Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411516 Posts in 69380 Topics- by 58436 Members - Latest Member: GlitchyPSI

May 01, 2024, 10:07:15 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)StackOverflow for game developers
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: StackOverflow for game developers  (Read 6311 times)
Klaim
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2010, 01:57:00 PM »

My wish is becoming true : http://area51.stackexchange.com/proposals/2825?phase=definition

IF YOU WANT TO MAKE ME LOVE, PLEASE VOTE FOR IT!!!! XD

(and for the "Making Comics" one that I created too, if you're interested)

lansing
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2010, 04:06:12 PM »

how do i vote against it?
Mikademus
Level 10

The Magical Owl

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2010, 02:33:47 PM »

how do i vote against it?

You don't; that'd be redundant and worthless. No suggestion at that site is initiated until there has been enough interest expressed and committed.

\\\"There\\\'s a tendency among the press to attribute the creation of a game to a single person,\\\" says Warren Spector, creator of Thief and Deus Ex. --IGN<br />My compilation of game engines for indies
Skofo
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2010, 04:03:42 PM »

Why would you vote against it? If you don't like it, it doesn't have to be a part of your life.

If you wish to make a video game from scratch, you must first invent the universe.
baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2010, 07:47:39 PM »

40 views for "How do I become a full time indie game developer?"
70 views for "How much money can a flash game make?"
29 views for "If you had to make 100k in one year from indie game development, how would you go about it?"
27 views for "How do you sell games online?"

Actual design, technical and such questions have none or next to no views. Nice to see what people really think when they talk indie games.  Lips Sealed

118 views for "Where are the best XNA tutorials?"

And actually, I thought this kind of thing is exactly what TIGSauce is ultimately about! Wink (It's just a little Quentin Tarantino about it's ordering.)

From what I understand, after the "Introduce yourself" topic, it basically flows from the bottom of the site up. Art/Design/Audio/DevLogs kick a project off. Feedback lets you fine-tune a playable version and get just that. If a project/collab is deemed "TIGSauce Community," it goes in the Projects area; and final/semi-final released are posted in Announcements.

Then you have Technical/Math/Business subforums to help deal with legality and programming issues, and a Tutorials forum (that could be sorted into GM/Java/Flash/XNA/C++ to organize them, but I digress) for people still green around the programming, or to troubleshoot/redesign parts you're tripping over.

Shrug But maybe it's just me.

Businesswise, it comes down to personal budgeting, without overshooting, being too greedy, or milking hexidec-ilogies; for an outcome that's fair and enriching to all parties involved (and convenient for internet-purchasing).

EDIT: "Game engine architecture tutorial." Get this.

326 views.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2010, 07:53:22 PM by baconman » Logged

radioact1ve
Level 0

What?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2010, 07:48:30 AM »

I think a totally GAME oriented stackoverflow would allow people to concentrate on games and their technics (be int game design, on paper, in programming, with cards, etc.).

So, it wouldn't be about game programming but creating GAMES, theory, practice, whatever the medium used. Having straight questions about game balancing, game code organisation or even game context/scenario theory, with answers approved by experienced people will greatly help the community to grow and be more mature on the knowledge side.

Now this I would LOVE to see. Already voted over at Area51.

racter
Level 0

Jake Elliott / Cardboard Computer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2010, 11:22:28 AM »

The stack exchange site is out of private beta now & live to the public! http://gamedev.stackexchange.com/
« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 11:27:41 AM by racter » Logged

Jake Elliott / Cardboard Computer. Recent games: We Were You | Ruins
Guard
Level 0

Java's cool.

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2010, 01:37:36 PM »

Hey, I would bookmark it and visit it! Hehe.

Programming since Sept 2009
Web Developing since 2006
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic