Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1319348 Posts in 59276 Topics- by 50372 Members - Latest Member: turalgul

October 23, 2017, 02:17:09 pm

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsAssemblee: Part 2ITABASHI [finished]
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: ITABASHI [finished]  (Read 11737 times)
increpare
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2010, 09:35:26 am »

Tried it out there - it felt a little clunky/fidgety/hard to my fingers.  Played through two-and-a-bit levels.
0rel
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2010, 11:39:01 am »

increpare,
sure, it's far off from being perfect. but i assume, it probably wouldn't be the type of thing you'd like to play, even when it would be perfect... Smiley - super candy jump worlds à la Super Mario 64 was the initial idea, i just wanted to test out a bit... still glad it seems to work technically. thanks for testing.

@clunky steering: it's a bit unusual (it came out like this pretty much by hazard): you'll have to use the mouse and the keyboard (WASD or arrows) together, to move around... then it should be quite easy to steer smoothly. but there are still lots of visible glitches sometimes (for example, when the tank stands still, or moves on bumpy ground/objects... and the collision hulls of the rocks are very rough, too rough to look stony...). not perfect at all...
increpare
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2010, 11:45:42 am »

I think strange things happen to the camera as well, possibly just because whenever I overshot a platform I would try to reverse at the same time as flipping my camera around...never really ended well : P

i assume, it probably wouldn't be the type of thing you'd like to play, even when it would be perfect
Don't be so sure : )
agj
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2010, 11:29:25 pm »

It's pretty alright. It's a bit too buttery, I just constantly felt like screaming at the game for letting me die. The mix of WASD + mouse aim works weird with an avatar that can't strafe, and I think that this was a good part of my inability to grok the controls. Also the walls getting in the way, and the abusive platform-to-void ratio, didn't help relax the frustration factor. I managed to get to the third level, and I found there some pretty neat level design elements that reminded me of the Donkey Kong Country series, but I died and didn't have the strength to go through the second level again (the platforms kept blocking my view). At any rate, it was still a bit of a masochistic fun.

I like the weird effect you have there in the title screen, heh.

+peter
Level 0

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2010, 03:14:14 am »

Peter, that's great to hear! i'm glad you was able to play it on your compi...

Was that 3D engine your own, custom engine? It ran and looked really nice on my computer.

it's my own engine, yes... more some sort of a framework based on OpenGL/BulletPhysics/OpenAL, not really a game engine with a totally strict architecture or grand design principles behind it. just a set of classes, for different tasks. Wink - happy it seems to work now. it's almost the same basecode as i used for okkuplektor, so i slowly begin to trust this code base, at least for Windows... but i have to test it on Vista or Windows 7 next.

by the way, if somebody wants to make levels, i also could post some of the blender files, and a short description about how to export and test them... just in case...

As an artist, your engine is sure gamey enough for me ... at least it all works! Hell, it ran almost perfectly in Wine for OSX!  Beer!
I'd be interested in seeing how you made the levels ... doubt I'll make something ... well, I might ... but sure! I'd take a look.

My only complaint is that I wish the mouse didn't steer, only looked. But I got used to it  Roll Eyes

blog traylorpark.com tweet @peterspalace
0rel
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2010, 07:31:15 am »

increpare and agj,

hey, i really appreciate your honest feedbacks! and in fact, i also have similar issues with that game like you've described, in all mentioned areas...

@camera:
the third person camera remains an unsolved problem, esp. when there are multiple layers of platforms (like in the purple/tower levels). only flat levels really worked glitch-lessly... backface culling helps a little, but it looks still messy, when the camera collides with some geometry. the denser the world, the harder it is to avoid those camera problems. maybe, a half automatic camera would have been a solution (similar like in Mario 64), which automatically searches for valid viewing spots (via ray casting/interpolation), still with the possibility to interact with it, when necessary... i thought about that, but it's pretty difficult to implement right for me... anyways, i wouldn't try it again full 3d. third person views seem to work only well with restricted player movement, like in 2.5d.

@WASD + mouse steering: from a design point of view, i think it's not so good, cause two different inputs control the same parameter. but in practice, after some testing, i found out that much nicer jumps are possible that way... you can jump and turn the cam around freely with the mouse, and still let the tank move in another direction. it's also possible to move around, and see it from the side, while driving a curve... with only WASD, the cam always stayed more or less behind it, which was quite uninteresting to look at. but it needs some time to get the hang of it.

(edit: nonsense. WASD -> steer / mouse -> look should basically work the same way, don't remember what the problem exactly was there...)

but possibly you're talking about another camera error, not sure... once, the physics behaved very strangely here, and made the car jump like crazy, by no reason. maybe that happens more often somewhere else? i don't know.

@jump pads:
oh, i do also remember Donkey Kong Country, with those barrel chain reactions... Wink still one of my favorite SNES games from the old days. but the jump pad idea came mainly from Quake 3 Arena, i think, to be honest Smiley

@levels: they are not so interesting right now, that's true... they were mainly created for testing purpose.

@look and feel: although i really like the 3d models overall, i think, the rest of the assets didn't fit so well together with them... the loud background music, and the sparse surrounding makes it feel cheap somehow. still, i did my best to pick out fitting assets from the huge archive from part 1. it wasn't that easy to find the right material... the overall cheesy feel was kind of a failure too. it's not really my thing, i guess, and not really my preferred type of aesthetics for sure... probably, as a one-man-dev, there's really no way around being honest to oneself, cause otherwise one loses just too much will-power throughout the project... and things end up dull and uninspired. there's always that vague feeling of uncertainty about the result, when done just with the attitude of a "product maker"... the candy problem: sweet and yummy maybe, and everybody likes it, but unhealthy, synthetic, cheap, and puke provoking when it's too much. probably a bad comparison... Wink but i've decided to keep away from just doing something the "producer way", from now on, no matter how shiny and tempting it might look at the beginning... the motivation must come from somewhere else. - still nothing against candy jump worlds, when done right...

Quote from: +Peter
at least it all works! Hell, it ran almost perfectly in Wine for OSX!
you really played it on OSX? wow, that's great! ...when it works under Wine, then the basic window handling/OpenGL setup should be okay by now, and i should probably stop begging people about technical detail tests.

I'd be interested in seeing how you made the levels ... doubt I'll make something ... well, I might ... but sure! I'd take a look.

cool! so, i'm packing up a small dev zip then... and post it later.

it would be really cool to add new custom levels to the final version...
but there's no pressure at all, really. probably i would let it stand like it is right now...

but if you and others would make some new level(s), i would be also willing to continue with it of course.

My only complaint is that I wish the mouse didn't steer, only looked.
i see what i can do about this. maybe it's still better with separated controls after all...
« Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 08:07:26 am by 0rel » Logged
0rel
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2010, 05:26:29 pm »

hey, i've added a first dev_pack zip there...

containing a development version of the game, together with all needed files (hopefully) to make levels. and a quite techie tutorial about how to edit level files in Blender.

just in case somebody wants to try it out. currently, there's only one level in zip... (it's quite a bit of work to fix all the texture links). but maybe i'm gonna add the other levels too later.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 06:56:02 pm by 0rel » Logged
0rel
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2010, 07:04:33 am »

dev_pack updated. now, containing all levels from the game...
cheapshot
Level 0

Welcome to your DOOM!

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2010, 12:19:38 am »

wow, this is really well made. Thanks for including some of the sound effects I made!

0rel
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2010, 06:44:30 am »

thank you so much! Cave Story

by the way,
has anyone tried to edit/make a level yet?
otherwise i'll mark it as finished at the end of this week, probably...
+peter
Level 0

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2010, 12:35:04 am »

I certainly took a look - unfortunately, I wont have the time to do anything at the moment. Great work though ... there's a lot of cool potential for this. I hope someone else takes a look and makes some stuff for it.

0rel
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2010, 04:35:30 pm »

cool you've checked it out.

but i also don't have enough fuel at the moment to take it any further right now, or to make new levels myself... i still enjoyed it to try my hand at a 3d platformer for once, and to work with something non-abstract too. Smiley

by the way, i really dig your other lowpoly work i've seen on your site Shocked. very nice!

Quote from: +peter
there's a lot of cool potential for this.
thanks. hopefully the same framework code can be used again somewhere else. so, nothing's lost...

I hope someone else takes a look and makes some stuff for it.
me too, but i'll [finish]ify this thread for now...
+peter
Level 0

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2010, 06:13:24 am »

Hey, thanks very much sir! I should probably that low poly page someday.

For what it's worth, I also through up a post about your work on my blog. That'll hopefully redirect my 3 readers to see your work  Tongue

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic