Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411522 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 07:26:25 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsAssemblee: Part 2A game with a swarm[Missed the Deadline, to be continued]
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: A game with a swarm[Missed the Deadline, to be continued]  (Read 2109 times)
Lon
Level 4

View Profile
« on: January 04, 2010, 11:13:56 PM »

Update January 11th 12:30ish AM:
 Roll Eyes
  Well I missed the dead line.  What I have now I wouldn't consider a game, though it is getting close.  So no entry from me for Assemblee: Part 2.  Sorry to disappoint. 

Good news is that I will release a playable version of the game and the source code for it before February 16th!  Also I had a lot of fun working on this game, learned a lot and have really enjoyed interacting with this awesome community of talented persons.

\/>---------Old--------<\/
Not much time left for the compo (just till the tenth right?), but I have decided I will make an entry.

I am still trying to make some important design decisions.  Whatever I decide to do, I will have something to enter though.  Wink  Ill just have to jump and run in a direction here shortly.

I was thinking of doing something with a swarm.  A swarm of what?  Energy? Bugs? Mushroom? Spaceships?  Not to sure yet.  I was originally thinking of doing a shootEmUp, but now I am not so sure...  Ive got other ideas now.

Anyways, swarms are interesting and there size is mostly CPU bound.  Examples I have seen tend to grow at O(n^2) time (lots of ways to cheat/reduce this that are good enough for game purposes).  More information about swarming, flocking, or rather Boids can be found here: http://www.red3d.com/cwr/boids/

I am using Processing (www.processing.org).  So my entree should be Java program(s) that can run on Windows, Mac or Linux.  Processing is very distracting to use... it is lots of fun just to create and tweak 'interactive art'.

Here is a screen shot of some prototyping I am playing with (trails are currently left by the particles):

User control of the swarm is interesting, will probably take a lot of tweaking.
NOTE: Some of my code is inspired/based/derived from an excellent example of swarm/flcoking/boids called Flocking by Daniel Shiffman (see: http://processing.org/learning/topics/flocking.html)
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 12:37:26 AM by BigLon » Logged

“We all sorely complain of the shortness of time, and yet have much more than we know what to do with. Our lives are either spent in doing nothing at all, or in doing nothing to the purpose, or in doing nothing that we ought to do..." -Seneca
jotapeh
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2010, 07:33:13 AM »

Cool dude! I like this.

I've always had passing ponderings about the 'duck in the middle of the flock' - how does it decide which direction to fly, when vision is limited to a small cluster of ducks surrounding it? That page provides a nice model for it.

Neat behavioural mechanics should lend itself nicely to a game  Hand Thumbs Up Right
Lon
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2010, 01:23:15 AM »

Just a small update, I decided what direction to go with this game.  Going to control a squadron (swarm) of ships using the mouse and keyboard.  Fly around and destroy other ships.
Now I need to design the game and get it playable by the deadline!

I am also planning on releasing the source code for this entry.

“We all sorely complain of the shortness of time, and yet have much more than we know what to do with. Our lives are either spent in doing nothing at all, or in doing nothing to the purpose, or in doing nothing that we ought to do..." -Seneca
racter
Level 0

Jake Elliott / Cardboard Computer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2010, 09:49:00 AM »

That sounds like a lot of fun - looking forward!

Jake Elliott / Cardboard Computer. Recent games: We Were You | Ruins
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic