Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411474 Posts in 69369 Topics- by 58423 Members - Latest Member: antkind

April 23, 2024, 12:41:06 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsAssemblee: Part 2Realm of the Mad God [Flash MMO Finished]
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10
Print
Author Topic: Realm of the Mad God [Flash MMO Finished]  (Read 191709 times)
Wild Shadow
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: January 13, 2010, 07:34:28 PM »

Was just trying this out. The premise is fun, but I feel like it is direly in need of some "quick chat" functions. Like, a button to hit to declare "Medic!", "Thanks!", or "Help!", perhaps showing a speech bubble with its tail pointing to your character

These are good ideas!  We'd love to encourage ad-hoc grouping and co-op play as much as we can.  We're also thinking that's it's a bit hard to find and get to people for grouping.  Any ideas?

Rob & Alex, Wild Shadow Studios

Wild Shadow Studios -- wildshadow.com
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 13, 2010, 07:43:51 PM »

How about someone can send out a 'flare', which shows up on the map? You can pick a color, too.

Or, someone can just click an option for 'SEARCH', and it'll show up in the chat as a 'link'; click it and you get sent to the person.
Kazerad
Level 1

Should really make more games.

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 13, 2010, 07:54:08 PM »

Or you could give the option to put a "tracking tag" on another player. It would show what direction they were if they walked off your screen. That way people playing with a friend could easily regroup when one dies, and players who are looking to stick with a group of strangers could just put a tag on someone in that group so they could more easily catch up to them. You wouldn't have to worry about losing them if you get separated.

Lon
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 13, 2010, 08:00:47 PM »

These are good ideas!  We'd love to encourage ad-hoc grouping and co-op play as much as we can.  We're also thinking that's it's a bit hard to find and get to people for grouping.  Any ideas?

It is difficult to find friends and/or your group if you get separated (or die).  Being able to send a ping on the mini map would be nice for not only finding friends, but also for pointing out different locations.  I know that some archers with the Golden Bow shoot in all directions, or Mages use fire to grab players attention when you are nearby.  Perhaps away to see user names on the minimap would be nice.  Id imagige that would get crowded or messy pretty quickly though.

It can be difficult to find Oryx too.  Perhaps he can have his own dot mini map. Or maybe that is part of the fun, hunting Oryx.  But it isn't much fun if you can't ever find him and some one kills him before you get to see him... XP

Kazerad's tag idea is nice.

“We all sorely complain of the shortness of time, and yet have much more than we know what to do with. Our lives are either spent in doing nothing at all, or in doing nothing to the purpose, or in doing nothing that we ought to do..." -Seneca
TheRadicalOne
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 13, 2010, 08:54:51 PM »

Hey, I've been playing your game for a few days now and I think it's incredible for a flash MMO.

I was just thinking you could encourage player grouping more if players had a small HP/MP meter above their head, or any indicator of what condition they're in, like the color of their name changing from green to red. It's a bit frustrating to see a teammate die right next to you while you are a priest and just didn't know how much life they had.

Maybe potions could also heal everyone around you in a (much smaller) area of effect? Since it's a fast paced game, being able to move next to someone and use a healing/magic potion on both of you could really be great for the small armies I keep seeing.

I agree with the suggestions everyone else gave so far about finding each other, the boss, where you actually are in the world.

Great job on the game so far and thanks!
hatu
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: January 14, 2010, 12:38:47 AM »

This is amazing, it really captured what I liked about MMOs when I was younger. Hand Thumbs Up Right

I guess it's already been discussed but I'm not sure if I like the rotating camera.
Lon
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: January 14, 2010, 12:56:25 AM »

I guess it's already been discussed but I'm not sure if I like the rotating camera.
You can press 'o' or '0' to toggle control schemes.  Using the alternative control scheme you can easily play without having the camera rotate.  It will play more top down, like Zelda, Bomberman and the likes.

“We all sorely complain of the shortness of time, and yet have much more than we know what to do with. Our lives are either spent in doing nothing at all, or in doing nothing to the purpose, or in doing nothing that we ought to do..." -Seneca
J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #107 on: January 14, 2010, 05:07:38 AM »

It can be difficult to find Oryx too.  Perhaps he can have his own dot mini map. Or maybe that is part of the fun, hunting Oryx.  But it isn't much fun if you can't ever find him and some one kills him before you get to see him... XP
This is again why I'd like to see more differentiation on the map, maybe have a section in the middle of the map where it looks like a temple.  I say the middle because if Oryx spawned in the middle of the map, it would take all players about an equal amount of time to get to him.

hi
rszrama
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #108 on: January 14, 2010, 07:17:08 AM »

Not to play devil's advocate, but people can just alter their play strategy according to the game at the moment.  I missed Oryx the first time he spawned b/c the people fighting him wouldn't respond about his location.  However, I managed to figure it out based on map activity and a preponderance of item drops when I finally got there.  Now I know where he spawns based on my familiarity with the world map, and as the creature count nears 0 I head his direction.  If I'm not mistaken, based on ZarroTsu's map, he spawns in the south of the Iota quadrant.

I game as Scarvye. I blog roguelikes / indie games as a Rogue Wombat
Meow
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: January 14, 2010, 07:34:30 AM »

Tehe, love it~

Change to the minimap is much appreciated, can actually navigate to where I want now. Further appreciated changes would be a small grid to make telling people where you are easier and possibly a faint outline of the map to speed things up a tiny bit~

Just wondering, is there a way to call up a list of players without refreshing the page?

I love how we now spawn right in the bit of the map full of tough monsters, but I think this needs to be tweaked a bit. At one point we had 10 pages of people spawning and dieing. I respawned to go help them and found it surrounded by flying brains xD. While hilarious I don't think the lower level players appreciated it much.

Miscellaneous ideas I have are:
*Reducing the player's hitbox a bit. This is probably just me playing as a rogue and pretending I'm in a shmup or something but whatever. Perhaps it could be a special thing for the rogue? (Tongue, not a very good idea I know)
*Toning down knights a bit. They're invincible and not much worse off than my rogue speed-wise.
*More monsters between humans and slime/ghost gods, djinns and whatever. Currently there are cyclops gods, minotaurs and the robots as far as I know. I think a few more could bridge the gap a bit I guess~?
*Something which tells you how long you've been playing. ><

Thanks anyway~
VinceTwelve
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #110 on: January 14, 2010, 08:26:35 AM »

I had been having a bunch of fun with this over the last few days, but now when I log in, I'm swarmed by high-leveled monsters and die in seconds.  Log in again, same thing.  Cry

Wild Shadow
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: January 14, 2010, 08:38:38 AM »

Just wondering, is there a way to call up a list of players without refreshing the page?

Type "/who" in chat to get a list of who's logged on at the moment.

Wild Shadow
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: January 14, 2010, 08:40:57 AM »

I had been having a bunch of fun with this over the last few days, but now when I log in, I'm swarmed by high-leveled monsters and die in seconds.  Log in again, same thing.  Cry

We rebooted the server, which should give everyone a few hours of respite against the Slime Gods etc who are currently reproducing like rabbits.  We'll have a more permanent fix for this later today.

ZarroTsu
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: January 14, 2010, 10:21:11 AM »

A new problem seems to be (for me at least, so far) upon logging in with a previous character,I am given the name "Name" for the chat box. My name still says "Loki" over under the mini-map, and when I level up; but the brackets seem to just say "Name". Not sure if this is the same for under my character as well, but it may be because of closing the game and re-opening only after a few minutes.
SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: January 14, 2010, 12:27:31 PM »

Drop rates on rings are really unfortunately low. Since priests can only equip rings, this results in my getting an unfortunately small amount of equippable loot when I play.

It would also be nice if there was an autoloot button, like hit space to automatically grab a potion. This would make looting while in combat much faster and easier.

This game is good for some fast, quick diablo-style fun. With frequent tweaks and updates, I could see this staying popular for a while.

-SirNiko
Meow
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: January 14, 2010, 01:10:51 PM »

Thanks for /who command~

I have 47 attack, 18 defence and 70 speed now ^^. As a heads up, greater rings of speed seem more effective at increasing damage than greater rings of attack.

Also: DARK AREA SOUTH WEST IS MINEEEE. Stop exterminating everything so they stop spawning there ;_;
Craig Stern
Level 10

I'm not actually all that stern.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #116 on: January 14, 2010, 02:10:08 PM »

Hey man, I just saw this on RPS. Congrats!

• Music: Craig Stern

Yay! Tears of Joy

Meow
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: January 14, 2010, 04:04:09 PM »

SirNiko, go south east and you'll find lots of big horrible monsters who repeatedly drop stat potions, greater rings and the best types of equipment~
Kloi
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: January 14, 2010, 05:03:03 PM »

ZarroTsu: I think I can explain that.
The name of my character is also Loki; if I had to guess I was playing first and have control of that name. (It's possible there's something else going on, but that seems like too much of a coincidence.)

And yes, this game is amazing.
Meow
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: January 14, 2010, 06:44:33 PM »

If you have trouble finding Oryx fast enough: respawn once he's arrived (careful not to lose your recently acquired items) and go south along the coast and he should be closeby.

EDIT: Bug report: If you give someone an item then refresh soon after you come back with the item, allowing you to make unlimited duplicates since it doesn't save often enough. If someone did this with stat potions I can imagine it could break the game pretty quickly.

EDIT2: And before you ask, that isn't how I got my speed Tongue. That would be killing endless numbers of gods.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2010, 06:53:26 PM by Meow » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic