Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411521 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 04:36:01 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)Making gameplay videos...
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Making gameplay videos...  (Read 2415 times)
FatHat
Level 1

View Profile
« on: December 26, 2009, 02:16:00 PM »

So I've recorded a few gameplay videos of some games I've made, but I'm having trouble figuring out the best way to share it on the world wide interwebs. I've tried uploading it to youtube, but the quality is suck and die. (For reference, the source video was 1280x720 with DivX, and about 3 minutes long)

Does anyone who has done this before have any suggestions on ways to improve the quality? Maybe a different video sharing site? (I'm not picky or looking for internet fame, I just want to embed this in my portfolio and blog without killing my bandwidth)
FatHat
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2009, 03:07:04 PM »

Wait, I might have judged youtube too early... now that it's finished processing it looks decent. Still curious about if any other sites have had better results though? I was thinking Vimeo, but I heard they banned game videos...
Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2009, 03:36:00 PM »

I believe YouTube supports 1080 HD, and I'm not sure you can get better quality than that elsewhere...

Laserbrain Studios
Currently working on Hidden Asset (TIGSource DevLog)
biomechanic
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2009, 04:03:57 PM »

The last bullet in Vimeo upload guidelines says:
Video game developers may post videos of their work provided they cite their involvement in the description of the video (maps and mods to commercial games don't count). Here we are talking about development videos, not commercial trailers.
So I guess you could use it.
FatHat
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2009, 05:40:37 PM »

I believe YouTube supports 1080 HD, and I'm not sure you can get better quality than that elsewhere...

Yeah I think I spoke too soon. When it was first uploaded it was unwatchable, but I ignored the part saying that it was being processed because I didn't think it'd make that much of a difference. Apparently it does  Gentleman
Poor Lazlo
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2009, 10:33:27 AM »

Wait, I might have judged youtube too early... now that it's finished processing it looks decent. Still curious about if any other sites have had better results though? I was thinking Vimeo, but I heard they banned game videos...

They do?
AuthenticKaizen
Freeware Ninja
Level 10

*Prestige Worldwide*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2009, 01:19:02 PM »

if you have uncompressed source material (mostly a few gb big) and converted it to divx you may consider to convert it also to mp4 and upload it on youtube too...
then check the differences.
maybe the quality is better that way.

PixelProspector.com - the indie goldmine + Marketing Guide for Indie Game Developers             
“Knowing is not enough, you must apply; willing is not enough, you must do.” (Bruce Lee)
PGGB
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2010, 03:41:53 AM »

They do?

Yes, gameplay footage is not allowed.
Tycho Brahe
Level 10

λx.x

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2010, 05:07:53 AM »

Vimeo bans gameplay, but they make it unclear what is allowed and what isint. From my understanding of it, game videos are only allowed if you made the game.
I don't think it's too stringent, metanet software post most of their development videos on there anyway.
kometbomb
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2010, 02:42:53 PM »

IMO the Vimeo TOS couldn't be any more straight on this: no gameplay videos unless you are the developer, not the marketing guy, and can prove that or if it's machinima.

• No captures of video games or gameplay, regardless if it is edited or not. Machinima with a story is allowed, provided the story is more than "guys doing exactly what the game was made for (eg skateboarding or shooting people)". Machinima videos must be properly labeled as such in the video description to avoid accidental deletion.
  • Video game developers may post videos of their work provided they cite their involvement in the description of the video (maps and mods to commercial games don't count). Here we are talking about development videos, not commercial trailers.

http://vimeo.com/guidelines#uploading_guidelines

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic