Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411196 Posts in 69314 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: feakk

March 19, 2024, 01:07:25 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsAssemblee: Part 2Quipu Tactics Arena [not going to finish...]
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Quipu Tactics Arena [not going to finish...]  (Read 16160 times)
shrimp
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« on: December 30, 2009, 02:29:34 PM »

Current version:

Hmmm.. I've been messing around learning Flixel, and in the process making a little tactics engine... so I figure I might as well enter it.

The main asset I want to use is this crazy menagerie of bad boys.
And not because of the post in the "these should be used" sticky. Wink I'm a sucker for menageries. Some other small silhouette assets might also fit in.

Currently, I'm struggling to work out what to use for tiles. Here's a little mockup using some of tocky's stuff, but I had to add a black outline to the sprites. I *think* I can do this at runtime in flixel, but I'm not sure... Anyway, much as I love those tiles, maybe it should be a more sparse, consistent, Spectrumish look using some other tiles to do something like this? Anyone got any thoughts?

The main reference points for the game are the Chaos, Rebelstar and Laser Squad games, and stuff like Space Hulk.

I'll publish the "playable" preview in a bit... the joys of flash!!

(Oh, and sorry about the Myconomicon project which started with a fancy announcement and then sank immediately... time and tendons screwed us over a bit.)
« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 08:50:58 AM by Ed » Logged

kiwi
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2009, 02:50:09 PM »

I liked the first one better
Also on the topic of adding the black outline during runtime, you could use a glow filter I guess

shrimp
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2009, 03:01:15 PM »

Thanks Tongue
This one is more achievable though, for various reasons.

Regarding outlines, I mean it would be possible to do it at the pixel level, as in SDL. Anyway, might be irrelevent since I might go with the Rebelstar/Chaos look.

I should be able to upload something tomorrow... I just want to fix some UI bugs and play about with the tileset a bit first.

Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2009, 03:11:09 PM »

Wow this... this is going to be awesome! Glad to see those graphics being put to use!
yokomeshi
Level 0

tonight we're gonna party like it's 1989

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2009, 03:54:53 PM »

WinkHand Thumbs Up Right Cheers, mate!
oryx
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2009, 05:55:07 PM »

I think you should use the iso-tiles that went with the character tileset, or just super simple b/w line walls.
shrimp
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2009, 04:56:00 AM »

Thanks guys!
(edit: I kind of want to avoid iso stuff as I don't really have much experience wrangling the numbers, so it would be a bit too time consuming. Also I like the Laser Squad 2.5D projection too much!)

New mockup (which I may not have time to convert into a playable thing today, might be next year Wink)

Features:
  • yokomeshi's dudes,
  • easyname's 1-bit tiles (repurposed in 16x16 form),
  • ETG's gun guys and some tiles,
  • xion's strangely nonchalant robo-skele-devils (who will be the main bad guys with 4 levels of strength/decay),
  • Oddball's (Arne's) palette for colorizing
  • More to come...

The characters still require a black outline but I'm sure it's doable. I'm also looking into procedurally one-bitifying some other little bits and pieces Wink
« Last Edit: December 31, 2009, 07:24:43 AM by Ed » Logged

shrimp
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2009, 11:53:28 AM »

Here's a preview!

CLICK TO BATTLE... YOURSELF Hand Metal Right Hand Metal Right Hand Metal Right

There's no AI, so you have to play both teams.

The HUD is a mess, that's the next job (maybe). There will be some slide-on panels for the selected character and the targetted character, along with a % indicator for attacks.

There are two archers there, but no ranged combat yet Wink

There are currently a few non-assemblee placeholder things in there, they'll be replaced soon Smiley

The semi-PG map system is running. I have it almost set up so I can author the maps as PNGs and then when it loads them it will convert them into nice tiles. Currently it uses a single simple text file.

I've added sounds, mainly for a bit of feedback when attacking (although eventually there will be some nice yokomeshi-explosions as well).

Sound credits - may not all be used (yet), I got very confused with all the wav files:
  Stian Stark, pgil, FeebleTheMighty, Saros, Shaktool
Music:
  Atuun - "Flaut"

Mikademus
Level 10

The Magical Owl

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2009, 12:14:34 PM »

Tested, working well. White side won. Not much tactics to the tactical side of the game yet, but that'll come I guess. A double-pixel feature might be handy?

\\\"There\\\'s a tendency among the press to attribute the creation of a game to a single person,\\\" says Warren Spector, creator of Thief and Deus Ex. --IGN<br />My compilation of game engines for indies
shrimp
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2009, 12:23:43 PM »

Tested, working well. White side won. Not much tactics to the tactical side of the game yet, but that'll come I guess.

Thanks for testing! Yeah, tactics are absolutely minimal right now. In fact they might not be amazing in the final build, but we'll see... Smiley

A double-pixel feature might be handy?

It should currently be running at 2x zoom (400x320 game in 800x640 monitor pixels). Was this what you meant? I haven't tried changing the flixel setting at runtime, but if it doesn't like it I'll just compile a few versions at different zooms.

kiwi
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2009, 01:10:27 PM »

Sweet, I like the music and sound effects, can't wait for the finished version.
Good luck with your development.

Kazerad
Level 1

Should really make more games.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2009, 02:22:54 PM »

I lost  Cry

Seriously though, great start. The visuals and sounds work together perfectly.

J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2009, 04:01:57 PM »

Wow, the green team is seriously underpowered in this.  But I guess for a beginner level it should be pretty hard to lose.

Also: The white text is really hard to read on the light grey turn-indicating bar.

hi
oryx
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2009, 05:14:28 PM »

Really like this so far, has a nice mood and feel to it. Can't wait to see how it turns out.

Suggestions:
Needs a simple attack bounce or something.
Visible health bar next to each unit? or alternatively the ability to select any unit to see how healthy they are.
And obviously stuff like arrows and magic and all the other "content" stuff.
Reiss
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2010, 12:49:45 AM »

Sweet stuff!  The green team is pretty underpowered, but you definitely know that...

Really like this so far, has a nice mood and feel to it. Can't wait to see how it turns out.

Suggestions:
Visible health bar next to each unit? or alternatively the ability to select any unit to see how healthy they are.
And obviously stuff like arrows and magic and all the other "content" stuff.

Yup, agree with this -- and for a "health bar" that keeps in line with your minimal style, you could try messing with the sprites' alpha values?  More transparent = more damaged.
shrimp
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2010, 02:12:14 AM »

Also: The white text is really hard to read on the light grey turn-indicating bar.
Yeah, this is pretty much exactly the "HUD mess" I was talking about  Wink
The next version should have a near-finalised HUD/UI, so see what you think then...

Could you clarify this? Do you mean some movement of the sprite(s) during the attack or some kind of knock-back for the loser? (if knock-back then I am planning to add it for some creatures/attacks)

Heh, well, at the moment everyone has 1HP and the attack is just a kill/don't kill result. This is copying how Chaos* worked, although the game will probably end up not really suiting the 1HP idea. I'm not sure if there will be HPs or something more qualtitive like injured/KO'd/dead. Anyway, whatever it is, I'll make sure it's properly displayed!

(*play Chaos, Rebelstar and Laser Squad here! They are listed by year of release, which are 1985, 1986 and 1988 respectively)

The green team is pretty underpowered, but you definitely know that...
True, although the spindly bird things are pretty strong, the main problem for them is the big golem dude. Funnily enough when testing on my second PC, green won the first 3 times! I was getting worried that the RNG was machine-dependent in some mad way. Anyway, the main thing this proves is that it's too random right now. I might have to change the combat resolution system once the proper HUD makes it all more obvious what is going on.

Thanks for all the playtesting and suggestions! Really useful! Coffee

oryx
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2010, 02:26:00 AM »

I mean like, when a unit 'attacks' they just bounce up and down, or shake back and forth, or something to indicate they are 'attacking'.
shrimp
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2010, 04:08:42 PM »

oryx - yep, I'll hopefully implement that. I was thinking of just having sound + impact sprite, but it would be good to have that too.

Progress: I've mostly been working on the mission select side of things today, although I stupidly spend several hours working on an overworld map + "mission control centre" frame, and then when I put them in they just didn't remotely marry up with the spectrum-ish tactical view so I had to resdesign (and re-find assets) and start from scratch.

Here's the result (first pass version). Contains easyname's 1-bit tiles (again!), Oryx's 1-bit trees and tiles, and a few symbol bits from Oddball's font sheet.

Each city/factory/etc is a location where dynamically generated missions (assault, sabotage, rescue, etc) can become available. There's no "party" sprite on this map, you'll just click on the mission, go to a briefing/loadout screen of some sort and then go to the tactical map.

The monolith is supposed to be the in-game version of this, which will appear in the title screen/intro.
(clearly now I've looked again at Melly's original, I need to change the look of it a bit...)

I'll post up the abandoned version when I'm less annoyed at having made them in the first place Wink

shrimp
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2010, 10:42:38 AM »

Ok, due to illness and dayjob, I've basically got zero done since the last post, except another spectrumish rework and simplification of the world map.

So. I'm going to cut down the design to an arena tactics deathmatch/skirmish thing. Hopefully this will make it a bit less insane and more reasonable to finish in the time left (Saturday and Sunday morning, by the magic of timezones). I will probably do something based on Chaos's setup of each player having a wizard with the ability to summon a deck of creatures dealt out at the start of the match. Will be hotseat multiplayer and AI bots.

Attribute Clash
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2010, 04:04:40 AM »

ZX Spectrum!!  Kiss That's just great game! I like what you've done up to the moment!

I guess the health bar is not needed at all. There were not many livebars in ZX games and that's very stylish! You can give a few damage points to each creature (like golem has 3, archer 1 and so on) and add some qualitative states (injured, KO etc.)

That's pity we all do not have another month to polish up games. However, that is neverending process Smiley

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic