Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 01:18:09 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsAssemblee: Part 2ITABASHI
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: ITABASHI  (Read 17917 times)
or
Level 0

View Profile
« on: December 25, 2009, 05:32:31 PM »

-
« Last Edit: September 10, 2023, 06:58:15 PM by orl » Logged
SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2009, 06:16:22 PM »

Game_mingw.exe runs perfectly on my PC, maintaining 60 FPS at all times. The music and the sound effects operate properly as far as I can tell.

I did not have any trouble with the controls or the keys. Initially, I moved around testing the slopes and the field in front of me, until the skeleton attacked me and batted me away. I did twice move left to avoid the skeleton, only to fall off the edge of the stage when the house on the front and left blocked my view. A third time I compensated for the hidden pit, moved behind the skeleton, and he opted to ignore me. I reached the pagoda, pushed up against it for a bit, and closed the program, assuming there was not more to see or do.

-SirNiko
J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2009, 07:07:39 PM »

Well I can move around without any problems...

...except for that skeleton.
Hand Shake LeftApoplectic

hi
J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2009, 07:37:48 PM »

side question: does anybody know somebody else who did 3d animations in part 1
Wizard 3D, Good Pencerkoff Hunting, Bitworld and First Person Dungeon Exploration are doing3D with 2D sprites, and Crazy Train is doing rendered 3D stuff.

There's probably more.

hi
ETG
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2009, 08:33:28 PM »

I did some 3D things, but I don't know how to do animations yet, so I made sure nothing I made needed any.

Laptop with 3.4GHz P4, 2Gig ram, ATI Mobility Radeon x600.
mingw version crashes, msvc works. I'm getting a solid 80fps without vsync. No issues except maybe being able to hop up the side of the pagoda.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2009, 08:59:01 PM by ETG » Logged
J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2009, 09:11:46 PM »

Guys with 3D assets I didn't see in your game...
http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=8876.0
http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=8773.0
http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=8881.0

hi
Sos
Level 8

I make bad games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2009, 03:04:02 PM »

It works fine for me, about 7-10 fps.

there are lots of hidden triangles, due to the tiled nature of the environment (my 3d framework is "dumb", and just simply draws everything all the time...). but probably that shouldn't be much of problem for most of today's computers, i think.

probably helpful advice:
- Use vertex arrays
- draw only GL_FRONT
- use double instead of floats, to get rid of seams between tiles
- try to minimize  the collision check process.

I'm really lookijng forward to play it, but it's just hard at fps this low
(Eeepc 1000h, 1.6 Atom, GMA 950, 1G DDR2)

EDIT:
i noticed that your screenshot doesn't show seams, so here goes mine:
« Last Edit: December 26, 2009, 03:10:27 PM by Sos » Logged

Sos
Level 8

I make bad games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2009, 04:27:21 AM »

do you normally play 3d games on that laptop?
Well, I played through games like  Halo, Serious Sam 2, Spore with no disturbing slowness. GMA 950 is not a bad chip after all. But it's not a high-end hardware tho.

ETG
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2010, 09:48:09 PM »

This is so awesome.

Maybe consider more lives, or not limiting lives at all.
ETG
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2010, 10:14:51 AM »

The first time I played it I got a game over in the second level. The second time I got to the third level, but I died early on and didn't feel like starting all over, so I quit playing. This morning I tried again and got to the fourth level before getting a game over. I then replayed it and got all the way through.

The aiming was a bit awkward, but forgivable enough to make due. Mostly I missed jumps or got hit by those spike balls (those traitors!)
+peter
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2010, 09:58:26 PM »

Orel, that was great fun! I did see this project back when you started. Thanks for letting me know that completed it! That really made my weekend.
Was that 3D engine your own, custom engine? It ran and looked really nice on my computer.

blog traylorpark.com tweet @peterspalace
increpare
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2010, 09:35:26 AM »

Tried it out there - it felt a little clunky/fidgety/hard to my fingers.  Played through two-and-a-bit levels.
increpare
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2010, 11:45:42 AM »

I think strange things happen to the camera as well, possibly just because whenever I overshot a platform I would try to reverse at the same time as flipping my camera around...never really ended well : P

i assume, it probably wouldn't be the type of thing you'd like to play, even when it would be perfect
Don't be so sure : )
agj
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2010, 11:29:25 PM »

It's pretty alright. It's a bit too buttery, I just constantly felt like screaming at the game for letting me die. The mix of WASD + mouse aim works weird with an avatar that can't strafe, and I think that this was a good part of my inability to grok the controls. Also the walls getting in the way, and the abusive platform-to-void ratio, didn't help relax the frustration factor. I managed to get to the third level, and I found there some pretty neat level design elements that reminded me of the Donkey Kong Country series, but I died and didn't have the strength to go through the second level again (the platforms kept blocking my view). At any rate, it was still a bit of a masochistic fun.

I like the weird effect you have there in the title screen, heh.

+peter
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2010, 03:14:14 AM »

Peter, that's great to hear! i'm glad you was able to play it on your compi...

Was that 3D engine your own, custom engine? It ran and looked really nice on my computer.

it's my own engine, yes... more some sort of a framework based on OpenGL/BulletPhysics/OpenAL, not really a game engine with a totally strict architecture or grand design principles behind it. just a set of classes, for different tasks. Wink - happy it seems to work now. it's almost the same basecode as i used for okkuplektor, so i slowly begin to trust this code base, at least for Windows... but i have to test it on Vista or Windows 7 next.

by the way, if somebody wants to make levels, i also could post some of the blender files, and a short description about how to export and test them... just in case...

As an artist, your engine is sure gamey enough for me ... at least it all works! Hell, it ran almost perfectly in Wine for OSX!  Beer!
I'd be interested in seeing how you made the levels ... doubt I'll make something ... well, I might ... but sure! I'd take a look.

My only complaint is that I wish the mouse didn't steer, only looked. But I got used to it  Roll Eyes

cheapshot
Level 0

Welcome to your DOOM!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2010, 12:19:38 AM »

wow, this is really well made. Thanks for including some of the sound effects I made!

+peter
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2010, 12:35:04 AM »

I certainly took a look - unfortunately, I wont have the time to do anything at the moment. Great work though ... there's a lot of cool potential for this. I hope someone else takes a look and makes some stuff for it.

+peter
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2010, 06:13:24 AM »

Hey, thanks very much sir! I should probably that low poly page someday.

For what it's worth, I also through up a post about your work on my blog. That'll hopefully redirect my 3 readers to see your work  Tongue

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic