Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411488 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: graysonsolis

April 29, 2024, 12:22:46 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperAudioDustin's Junkie Folk/Drone Doom/Indie Low-Fi/8-Bit NOISE
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Dustin's Junkie Folk/Drone Doom/Indie Low-Fi/8-Bit NOISE  (Read 3978 times)
TheDustin
« on: January 02, 2010, 05:08:21 PM »

Hey guys, my vidya game making skills aren't quite up to par yet, so in the meantime I thought I'd post some of my music I've made. I haven't had a single music lesson before, and I love experimenting with different instrumentation and textures and whatnot. If you wanted to be gracious you could call it 'outsider art', but if you didn't want to you could just call it noise.  Wink I generally use various guitars in Sonic Youth tunings, a harmonica, an autoharp, Game Boy synthesizers, and whatever else I think would sound cool. Any feedback would be highly appreciated. And if you want to feature anything in your game or want me to compose something (I'd love to do a horror title!) hit me up.

Something (Beauty in Chaos) - http://www.box.net/shared/yy64s9ff6a
Something I made within the past two weeks, it's my first recording that I'm not half ashamed of. My previous two have a lot slower tempo and are more guitar-centric, this is more varied in instrumentation. Probably should be the first to check out.

Dark - http://www.box.net/shared/n5zks81hxl
A three song EP I made. It's heavily influenced by Earth, Sunn, Boris, and all those other Drone Doom artists. The only track I'm happy with is the title one, which is made with an autoharp, harmonica, and Game Boy synthesizer.

Dusty ROM - http://www.megaupload.com/?d=NF6NW1Y8
My first album of music. Pretty low-tempo, I really like the way my guitar pieces turned out. The Game Boy tracks are admittedly sub-par though.  It's a loose concept album about a dude who loses his girlfriend, becomes addicted to speed, and breaks his favorite game cartridge on the same day.

Thanks again for checking this stuff out, I'll post my Facebook page as soon as I get it built up.  Gentleman
« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 12:12:24 PM by TheDustin » Logged
pgil
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2010, 05:26:53 PM »

Megaupload says the files are unavailable. You should try Dropbox or box.net - they're free and they don't suck.
TheDustin
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2010, 06:00:00 PM »

Here's Something (Beauty in Chaos) - http://www.box.net/shared/yy64s9ff6a

I'm new to this whole thing, thanks for linking me to box.net . I'll link the other two shortly.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2010, 02:51:43 PM by TheDustin » Logged
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2010, 12:22:12 AM »

I listened to "Dark" yesterday already with the volume on my headphones turned way up, it was some heavy, droney shit. Also, I couldn't make out the individual instruments at all, which is of course the way it should be with this kind of music.  Cheesy
Poor Lazlo
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2010, 12:26:53 PM »

I just downloaded "Something". I like it so far!

Little Sister's Toy Piano sounded like it was done with a stylophone.
TheDustin
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2010, 03:00:20 PM »

I'm glad you guys dig it!

Sinclair - I decided to take a page from Sunn's book instead of Earth's by using more than a guitar, and I'm glad I did. Now when I'm at school I'm always scoping out weird instruments that I might be able to use.  Cheesy

Lazlo - I wish I had a stylophone, but I had to settle with a toy piano.  Wink To give it that texture I recorded it onto a cassette player, and then recorded that recording with my computer microphone. It's what I did for all the 8-Bit tracks as well, I really like the warm analog feel it gives them.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2010, 04:10:26 PM »

I'm glad you guys dig it!

Sinclair - I decided to take a page from Sunn's book instead of Earth's by using more than a guitar, and I'm glad I did. Now when I'm at school I'm always scoping out weird instruments that I might be able to use.  Cheesy
That's kinda how I started with music, actually. When I was a kid, my parents used to buy me cheap instruments, because, being hippies (no, really), they believed in free creative expression from an early age. That's also why they never forced me to take lessons which I wasn't interested in anyway. My first instrument was one of those little Casio keyboards. I never tried to play melodies or anything, I just randomly bashed on the keys to one of the "preset beats" and sang tuneless shit on top of it. I was a primary school Wesley Willis, basically.  Cheesy
TheDustin
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2010, 12:19:36 PM »

For everybody who checked out "Something": what did you think of 5 AM Stroll? I was trying to channel a 6995 vibe; something 8-bit but not necessarily chiptunes.

At the moment I discovered an interesting guitar tuning, and it's been a great motivation to make some more stuff. I'm planning on making a Sonic Youth meets Nick Drake approach; hopefully it'll be more approachable than my usual noise outings. And once I get enough tracks compiled I'll make an hour-long Drone Doom album.

Does anybody know of any cheap instruments (under $20) from, say, Amazon? There aren't any music shops this far up north and I was wondering what else I could implement in my stuff.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic