Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 08:19:06 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsGAMMA (Moderator: fish)Obligatory Ninja Game
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Obligatory Ninja Game  (Read 3437 times)
JamesGecko
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« on: January 05, 2010, 10:37:56 AM »

I have partnered with one "Tangent128" (not pictured) to answer a question which I know has been burdening everyone since the announcement of this contest: What would Assassin's Creed be like if it only used one button? Furthermore, what if it was programmed in Python in a month by two guys who can't draw?

Well, 3D would take too long, so that's gone. The free-roaming environment was also non-starter, so we didn't even try that. There's only one mission now. Also, you can't jump. Other than that, it's exactly the same.*

I'm painfully pixeling everything out in 16x16 tiles. When I have enough tiles to approximate a screenshot, I shall replace all the tiles that say things like "wall", and "floor", and show you! But first, I must deal with some relatively minor issues. Things like a complete AI system, collision detection, and level design. Mere formalities, really.

* Sameness may be debatable.
TheCube
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2010, 12:03:53 PM »

This post made me laugh uncontrollably for approximately 35 seconds.  Well done!  Gentleman
JamesGecko
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2010, 10:44:35 PM »

In a startling turn of events, I was abandoned by my partner. Deep within the technical workings of my game engine, I came to the realization that I could not complete both the game and the engine by the deadline. Oh, and classes have started. But I will submit something! By cutting a lot of corners! And using Game Maker(tm)!
It's rather depressing how quickly I was able to recreate what I had in Game Maker, actually. I probably should have switched before the last week.

Behold multimedia material! Although you cannot see it, there's almost actual gameplay there. The player controls rather nicely. Guard AI is about halfway functional. Were there a wall in the level, with the guard on one side and the player on another, the guard would be unable to see the player!

It needs to bake a lot more than a week to really live up to the "simple" concept we originally designed. I'll submit because it's still a nifty concept I've spent time on, but I look forward to getting shown up by everyone else. Smiley

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic