mingw version crashes, msvc works. I'm getting a solid 80fps without vsync. No issues except maybe being able to hop up the side of the pagoda.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2009, 08:59:01 pm by ETG » Logged
J. R. Hill
Level 10

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2009, 09:11:46 pm »

Guys with 3D assets I didn't see in your game...
http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=8876.0
http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=8773.0
http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=8881.0

hi
0rel
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2009, 11:08:51 pm »

cool, thanks for pointing out these other resource, i'm going to check them out further tomorrow, and look what could fit in (graphically and gameplay-wise)... some items, like the bombs, could be fun maybe...  Roll Eyes no sure yet.

Quote from: ETG
mingw version crashes, msvc works. I'm getting a solid 80fps without vsync.
huh, the mingw version crashes?! thanks for letting me know...  Coffee

engine.test0_debug0.zip

i've packed up both debug builds, which should log some info messages about the loading process (just run the *.bat files after unzipping, takes rather long to load, and the dos box keeps black... the logs are writing to a text file...). that could help to find out where it exactly crashes, unless it breaks right after start...

(the error could also depend on the order in which you run the EXEs after extracting the zip... once the game loaded the first time, there are some cache files stored in the data folder which could cause the trouble maybe...)

oh, and i've found something in the code i've overseen before (concerning animation loading, the special case of animation with just 1 frame...). fixed it temporarily, and some other things... it might already work now.

Shrug
Sos
Level 8

I make bad games

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2009, 03:04:02 pm »

It works fine for me, about 7-10 fps.

there are lots of hidden triangles, due to the tiled nature of the environment (my 3d framework is "dumb", and just simply draws everything all the time...). but probably that shouldn't be much of problem for most of today's computers, i think.

probably helpful advice:
- Use vertex arrays
- draw only GL_FRONT
- use double instead of floats, to get rid of seams between tiles
- try to minimize  the collision check process.

I'm really lookijng forward to play it, but it's just hard at fps this low
(Eeepc 1000h, 1.6 Atom, GMA 950, 1G DDR2)

EDIT:
i noticed that your screenshot doesn't show seams, so here goes mine:
« Last Edit: December 26, 2009, 03:10:27 pm by Sos » Logged

0rel
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2009, 01:14:07 am »

sorry, it took longer than expected. but thanks for the detailed feedback... Beer!

ETG's issue has been fixed (over PM). luckily, that wasn't that difficult to fix... just a small bug.

but now to the trickier part... the speed.

Quote from: Sos
It works fine for me, about 7-10 fps.
at least it did not crash Smiley...

- Use vertex arrays
- draw only GL_FRONT
...it was already doing this before.

- use double instead of floats, to get rid of seams between tiles
hm, i've spotted these seams as well, just sometimes they flicker a little here (depending on the viewing angle). it's probably a z-depth-fighting thing... 2 edges/faces exactly at same place, so that shading doesn't work anymore properly. i've tried to fix it by scaling all 3d-tiles a little bit up, in the first two test maps. maybe that will already do it.
edit: nonsense! the seams get more bigger that way. more overlap...

- try to minimize  the collision check process.
yea, the physics surely do not like all the small tiles as well... but with just a couple of moving entities that's not so important, i thought. but i've still tried to improve this part a bit:

* manually joined all collision meshes in blender, and made one single world collision mesh out of them.
* all static collision meshes are now saved after the first run in special binary format... (i'm using the bullet physics library). that should make the loading faster in the second run.
* the whole level is now stored in a single OpenGL display list / one single vertex array, instead of one display list for every tile.

although everything is a little faster now at runtime, it takes longer to load. sometimes, much too long. hm.

---

test map 1: small size, combined collision mesh, tile seam fix (only on flat ground scale) -> ~160 FPS here
test map 2: mid size -> ~150 FPS here
test map 3: same as map 2, but with combined collision mesh -> ~150 FPS here -> ~160 FPS here
test map 4: big size -> ~80 FPS here
test map 5: same as map 4 + combined collision mesh. -> ~100 FPS here --> takes ages to load!

-> cheat: press INSERT to jump to next level...
-> the first time a level loads takes always longer (separately for both versions, msvc/mingw)

download: engine.test2.zip

I'm really lookijng forward to play it, but it's just hard at fps this low
i hope we'll get it working... don't expect too much, it's just the engine test!  so far.

(Eeepc 1000h, 1.6 Atom, GMA 950, 1G DDR2)
do you normally play 3d games on that laptop? possibly, it could be so slow, because it's simply too much data to store everything in the graphics ram. maybe the integrated graphics card hasn't enough fast memory for that purpose (my framework makes use of obsolete display lists wherever possible... could be too much, i guess...)
« Last Edit: December 27, 2009, 11:43:20 am by 0rel » Logged
Sos
Level 8

I make bad games

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2009, 04:27:21 am »

do you normally play 3d games on that laptop?
Well, I played through games like  Halo, Serious Sam 2, Spore with no disturbing slowness. GMA 950 is not a bad chip after all. But it's not a high-end hardware tho.

0rel
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2009, 09:35:30 am »

Quote from: Sos
I played through games like  Halo, Serious Sam 2, Spore with no disturbing slowness.
oh really? hmm, so then there's definitely something weird going on in my game code...
like i said, my knowledge about 3d tech is quite limited... but, since i'm using only very basic hardware functions (no shaders or advanced extensions and such), it should basically work on most hardware. hard to tell for me though, what's the problem here...

but you have also some experience with OpenGL too, it seems... do you think it's more a problem with the face-count/fillrate or something odd, like a bug/wrong technique? hard to tell for me.

would you mind to try out the new build as well? maybe it already plays a bit better...
(at least it should in the first mini-level).

0rel
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2010, 01:30:57 pm »

bump  Hand Joystick
ETG
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2010, 09:48:09 pm »

This is so awesome.

Maybe consider more lives, or not limiting lives at all.
0rel
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2010, 07:30:18 am »

ETG,
hey thanks for trying it out! Grin

Maybe consider more lives, or not limiting lives at all.
you have a point there. - i agree, cause there's really not too much replay value or fun challenge currently, which would justify it to start all over again after a "game over"...

but did you have some difficulties with a particular level or some elements? like the shooting maybe, which is a bit clunky and imprecise like it is... i don't get it anymore, after all the testing.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2010, 02:02:37 pm by 0rel » Logged
ETG
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2010, 10:14:51 am »

The first time I played it I got a game over in the second level. The second time I got to the third level, but I died early on and didn't feel like starting all over, so I quit playing. This morning I tried again and got to the fourth level before getting a game over. I then replayed it and got all the way through.

The aiming was a bit awkward, but forgivable enough to make due. Mostly I missed jumps or got hit by those spike balls (those traitors!)
0rel
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2010, 02:02:22 pm »

oh, that's good to know. thanks for the feedback... after playing it many times now, i've completely lost my sense of difficulty... probably, that's also the reason why so many games out there end up just too hard and complicated maybe...

but i think i let it stand with a limited number of lives, because it really encourages replay, like you've described it (often, i also have some small games on my desktop, to go back to, and try again during a break or so...) and it doesn't make you lose the sense of danger while playing... too bad there's no good ending, as a reward. some kind of cut-scene animation, with an camera flight would have been nice... but it's all so much work, and the compo is already over, so...

quick fixed:
you'll get 5 lives now, and i've swapped level 2 and 4. that's probably easier this way.
+peter
Level 0

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2010, 09:58:26 pm »

Orel, that was great fun! I did see this project back when you started. Thanks for letting me know that completed it! That really made my weekend.
Was that 3D engine your own, custom engine? It ran and looked really nice on my computer.

blog traylorpark.com tweet @peterspalace
0rel
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2010, 09:21:30 am »

Peter, that's great to hear! i'm glad you was able to play it on your compi...

Was that 3D engine your own, custom engine? It ran and looked really nice on my computer.

it's my own engine, yes... more some sort of a framework based on OpenGL/BulletPhysics/OpenAL, not really a game engine with a totally strict architecture or grand design principles behind it. just a set of classes, for different tasks. Wink - happy it seems to work now. it's almost the same basecode as i used for okkuplektor, so i slowly begin to trust this code base, at least for Windows... but i have to test it on Vista or Windows 7 next.

by the way, if somebody wants to make levels, i also could post some of the blender files, and a short description about how to export and test them... just in case...

also, download zip updated...
minor changes: texture bugs fixed, and the last level is now a bit bigger.
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic