Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411505 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 08:14:11 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsAssemblee: Part 2Realm of the Mad God [Flash MMO Finished]
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10
Print
Author Topic: Realm of the Mad God [Flash MMO Finished]  (Read 191749 times)
Bleaker
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: January 17, 2010, 02:25:01 PM »

Is there a page explaining the various classes in a little detail? I'm rather guessing when it gets to gauging my strengths right now  Shocked
Lon
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: January 17, 2010, 03:35:27 PM »

I like the idea of having two control styles, but in order for the all-strafe one to really work well, I think the character needs to be centred on-screen.

Other than that, this game is pretty fun. I have a feeling I'll be playing it a lot~

Maybe more exploration, things to do, places to go. That would be nice.
More rogue like elements too?
Emboldened for extra emphasis.  I agree, having the player centered on screen would help a TON when using all-strafe mode.  Would help prevent collisions with Medusa. XP

More things to do would be sweet!

“We all sorely complain of the shortness of time, and yet have much more than we know what to do with. Our lives are either spent in doing nothing at all, or in doing nothing to the purpose, or in doing nothing that we ought to do..." -Seneca
Meow
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: January 17, 2010, 03:37:40 PM »

The amount you heal over time should increase based on your level or max health, because when you are level 20 with 600+ health 1hp/s or whatever it is now is way too little.

Also: me and meow are trying to get to 75 attack 75 defense and 75 speed through stat potions, we are both archers so we will have tripleshot :D. Right now I'm on attack: 66 defense: 21 speed: 63. Archers have so little defense Sad

Edit: Ok now I have ATT: 75 DEF: 31 SPD: 73 and four spare attack potions to give to meow when he logs on :D
And a guy called Lorazon is a dirty cheater, he got to 75 75 75 by duping the potions.

Meow, uni internet won't let me on, give the potions to someone else if you haven't already. Thanks anyway~

Bye everyone~
Curseman
« Reply #143 on: January 17, 2010, 05:45:11 PM »

I like the idea of having two control styles, but in order for the all-strafe one to really work well, I think the character needs to be centred on-screen.

Yeah, I agree with this, but I think the screen size should be widened by a few tiles as well.

To me this game feels like a pseudo shoot em up rpg.  I think it'd be cool to move it a bit further in the shoot em up direction, adding enemies with larger/more complicated shot patterns.
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: January 17, 2010, 05:47:32 PM »

Yeah, I agree with this, but I think the screen size should be widened by a few tiles as well.

To me this game feels like a pseudo shoot em up rpg.  I think it'd be cool to move it a bit further in the shoot em up direction, adding enemies with larger/more complicated shot patterns.

This. I think that could also help with the problem that regular enemies are absurdly weak, and bosses are absurdly strong.
SkyBox
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: January 18, 2010, 01:48:00 PM »

I played for a while but I couldn't find any enemies other than those boring cubes. Where's a town or something? Or a dungeon? Something interesting to walk toward and do when I first start?
temerit
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: January 18, 2010, 04:51:10 PM »

Nicely done.  I'm not certain in what direction or capacity you are considering extending the game, although its current form is impressive for the time put into it, and regardless of my following comments, there's something rather positive to be said for simplicity.  Nevertheless, I gotta have my say.

Bugs first -- stats.  Right now, with the way the statistic cap is implemented, character stats are unstable.  Equipping, then un-equipping rings or armor that push a stat over the cap will result in the base stat being decreased.  Right now, this is a non-issue, as stats beyond 50 are adequate for all game challenges, but if the game expands so that higher statistics are needed, this may become a point of contention -- better to remedy it before the problem becomes ingrained.  For my money, the base stats ought to be capped absolutely (perhaps even lower than they are now), then item bonuses should add their usual finite amount on top of that, so that there remains a real difference between a stat-maxed dragonscale-and-mithril-wearing knight and a stat-maxed leather-wearing rogue.

Terrain Bug.  Also, there is a terrain bug along the eastern side of the map; whatever engine you are using to render the game is picking up height data along that side and is creating a 3d cliff over there.  If, for instance, the engine is using the alpha channel of a PNG to determine altitude, then it is simply a matter of the image picking up some unwanted transparency on one side.  Low-priority, but if it's as easy a fix as I'm imagining, then it's no biggie.  

Spawn-protection.  I'd request a 5-10 second spawn protection system.  Loading times can vary a fair bit, and one Medusa in the wrong spot can currently lead to a whole bunch of dead and annoyed newbies.  The protection could vanish whenever the character started shooting, but that's just icing on the cake.

Audio.  I'll second the request for a global sound-mute button, and add a request for a mild "kill" sound and/or short animation (akin to, say, the old 8-pointed wink-out from Zelda).  I've been caught several times by "dead" monsters that turned out to simply have slipped away due to lag, and an audible confirmation of kill would stop that.

Monsters.  I'll also second the request for more complex monsters.  Monsters that could summon limited numbers of minions, monsters that could teleport to (or summon!?) players, or monsters that drain mana should be very straightforward additions.  Also, monsters that inflict status effects would be groovy.  Gels and slimes might slow or poison players, giants (of various sorts) might "bash" players, stopping their movement while letting them fire and cast, and Medusas and Beholders, I must say, should petrify (stun totally).

More on statistics.  Tweaking the defense stat so that it suffers (more) diminishing returns could also make the game more challenging without necessarily creating lots of one-shot newbie-slaughtering monsters.  At the very least, all the top-tier monsters should be able to scratch someone with max defense.  Also, changing speed so that it doesn't just make the player fire more and more projectiles would be an intelligent move IMO.  Right now, people with high speed (and *cough* gold-bow wielders) are quite capable of lagging their own connections out, especially when they're downloading large amounts of map data quickly (and moving speedily, they will be doing that).  Perhaps a tiered approach would work, where at certain levels speed trades into an effective attack power boost (and an upgraded, maybe larger projectile graphic) and resets at a modestly decreased attack rate.

Minimap.  I'm definitely thinking that being able to "ping" the minimap would be a handy feature ("where are you, again, compared to the three people out east?").  A spam-resistant way to do this would be to have mid-to-low level monsters infrequently drop "flare" items that would temporarily highlight their map dot (and add a mouseover nametag??) for other players.  Something like this would be nice, especially if you ever decide to change/expand the game map.  

Class features.  As for really new material, I suggest that one way to flesh out the class options would be to add a single, well-defined skill for each class -- something simple but useful.  I'm just spitballing, but perhaps rogues could walk through OR fire through trees; knights could block incoming fire from one direction; wizards (not pallies or clerics) could get a (mild) field-damage aoe.  Maybe clerics could heal everyone nearby with their health and mana potions, or could use up a full mana bar to resurrect someone who recently (10-15 seconds ago) died.  Wilder ideas might include letting some characters summon a pet or charm a monster to fight for them, although I have no idea whether monster stats are even remotely balanced for that purpose.  Again, I'm not dictating nor demanding, but I think that this could help with all the classes becoming similar when given high stats.

Playing with fire.  One last idea I heard in-game that tickled me slightly (it was some other high-level guy) was offering an option for players to play as monsters.  This, of course, would be a comparatively large undertaking, but I do see a few ways that it could work.  The simplest one would let the player spawn as a beastie (perhaps after hunting a large number of said beastie), then have them play as normal, with monster-appropriate boosts, new equipment setups, and perhaps a few extra equipment types.  Not all monsters would have to be done at once; in fact, slowly releasing them over time would give people more reason to keep coming back for more.  I do think that the "monster" save data ought to be stored in a second slot separate from the "hero" data if this route is taken; there'd probably be plenty of monsters to choose from in short order.  A more complex form of this would be adding monster players as some sort of new faction.  There would be many, many ways to go about this.  Creating "monster" servers would be one way; these would be populated with mostly "good guy" mobs that the player-monsters would run around killing.  Or, something similar could be done on one server, though managing the "good" and "evil" monster populations would probably be tricky.  Even more complicated would be adding monster-vs-player PVP, but I'll stop elaborating there, because that route really does take a lot more work.  I'll only offer that if such a system were to be considered, that PVP deaths should NOT result in character death, but instead in being pushed back to a distant respawn; there are hardcore PVP outlets out there already, and it really does take a special breed of player to enjoy them.

As I said before, I really don't know what your future plans are, and bugs aside, these are all just freely-offered suggestions -- obviously, I'm not a developer.  The game's a fun offering, and again, its development has already been pretty dramatic.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 07:04:27 PM by temerit » Logged
Wild Shadow
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: January 18, 2010, 11:13:42 PM »

Hi folks!  We have posted build 71 of Realm of the Mad God, which you can play at our new url:

Changes in 71:
  • 'N' key toggles all sound ('M' toggles music only)
  • Drop objects on the ground by dragging them to the map
  • Empty bags disappear
  • Fix bug when two items put in bag at same time
  • Mummies and Ghosts inhabit mid level temples; Demons in high level temples
  • Enemies (mostly mountain-dwelling gods) have more variation in their shooting patterns

Thanks for playing!

Rob & Alex, Wild Shadow Studios

Wild Shadow Studios -- wildshadow.com
John Doe
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: January 19, 2010, 04:09:19 AM »

The latest update is a huge improvement.
But the more important part is:
Entirely without duping stuff :D

You better not add a new class...
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: January 19, 2010, 05:34:58 AM »

How the hell do you guys play this game?

Whenever I start playing, I get killed within a few seconds by a monster that I didn't even see, or when I do see them they run around way too fast for me to have any chance of aiming at them.

Is there something I'm doing wrong?

ZarroTsu
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: January 19, 2010, 06:49:47 AM »

How the hell do you guys play this game?

Whenever I start playing, I get killed within a few seconds by a monster that I didn't even see, or when I do see them they run around way too fast for me to have any chance of aiming at them.

Is there something I'm doing wrong?

No, the monsters are just assholes. wait about 5 minutes and join the game again; if you spawn on the north-western area of the map (mash "-" until you see the outline of the minimap), you're generally in a safer place to begin. Other locations are more hazardous, and some noob will likely lure a god-monster to the start-point only to die anyway, resulting in said monster sticking around and slaughtering innocents.
whinub
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: January 19, 2010, 02:41:52 PM »

Hello all! Just wanted to say awesome job with this game I've had a blast leveling to 20 with my first character. Any chances at a form of PvP being incorporated? Not mandatory PvP mind you but perhaps an arena of sorts where players could willingly duke it out for each others items / random drops / fun. Excellent job overall though I must say.
rszrama
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #152 on: January 19, 2010, 03:32:12 PM »

Realm of the Mad God encourages live action role-playing when it comes to PvP. (I usually go for the candlestick in the billiard room.) That could just be me, though...

I game as Scarvye. I blog roguelikes / indie games as a Rogue Wombat
temerit
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: January 19, 2010, 05:08:51 PM »

No, the monsters are just assholes...
...some noob will likely lure a god-monster to the start-point only to die anyway, resulting in said monster sticking around and slaughtering innocents.

Maybe a better idea than some of my others would be to have a "regular" and an "elite" difficulty server.  What's interesting for someone who's played a bit or who is used to top-down shooters might not be the same as what's appropriate for a newcomer. Shrug
Wild Shadow
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: January 19, 2010, 06:05:48 PM »

We just pushed a new server build for Realm of the Mad God.  Play at:

This build should fix the "gods at spawn" problem.  Please let us know what you think, and thank you for playing!

Rob & Alex, Wild Shadow Studios.

PS -- Your characters are saved by domain name, so if you use http://realmofthemadgod.com/ you'll have a different character than if you use http://assemblee.wildshadow.com/.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 07:22:06 PM by Wild Shadow » Logged

Wild Shadow
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: January 19, 2010, 07:25:18 PM »

Hello all! Just wanted to say awesome job with this game I've had a blast leveling to 20 with my first character. Any chances at a form of PvP being incorporated? Not mandatory PvP mind you but perhaps an arena of sorts where players could willingly duke it out for each others items / random drops / fun. Excellent job overall though I must say.

Thanks for the suggestions!  Unfortunately, PvP would require a pretty big overhaul of our system, so we are not planning to support it. Sad

Wild Shadow
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: January 19, 2010, 07:38:29 PM »

Bugs first -- stats.  Right now, with the way the statistic cap is implemented, character stats are unstable.

We were wondering who would be the first to gripe about this.  You win!

Spawn-protection.  I'd request a 5-10 second spawn protection system.  Loading times can vary a fair bit, and one Medusa in the wrong spot can currently lead to a whole bunch of dead and annoyed newbies.

We hope this is fixed now.  Medusas and other gods should stay in the mountains.

Audio.  I'll second the request for a global sound-mute button, and add a request for a mild "kill" sound and/or short animation (akin to, say, the old 8-pointed wink-out from Zelda).

Mute is in; the kill sound is coming.

Monsters.  I'll also second the request for more complex monsters.  Monsters that could summon limited numbers of minions, monsters that could teleport to (or summon!?) players, or monsters that drain mana should be very straightforward additions.  Also, monsters that inflict status effects would be groovy.  Gels and slimes might slow or poison players, giants (of various sorts) might "bash" players, stopping their movement while letting them fire and cast, and Medusas and Beholders, I must say, should petrify (stun totally).

All great ideas.  Thanks!

More on statistics.  Tweaking the defense stat so that it suffers (more) diminishing returns could also make the game more challenging without necessarily creating lots of one-shot newbie-slaughtering monsters.

We are not satisfied with the way defense works now, and we plan to revisit it when we can.

Minimap.  I'm definitely thinking that being able to "ping" the minimap would be a handy feature ("where are you, again, compared to the three people out east?").

Oft-requested, but unfortunately not yet implemented.  We are always interested in fostering co-op play, and this might be a great way to do it.

Class features.  As for really new material, I suggest that one way to flesh out the class options would be to add a single, well-defined skill for each class -- something simple but useful.

These are cool ideas!  Thanks!

Playing with fire.  One last idea I heard in-game that tickled me slightly (it was some other high-level guy) was offering an option for players to play as monsters.

Great idea, but unfortunately outside the current scope of the game.  We have plans for a significant expansion of RotMG (details forthcoming), and if it goes well, we may be able to consider more ambitious features like this one in a future expansion.

Keep the ideas coming!  And thanks for playing.

rszrama
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #157 on: January 19, 2010, 09:04:47 PM »

Do you think you can document the live action player vs. player? That could be a first for a MMORPG... maybe you can sell foam swords in the game's swag store. Wink

But for real ideas, I can't remember if I've mentioned it before in the thread, so I'll risk raising it again... I'd love to see the ruined forts and temples get some real gameplay value.  I can brainstorm around this forever, so I'll limit myself to two ideas.

Perhaps temples and ruins filled with monsters can be "cleared out" for a reward... experience and / or item drops.  In fact, this could become a predictable way for players to go hunting for gear instead of hoping they might find something useful for their class before level 20.  Maybe it can work like Oryx where each set of ruins has some sort of beefed up guardian NPC or even an immobile "monster generator" that is responsible for higher than average NPC spawn rates nearby.  Take it out and earn your reward.  This could encourage greater exploration and knowledge of the world map, too.

Secondly, another idea for encouraging exploration could be the ability to make ruins into homebases.  Clear out or somehow mark a ruined temple or fort as your homebase (perhaps it has to be class specific... wizard, priest, paladin in temples, others in forts) and spawn at that point next time you login to the game.  Maybe even offer stat bonuses based on how difficult it is to capture a new homebase.

I game as Scarvye. I blog roguelikes / indie games as a Rogue Wombat
Wild Shadow
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: January 20, 2010, 07:41:40 PM »

Here are five screenshots I took over the course of about 15 minutes.  About thirteen characters led by Bumbly trekked through the forests to a mountaintop, where we fought gods in a furious hailstorm of bullets and spells and loot drops.

This sequence sums up Realm of the Mad God for me.  Jump in, join a bunch of other people, and fight!  For loot!  And levels!  And fun!  Try it yourself at

Rob of Rob & Alex, Wild Shadow Studios

X3N
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: January 20, 2010, 08:53:58 PM »

Best mmo I've ever played. You have my vote.
Please add more stuff Smiley

destiny is truth pre-op
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic