Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 27, 2024, 05:43:56 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsAssemblee: Part 2The Vastest Things [Will finish after deadline]
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: The Vastest Things [Will finish after deadline]  (Read 2673 times)
Dook
Level 0

Wombat!

View Profile
« on: December 28, 2009, 06:59:50 PM »

A late entry but I should be able to finish in time (despite exams in the middle of January Droop) I've been lurking around this forum for a long time and I'm excited to finally join the fun with something of my own.

The game will probably be a short and fairly simple afair. My initial plan was something like a pedestrian GTA Sokoban clone... Basically a little guy running around town looking for crates to push, things to collect and maybe finding love Well, hello there!

At the very least you'll get to push and puzzle some crates around.

Here's a simple screenshot of the goings on. So far I have simple tile movement, basic collision detection, animation etc.:

Next is adding NPCs and shifting between different city areas and entering buildings.

It's written in Java using the rather excellent Slick 2D Game Library.
http://slick.cokeandcode.com/
I'll hopefully put up a simple demo soon and I hope you will help test it on different platforms and systems.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 07:03:42 PM by Dook » Logged
Dook
Level 0

Wombat!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2009, 07:01:33 PM »

Here is a quick second shot of a usual day at the office.

Kazerad
Level 1

Should really make more games.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2009, 08:04:36 PM »

Grand Theft Auto / Sokoban. That's a combination I've never imagined.

Looks good so far, though it feels like the buildings should have a visible "top" so they don't look flat against the ground.

Also, if you don't mind me asking, where did you find the computer in the office? I've been trying to find good monitor graphics in the assemblee mess.

Slash - Santiago Zapata
The White Knight
Level 4

Java/Javascript Game Dev

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2009, 08:07:39 PM »

ditto here, where did you get the set to make the office, including the chair?

Dook
Level 0

Wombat!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2009, 08:14:57 PM »

Thanks for the feedback  Gentleman
I haven't found anything suitable to use as a top for buildings. But perhaps just a simple square in the same color as the edge will work.

The computers and such are from Tocky's pixel things:
http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=8793.0

The game really has nothing to do with GTA - my first thought was just to combine the open ended sand box type map with classic crate pushing puzzles. Not sure how far I'll get with that, though.
KissMaj7
Level 0

The silent man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2009, 10:17:14 AM »

Looks great!  Smiley Hand Thumbs Up Right

Dook
Level 0

Wombat!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2010, 05:25:07 PM »

Unfortunately all my time has been spent on preparing for an exam (involving actual assembly programming  Shrug) so there'll be no game from me before the deadline.

I've gotten pretty far, though, so I plan to release something later on. The little crate pushing guy is so close to finding love in Crate Town!
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic