Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 08:44:37 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsJobsCollaborationsOpen Project: Four Swords-like Adventure (design time)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10
Print
Author Topic: Open Project: Four Swords-like Adventure (design time)  (Read 44175 times)
unsilentwill
Level 9

O, the things left unsaid!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: January 03, 2010, 05:54:16 PM »

Lots to say, not much time right now.

I agree with the arcade thing. I do, I really do, I'd just like a bit more complexity and freedom. Case in point, I played Commandoes last night until like 5 am with a few friends and it was amazing. It's a hard ass game with a few specialized characters and the story didn't really matter, just difficult objectives that had to be solved creatively. But it wasn't what I would call arcade. Either way, it should totally have both elements.

Uh... right. So a while back Fugsnarf posted about his Zelda engine, and got about two posts. Recently he posted in Collaberation looking for an artist, so I sent him a few PMs. So, where we are now is we have three possible engines, apparently Fugsnarf's default has network support as well. His engine is the furthest along, so I think you programmers will have to talk amongst yourself for the best solution.

My tablet isn't working that well, so I'm going to have to just do pixel work and draw out concepts by hand, and scan them in when I get back to school. Or I could rely on you guys, which would be pretty sweet.

Here's something that's still sort of a prototype.

But really we could use art or concept work for anything, buildings, people, enemies, trees.
Get to it guys!

Fugsnarf
« Reply #61 on: January 03, 2010, 06:38:06 PM »

I think I'm kind of in the dark to exactly what you want now. The original intent of my post in the collaborations thread was to get help on a single player game, which I think would really be the best choice for the kind of game you're trying to visualize from what you talked about. You want a really in-depth character-building storyline, as do I, and I think that would be best achieved single player.

I'd love to program for you, but I need to know exactly what we're going for now. What general time period would this game be in? What gameplay are you looking for?
unsilentwill
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: January 03, 2010, 09:53:49 PM »

The game would be four players of different attribute, each with a decent story behind them isn't necessarily told through annoying blocks of text or cut-scenes, rather through the events that occur. Fairly medieval, at least sort of simple agricultural and city structure, will possibility of early industry/pro-type robots, hopefully still making some sense.

And hey, if you don't want it to be single player you can always keep your idea separate. There's no need to force anything on anyone. Also, maybe someone here would be willing to help out.

Sorry for the confusion.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 04, 2010, 07:16:05 AM »

Lots to say, not much time right now.

I agree with the arcade thing. I do, I really do, I'd just like a bit more complexity and freedom. Case in point, I played Commandoes last night until like 5 am with a few friends and it was amazing. It's a hard ass game with a few specialized characters and the story didn't really matter, just difficult objectives that had to be solved creatively. But it wasn't what I would call arcade. Either way, it should totally have both elements.
That's the key point. This sort of thing only works with friends, not random people on the internet. In a context like this, adding too  much complexity often reduces freedom more than enhancing it. I think we should go for the "leanest" design possible, not ovely simplistic, but not too complex either.

Also, I'm currently kinda opposed to the setting/theme but that's another point of discussion I don't have the time to get into right now.

« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 07:19:11 AM by CAsinclair » Logged
unsilentwill
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: January 04, 2010, 10:52:03 AM »

Well, now's the time. Conceptualization. You don't have to make an argument, just offer some alternatives. We can do whatever we want here but eventually we should agree and start working.

And yeah, it's going to be a really fine balance between random L4D style co-op, and a more reliable party-based adventure. I'm not entirely sure if it's possible, but I'd really like to try, and if the game just ends up being a different version of Four Swords, I wouldn't mind too much.

Looks like Fugsnarf will be doing his own thing, so while us artists work on concepts, between Askin and Tim, who's on board to finish this thing?
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 01:39:23 PM by unsilentwill » Logged

TheDustin
« Reply #65 on: January 04, 2010, 08:49:28 PM »

I'm still down with contributing design ideas, and depending on the theme I might be able to contribute some music. Hopefully by the end of the week we can get past the conceptualization phase.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 05, 2010, 05:16:32 AM »

Well, now's the time. Conceptualization. You don't have to make an argument, just offer some alternatives. We can do whatever we want here but eventually we should agree and start working.
No, I meant that literally. I wrote that post right before I went out, so I didn't the have the time to go into any deep discussion about the theme. Cheesy

The gist is, I'm not a great fan of medieval/steampunkish settings and I'd like to bring more modern/sci-fi elements into it. It'd also be really cool if we didn't have swords or some equivalent of them as the standard weapon.  Wink
Kekskiller
« Reply #67 on: January 05, 2010, 06:32:41 AM »

The gist is, I'm not a great fan of medieval/steampunkish settings and I'd like to bring more modern/sci-fi elements into it.
Lightsabers? A nice alternative to standardized swords.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 05, 2010, 06:46:10 AM »

That's exactly what I'm trying to avoid. What I hate  about a lot of RPGish sci-fi games is that they're basically fantasy games with lazerz. There's almost always some kind of sci-fi equivalent of swords or magic. Fallout is a notable exception.
Mipe
Level 10

Migrating to imagination.

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 05, 2010, 06:51:07 AM »

An invisible sword makes more sense than lightsaber. First, you can approach your unsuspecting target with a friendly smile and thrust hand for handshake. Second, you can watch their expression as they walk into your sword.

Third, you don't need to draw the invisible sword.

Always practical uses > BOOM SHIZZ PEW PEW effects, if you want approving nods, else prepare for the endless trekkian ridicule. In the future, you'd get vaporized before you get to your target, lightsaber and jedi powers or not. The best defense is not to be there and that's where the future is: not here.

Nonsense brought to you by yours truly Mipey.  Durr...?
Poor Lazlo
« Reply #70 on: January 05, 2010, 07:53:40 AM »

Hmm. Problem is, it wouldn't really be much like a zelda game, if it didn't have some kind of sword, and swords don't really make sense in a universe where you have effective projectiles. Look at KoToR. Vibroblades are DUMB.
So are lightsabers.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 10:44:31 AM by Poor Lazlo » Logged
Jad
Level 8

Bomb Boy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: January 05, 2010, 09:51:49 AM »

Arcadey game where people have fun tossing each other around is sillydumb

sword + gun is sillydumb

see it goes so well together.

I might want to hijack this thread with visual concepts that'll hijack your retinas and make you think my awesome ideas are yours, making you turn my ideas into reality yes

anyways later
unsilentwill
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: January 05, 2010, 03:45:26 PM »

Pack your bags, we're hopefully moving to the Projects!

...Wait.

I understand what you mean, man. I think I have a solution and I think we could express that exact sentiment through gameplay! Hm, it's weird to think I have to put spoiler tags on a game that doesn't exists, but what if the game started out all sword and sorcery, except one of the characters was from the modern age, didn't realize it, and sort of went along with it. Until, the party reaches his homeland and there is a conflict between the modern weaponry/morality and the primitive and medeivel?...

Just throwing that out there, I think it would mesh well with Theo's idea way back of having four seperate (but uniform to topdown--to some degree. Creativity encouraged!) art styles, and that could include time and weapon styles, without necessarily involving the mental Special Olympics of time travel.

Kiss this thread!

Poor Lazlo
« Reply #73 on: January 05, 2010, 03:53:14 PM »

the game started out all sword and sorcery, except one of the characters was from the modern age, didn't realize it, and sort of went along with it. Until, the party reaches his homeland and there is a conflict between the modern weaponry/morality and the primitive and medeivel?...

So, it's a zelda game crossed with the best Cormac McCarthy novels?

I...

I think I like it!  My Word!
Skofo
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 05, 2010, 04:01:14 PM »

I haven't read this entire thread, but I'm familiar with the fact that this is a conceptual Four-Swords-esque game which will be done by a big bunch of people.

I don't mean to be a party pooper, but I just wanted to remind you guys that too many cooks spoil the broth. Community games definitely can work, but I feel that they work the best when they are games that have a basic to no story and can do well with a ton of random content, such as Hedgewars, Indie Brawl and Battle for Wesnoth. I think that for a linear, story-centric adventure game, you'd be more efficient with a smaller and tighter team, at least until the project is on solid ground and you know exactly where you're going.

But hey, if you trust your instincts, then by all means go for it! Just wanted to give a heads up, since I think that this is something that should be considered.

If you wish to make a video game from scratch, you must first invent the universe.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: January 05, 2010, 04:44:59 PM »

I don't mean to be a party pooper, but I just wanted to remind you guys that too many cooks spoil the broth. Community games definitely can work, but I feel that they work the best when they are games that have a basic to no story and can do well with a ton of random content
That's what I've been trying to argue. I don't think community projects are the right place for experiments.

Anyway, I like your proposal for the theme, unsilentwill. Let's see what we can put together.  Wink
sergiocornaga
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: January 05, 2010, 05:11:57 PM »

How about making an engine and a good level editor with a smaller team, and then opening up as a community project where everyone can design levels?
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 05, 2010, 09:00:25 PM »

It seems like the project may go places so I'll move this to Projects. If there's any problem or this crashes and burns miserably (hope not!) let me know about it.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
unsilentwill
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: January 06, 2010, 11:54:23 AM »

Thanks Melly.

I think it was Theo's suggested back in the Helga thread that there could be four different art styles for each character that got me interesting in having a bigger team with community input. Also, as an American I'm not too conscious of "the rest of the world" as I'd like to be, so its interesting to see various nations with different cultural focuses. I think having a few artists and musicians using their own styles really brings something interesting to the often generic multiplayer.

Hopefully I and the other writers/designers can meld the different styles and show how they interact/conflict, much like societies today have to deal with each other, and I think having a subtle connecting narrative would help. As far as the level editor idea, I definitely think that could work later on for some pure dumb fun for everyone.

As for some logistics, I think this thread will still function for anyone who has some interesting ideas of artistic/music style, though the "team" I have written up will function as the (Smaller) community. I'm thinking between those who volunteered we could start up a GoogleWave, not to be pretentious, but to allow for a nice asset dumping space and for realtime discussion about the elements of the game. I definitely think we should get started immediately, so either post what you've got in mind here, or if you're interested PM me with your Wave address or a request for an invite (I have 25 apparently) and let's get this thing going!

rayteoactive
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: January 06, 2010, 12:48:36 PM »

I was very interested with the initial post, but the rest of the thread was just... too many text. Seems like lots of suggestion, but no one to decide what to do. If you want to do this, you probably have to draw a line somewhere. Else, it will just turn out to be a massive idea dump.

Still, the idea of a 4 player zelda sounds great and there's just so many ideas that comes to mind. If I were to do it though, probably not different nation or whatever. Maybe zombie, pirate, ninja and robot. Man, that would so kick ass.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic