Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411529 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 29, 2024, 01:51:24 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)CreativeMessage to All New Gamemakers
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Author Topic: Message to All New Gamemakers  (Read 12562 times)
N. Crayon
Level 0

A man of little talent.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: June 23, 2010, 10:41:09 AM »

Just so you know, I registered to this forum just so I could post something here.

I'm a newbie, since even though I've completed a couple of projects just to amuse myself, I've never once actually published/released anything. Not once. I've got multiple small projects on every computer I've ever owned, thanks to cool things like ZZT and Game Maker, but my projects tend to die because

a) I'm done but I don't think it's release-worthy

b) I get about halfway through and lose all interest

c) The project gets technically done but never finished because I hate spriting and, coincidentally, am also no good at it. Seriously, nothing breaks my workflow more than sitting down to write something new into my game and realizing that I'm going to need 10 more sprites before this section is finished. So, pass.

I work in Game Maker these days- I know a smidgin of Java and a tiny snippet or two of C++, as well as being in the process of teaching myself Python. But it's hard to motivate myself about learning "real programming" when it's possible to make three and a half games in a week with Game Maker. It's so fun and easy that I just can't help myself.

So if anybody needs some tips with GML or Game Maker in general, let me know and I'll be happy to offer tips. And if anybody has some spare sprites that they don't know what to do with, well...
increpare
« Reply #41 on: June 23, 2010, 10:50:18 AM »

a) I'm done but I don't think it's release-worthy
Even if you're not too happy with them, it's totally cool to post them on the feedback forum here to get some general chat : )
Onza40
Level 0

YES

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: June 24, 2010, 04:55:55 AM »

To anyone who wants to move onto some "serious" coding, check out microsoft xna, free to students, uses C#, but it's pretty easy to get into and is very object oriented like game maker, just not in a drag and drop sense.
It's a nice step up, and is also very powerful.
njm1992
Level 0

Aaaaargh!

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 30, 2010, 04:11:23 AM »

Just so you know, I registered to this forum just so I could post something here.

Same deal here Smiley

I've had an interest in game development for a good while now and i've been messing around in game maker, but haven't really completed anything so far.

I think it's mostly because I lack confidence. I can't do art or music, but I can do coding in php, maybe a bit irrelevant, but it feels kinda similar to game maker's language.

So all in all, I'm a game maker newbie and I hope to eventually create something. Cheers! Coffee
Maikel_Ortega
Level 1

...and the stars, my destination.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: July 02, 2010, 03:47:02 PM »

Nice thread :D I have been hangin around tigsource and other gamedevs and indie gaming comunities, and time has already come to jump Tongue

Im studying computer engineering right now, and have been trying to make games since 2004 or so. RPG maker, flash (never used AS 3.0 though), game maker... But never ever finished a thing. The only thing i've ever made was a bomberman clone i made from scratch with x86 assembly code (university homework).

But now i'm following lazyfoo's SDL tuts (http://lazyfoo.net/SDL_tutorials/index.php), and i have 3 years of experience with C & C++ so I thing i've improved a lot. Just started my project 3 days ago (an arkanoid clone, i've been said to start simple Tongue), and it kinda works!
Maybe sounds lame, but it's awesome to realise your own improvement and to solve your own problems with the code.

I'm starting with pixel art (really liked Derek's tutorial) too, and i'm having a great time designing, dithering etc...

I really hope I can finish this arkanoid clone and that it'll give me the experience I need to start a nice project. You can check it out here:http://jump.fm/THFNY

So if you can give me feedback about what it lacks and stuff, i'd apreciate it.

I'd be glad to talk with people that's starting with gamedev like me, so feel free to MP me :D

See you around guys, and sorry about my english ^^'

Melee Studios:http://melee-studios.com<br />Forever WIP (ESP devlog): http://maikel.londite.es/devlog/
baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: July 02, 2010, 04:22:57 PM »

So if anybody needs some tips with GML or Game Maker in general, let me know and I'll be happy to offer tips. And if anybody has some spare sprites that they don't know what to do with, well...

PROTIP: Go to the "Competitions" sections and subforums "Assemblee: Part 1" and Part 2. Everything there is made with something called a "Creative Commons License;" it's all open-source in exchange for open-source projects, if I understand it correctly. But yeah, I feel ya! XD

N. Crayon
Level 0

A man of little talent.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: July 03, 2010, 12:34:37 PM »

PROTIP: Go to the "Competitions" sections and subforums "Assemblee: Part 1" and Part 2. Everything there is made with something called a "Creative Commons License;" it's all open-source in exchange for open-source projects, if I understand it correctly. But yeah, I feel ya! XD

I love all of those assets to death and I'll parrot what you said for the benefit of anybody skimming this forum: Go check out the Assemblee stuff. Seriously. You'll do yourself a disfavor if you dont.

That said: There's nothing like having a dedicated sprite artist that works on your game idea with you. It's a beautiful thing, having a person who just wants to make art with a person who just wants to code.
Bree
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: August 18, 2010, 09:33:09 AM »

I'm reviving this thread because I wanna get in on this. Lord knows that I've been a member of TIGSource for at least a couple of years, so it's about time I actually contributed a game to the site. I've dipped a pinky toe in the GameMaker water a couple of times, running through some really basic tutorials and making plans (lots of plans) for all sorts of games. Part of me is hesitant to commit to any big project, partly because there are so many different things that I want to do- I've tried taking on big projects in other media before, and I just didn't have the willpower or the skills to pull through.

I want this to be different, though. I'm taking a 3D animation class this fall, along with my first handful of fine arts classes, and I really want to take that learning and apply it to something. Last night, I realized that I want to create more things, and I want to complete them fully. Before the end of this year, I want to make one 2D game in GameMaker, and one 3D game in Unity. There, I'm typing it out and posting it here so that I can keep myself motivated. I don't know how this is going to pan out- I'm also currently involved in a comic tournament over at EnterVoid, school's starting up next week, and at some point I'm wanting to get back on track with the personal comic I started on earlier this year. But dangitall, I want to do more than just consume media and toss out random ideas as helpless daydreams. I want to create, and I sincerely hope that I can make those daydreams come true.

I've already downloaded both engines, and am reacquainting myself with the drag'n'drop code on GM before I get into GML, but I've got at least a little bit more help this time around- besides the support of TIGSource and its lovely mass of tutorials and helpful individuals, I also completed an Elementary Programming class last semester and, for the first time, I began to understand code as a language. Granted, it was the language of Jython, but it's a start. As I mentioned before, I'm taking a 3D animation class this semester, so I'm hoping against hope that I can combine that with my other interests to make something great. Wish me luck, internet!
Gagege
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: August 18, 2010, 03:17:53 PM »

Luck!

blog
Soli Deo Gloria
moonmagic
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: August 19, 2010, 12:28:03 AM »

This thread made me smile a few times.

I first tried to make games while I was in college; set up XCode, read a bunch of stuff on Objective-C, got as far as setting up my main loop and player class and gave up because it was so tedious. Made music and pixel-y videos for a few years.

It was somewhere between Clean Asia and Spelunky that I realized you could make legitimate games in Game Maker, so I gave it a try. I tried to make a ridiculous David Lynch shmup first, and then stumbled into an unofficial competition here ("Destroy the World"). I made Magic Planet Snack and learned a LOT about project scale (my "tiny" games invariably take months and months of "what happens if I...").

|
AustinD
« Reply #50 on: August 23, 2010, 11:06:37 AM »

I'm extremely new to the game making world. I just bought Game Maker for Mac and plan on making some simple things to start learning the program. I would like to start working on bigger projects with people though as learning experiences, because I've always found that as a better way to learn. If anyone wants to take a complete into their team newb just PM me.
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic