Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 04:43:14 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsAssemblee: Part 2Bleerg - another roguelike entry [Finished]
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Bleerg - another roguelike entry [Finished]  (Read 4647 times)
cndpnts
« on: January 03, 2010, 05:24:52 PM »

I found out about Assemblee through a link on reddit and after seeing Oryx's tiles I decided I just had to try to build a tiny roguelike. I've never written a game before and the Jan. 10th deadline is coming up quick, so I'll set the bar low and count anything that's playable as a personal success.

For now it's going by the name "Bleerg", which is what I said in frustration while trying to come up with an actual name.

I'll be using the HTML5 canvas element and javascript as the basis. I have a mercurial repo at http://bitbucket.org/buzaan/cvrogue with what I have now and hope to find hosting before the deadline.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 11:10:08 PM by cndpnts » Logged
deathtotheweird
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2010, 05:32:38 PM »

oh wow awesome. Ghostwheel was showing us some html5 games in irc lately, so this will be awesome to check out.
cndpnts
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2010, 11:20:40 PM »

Well, I wasn't able to include everything I wanted with the time I had, but I have something playable anyway.

I did all the development in Safari and Chrome so it should be working in those browsers. Opera may work too, but I'm fairly sure MSIE won't.

This is this first time I've used JavaScript or done any browser-based development, but it was kind of fun. I'm not sure how idiomatic the JS I wrote was, but I can kind of understand the comparisons to Scheme and Lisp now.

The goal is to get to the top of the tower/dungeon's 15 floors. There are various power-ups scattered in the dungeon and a selection of increasingly difficult monsters. I didn't have the time to add anything much more than that. No magic, equipment, or consumables. Just a quick hack'n'slash roguelike. I didn't work on balance either, so it's likely to be either really easy or completely unforgiving.

The source is at http://bitbucket.org/buzaan/cvrogue I don't have a place to host the files in a playable state but you can download it from there, open index.html, and play it locally (just click on the "get source" link).

~ edit ~

I just realized I can serve static files through dropbox: You can play it at http://dl.dropbox.com/u/293743/cvrogue/index.xhtml now.

I also made a few fixes after the deadline (there was a bug that would prevent you from finishing, and I tweaked the level table a bit) which I've pushed to the repo. The dropbox link will be using the assemblee code however.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 09:23:41 PM by cndpnts » Logged
cpets
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2010, 11:47:30 PM »

Yay another js/canvas entry! I just tried it on on Firefox and got a black screen. Chrome works much better--I wish I'd gotten as much gameplay done. I'm interested to see how our code compares, so I'll probably give it a read-through tomorrow. Nice work!
Pishtaco
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2010, 11:14:31 AM »

I couldn't get this to run. It starts in firefox, but the keys don't work (the firefox version is: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-GB; rv:1.9.1.6) Gecko/20091201 Firefox/3.5.6 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729)). I tried the download, but there's no "index.html", only "index.xhtml".

Zolyx
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2010, 12:22:14 PM »

I have the same problem. Sad Will try installing Chrome to have a look see (I'm blogging mini-reviews of entries on my blog so I'll play this somehow! :D).

Would be good if it were fixed for Firefox somehow, though.

My version:
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-GB; rv:1.9.1.7) Gecko/20091221 Firefox/3.5.7

Mostly harmless indie gamer
Zolyx.co.uk :: The Minecraft Museum
Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2010, 04:56:40 PM »

Liked: Very simple and easy to get into. I played this far longer than perhaps I should have.

Disliked: Once I realised how the mechanics of the game worked it became really easy. In the end I had to surround myself with enemies just to get any challenge.

Conclusion: Nice and simple, but just strayed into too easy. Good fun though.

cndpnts
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2010, 08:25:53 PM »

Thanks for taking the time to give my little game a play through, everyone.

That it doesn't work in Firefox is unfortunate. I spent a little time with it earlier and didn't have much luck, but after downloading Firefox 3.6 and spending a few minutes with it it seems to be working now.

It is very easy. If you don't die to the first few monsters you're basically set for the rest of the game Smiley There aren't enough items or abilities to make things more interesting and I didn't have much time to work on balance before the Assemblee deadline (and I wanted to keep any modifications after the deadline limited to bugfixes).

Benjamin Crackers
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2010, 06:32:07 AM »

I agree with the previous two posters that it gets too easy after a while. But it is still kind of addictive and I think I enjoyed killing defenseless babies a little too much.  Crazy It gets really boring after a few levels but I played through till the end, kinda hoping something new would happen.

Also, it would be nice if there's a key to restart after you die. Hand Any Key
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic