Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411433 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58418 Members - Latest Member: Pix_RolleR

April 20, 2024, 07:04:25 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsAssemblee: Part 2The Girl and the Shadow [FINISHED]
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: The Girl and the Shadow [FINISHED]  (Read 4564 times)
Aik
Level 6

View Profile
« on: January 01, 2010, 05:48:46 AM »

Download

(it gets a name change because I ended up removing the other shadows, not because I think this is a better name...)

Since I gave up on my first project I've been working on this - not especially hard, but I think I can get it done in time if I stop dicking around.

The basic idea is to go and get the different costumes (which have some kind of animal spirits or something in them? The plot is kinda loose) which give different abilities, the ultimate goal being to drive away the shadows. I'll hold off posting a demo until you can at least use the tiger costume, but thought I'd better start a thread now or I might never get around to it.

'Girl in the Shadows' is very much a working title, but I can't come up with anything. Help in that area would be appreciated. Thinking of taking the lazy way out and giving her a name, then just calling the game that ... but I can't think of something good to call her, so ... yeah.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 06:15:14 AM by Aik » Logged
J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2010, 06:44:48 AM »

Cool, I was hoping someone would do something with that stuff!

hi
Kazerad
Level 1

Should really make more games.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2010, 09:33:53 AM »

I agree, it's awesome to see someone using Joaquim's girl and all her creepy headwear.

oryx
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2010, 09:39:38 AM »

Cool. The green guy looks kind of out of place compared to the other art though  - but I guess that comes with the kind of competition.
Jo-o
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2010, 01:01:21 AM »

GREAT!!!.(I'm a jerk right?) I mean....is good see when people use the stuff you made....

Aik
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2010, 03:04:25 AM »

Guess it's time for an update.

All the fundamentals are there. Tomorrow I'm going to try and get enough focus together to make it not suck.

Actually, just to suck less. There is intrinsic suck. It just isn't a very good game. Doing some actual design might have helped rather than just coding along in a daze ('hmm, there doesn't seem to be any gameplay ... hmm, well, she has an axe - what can I have her hit with an axe? Oooh, here's something. Hrm, now, what can the tiger do? Crawl? Uh, we'll call it sneaking. Right....').

My order of priority for tomorrow:
  • Get all the sounds and music in.
  • Fix the area transition bug
  • Try and add some dialogue so that the player has some idea what and why they're doing stuff
  • Make the green walking guy's death animations suck less
  • Poke the girl's animations and try and work out why they're so jerky
  • Change the controls to something sensible
  • Actually finish the areas

Quite a list - doubt I'll get through it all. But whatever - a shitty but done game is better than no game, and at least I can move on to something less bad (or not, as the case may be).

Anyone know when the deadline actually is? Because I don't see a timezone noted anywhere. At any rate, hopefully I'll have a good-enough-is-good-enough version by midnight my time and can just leave it at that.
Aik
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2010, 06:11:40 AM »

Aaaaand done. I wouldn't say I'm happy with it but good enough is good enough. I don't think I'm in any position to judge it anymore, but I suspect it's terrible. Will update the first post in a moment with the download.
Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2010, 06:46:56 AM »

Liked: This thing is bizarre! I kind of really enjoyed it. I can't explain why, and I know there are a ton of bugs and numerous other issues, but for some reason I played it all the way through, twice! I think it's like if Troma made games then this is the game they'd make, and I mean that in the best possible way.

Disliked: There are a shed load of problems I could put here, but I kinda liked all the weird bugs and little inconsistencies. It added to the B-Game experience.

Conclusion: Crazy, bizarre, bugged, but still strangely enjoyable.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic