Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411504 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 05:03:33 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsAssemblee: Part 2Realm of the Mad God [Flash MMO Finished]
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10
Print
Author Topic: Realm of the Mad God [Flash MMO Finished]  (Read 191745 times)
Captain_404
« Reply #160 on: January 21, 2010, 04:38:42 PM »

I'll just leave this here...

SO MANY GODS.
Denvon
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: January 21, 2010, 04:40:35 PM »

Indeed this game was/is great fun! Very neat to get into with friends (and strangers too). Easy to learn, keeps you hooked, and makes you look forward to advancing. Please, please add more content! This can only get better I think.
Perhaps dungeons with randomly generated room layouts? Specific bosses? A light-hearted storyline could be woven in to accent the rest of the game play and allow for more content?

Some more weapon firing animations would be neat. More personalization would make the party experience very unique, and maybe even a party interface itself?

Good job!
Tautrimas
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: January 22, 2010, 01:19:18 AM »

I would like to suggest:
  • Sound when your monster gets killed. At first, it was very frustrating to know due to the lag, whether my opponent dissappeared or got killed.
  • Clearly expressed visuals to show, that you have low health. Maybe add some red tint all over the screen?
  • A wiki with a reference information!
  • I can see some temples or smht when cruising. Maybe you could use these places for some ultra mega hard bosses that only many coop players could defeat. This will force you coop idea to come true more often. Don't forget to warn in advance, that many will die in this area!
Thats about it for now. Good luck!
X3N
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: January 22, 2010, 12:35:18 PM »

How about player corpses? Bloodstains?

destiny is truth pre-op
LordBucket
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: January 22, 2010, 07:18:35 PM »

I'm visiting from the Bay12games forums. We had a blast playing Realm of the Mad God, and apparently so many of us came that Wild Shadow noticed all the linked-from traffic and posted this message on our forums.

He requested feedback...so I'm here to offer it.

Great game. Fun. I like it. I don't want to understate that. I'm here now because I like the game. Good job. Seriously...nicely done.

Now, please forgive me as I offer a critique and some suggestions. I'd love to see the game better, so here are my thoughts on how to make that happen.

1) Get your own forums and wiki. This game could become extremely popular. Start building your own community now instead of relying on TIGsource.

2) There needs to be something unlocked by every class, not just knights and priests. I also recommend changing the Priest+Knight requirement for paladins. Make it one to one for each class. Make paladins slightly less powerful if need be for balance. For example:
 Rogue -->Ninja(Has ability to hide, making nearby monsters lose interest, but cannot attack while hidden)
 Archer-->Hunter(Has a pet that follows along and can absorb attacks from monsters)
 Knight-->Paladin(Knight who can heal)
 Priest-->Huh?
 Mage---->Warlock (Has the summon player ability described below)

You don't need to use the above verbatim. It's simply one possible suggestion off the top of my head that would involve a minimum of coding. If you want to redesign the system completely to make it fantastically more complicated, that would be great too. Ideally every class would be useful, but as the game is now, there's really very little incentive to play anything other than a priest or knight to begin with. The other classes aren't any more useful, and they unlock nothing.

3) I highly recommend you steal some ideas from world of warcraft:
 * Hit point bars visible on players so priests know when to heal
 * A class with a "summon player" ability would be very convenient. The maps are quite large, and it can easily take five minutes of walking to group up with people.

4) The stats system is a a bit simple, and not very clear. Make it more complicated, and document what things do. I don't offer any specific suggestions here because...well, anything you come up with will probably be an improvement.

5) It would be very convenient if a miniap mouseover were added that displayed the names of characters. I want to be able to see where other players are on the map.

5.5) There should be some simple way to identify a players level/class/hp/etc. This is a group game. we need a way to see the status of other players.

6) I'd like to see more features on the map. Abandoned temples, towns, castles, dungeons, anything. No need to make these separate areas and no need to add a z-axis. Features could simply be placed directly on the map. This would add more of a feeling of something to do and somewhere to go. As it is, otehr than the tendancy of northwest vs southeast, there's really very little incentive to go anywhere. You can walk in any arbitrary line and that's as good as anything. I'd like to see parties say "Hey, let's go to the evil shrine!" and group up and go to slay the monsters who live there. While you're doing this, it might be nice to add thematic items and monsters by area. For example, if you're a mage looking for spells, the Lair of the Lurid Librarian is the best place to go. If you're a priest, you're more likely to get your preferred item drops at the Temple of the Tireless Tentacles. Etc.

7) /who should list player class and level

Cool It would be nice if your portal pages had more information. Game version number. Number of players. Player rankings by class and rank. Links to the forums and wiki mentioned in #1 above. Lots of things. Build a community.

I could go on and on...this is a great game and it could totally go places. I'd love to see it expanded and grown into something big.

You guys can do it.

Good luck. Smiley
rszrama
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #165 on: January 22, 2010, 07:33:29 PM »

Excellent ideas, especially adding new uses to the mini-map. Perhaps you could even make mini-map improvements based on character class / items. Maybe you need a special ring equipped or a crystal ball in your inventory to see player names on mouseover, for example.

Anyways, I'd be happy to help get a community site going... that's my bread and butter. Just e-mailed Rob to see if he'd like any help on that front. Wink

Honestly, I've been considering writing a game guide for RoMG anyways... would be much nicer to write it to an official wiki.

I would also add that it would be nice to reserve names via password protection. Maybe that could be a perk of registering in the community site. You could treat non-registered members as the system currently does but protect the names of community members... kind of like IRC. That'd keep the low barrier to entry but allow veteran players to protect their identity and give you the chance to track player stats through the community site. I'd still love to see how many monsters I've killed total. Wink
« Last Edit: January 22, 2010, 07:39:20 PM by rszrama » Logged

I game as Scarvye. I blog roguelikes / indie games as a Rogue Wombat
temerit
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: January 22, 2010, 09:37:06 PM »

Generally, LordBucket's comments are pretty much dead-on, especially on the group-encouragement aspects that I scarcely touched.  I'd quibble on a couple things:

4) The stats system is a a bit simple, and not very clear. Make it more complicated, and document what things do.

Unless the game is slated to radically change, keeping the statistics fairly simple will be a net bonus IMO.  By all means, make improvements (you've already announced an intention to fix DEF), but don't add in pointless complexity (dump stats like Charisma or other concepts that don't apply properly to action games like %toHit) when there's no good reason for the game to have it.  Some effects may also be able to be implemented without resorting to big honking character spreadsheets or even a 6-stat system.  Let's say that you implement a status effect system as in my previous post -- now, player characters can be slowed, poisoned, bashed, or stunned.  Instead of having %slow resist, %bash resist, and %stun resist numbers sitting on a full-screen character page, have items that offer immunity to a single effect.  A Ring of Mass might make the player immune to being bashed; a Mirror Shield might offer a subpar defense bonus, but would let shield-capable characters block the Medusas' and Beholders' stun attacks.  Maybe one particular suit of leather armor would prevent poison.  Potions of immunity might also be nice rare drops, and could double as the intended "cure" for annoying effects. 

Bonus points in my book if the poisoning/stunning monsters are NOT the source for their own countermeasures.  What I mean by this is that Medusas shouldn't drop mirrored shields; the shields should drop from something strong that those nagas would be unwilling to share a dungeon with.  Poison gels shouldn't be toting antidote -- presumably, the carriers of the antidote would be unlikely to be consumed by the gels, and who can say what exposure to the antidote would do to the gel itself?  And so forth.

6) I'd like to see more features on the map. Abandoned temples, towns, castles, dungeons, anything. No need to make these separate areas and no need to add a z-axis.

Z-axis is, indeed, probably an unwanted nuisance, but looking into map linking probably would be a sound investment for the future.  More content, tougher monsters, and new challenges will assuredly be part of the game's future.  Just for example, placing old-school map icons onto the beginning map to transport players to a new area would fit with the retro look-and-feel of the game and provide content balancing, functioning as a gateway feature.  So, outdoors, the monsters only get so tough, and it doesn't matter if someone drags the toughest outdoor monsters over to a newbie spawn area, because 2-3 newbies are still capable of killing them.  Meanwhile, the mean old Medusas (or whatever) can be put into a separately-mapped dungeon that maximizes their strengths -- tunnels and small rooms that hinder circling and adequate amounts of low-hp, high-attack cannon fodder for them to shoot past. 

Multiple-map support would tend to eventually call for a minimap upgrade of some sort; my first suggestion would be to provide a very basic outline map of the outdoor region as the default "fog-of-war" that would be erased as the player traveled.  This map could be as accurate OR inaccurate as desired.  Then, sub-region "preview" maps could either be totally not present (much as they are now), or be relatively inaccurate, hiding shortcuts, bonus/treasure rooms, and the details of boss areas. 
X3N
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: January 22, 2010, 10:00:18 PM »

LordBucket may be a manbaby, but a  Noir one at that. QFT.

destiny is truth pre-op
Edge
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: January 23, 2010, 06:54:14 AM »

Blaze from Bay12 here, and here's my feedback:

1. A way to save and quick-say messages would be nice. So we don't have to stop and type in commands in the middle of combat.

2. I almost rage-quited when I first started playing and got killed multiple times before the screen even loaded up. I've also seen people spawn dangerously close to the southeast part of the map where they would have no chance of surviving. A couple of fixed "safe" spawn points would be dandy, or even a short period of mercy invulnerability.

3. Is there a way to see monster names without dying to them?

4. The chat could do with a bit of change, it's too easy to miss messages when multiple people are online leveling, dying, and chatting.
- Let us be able to toggle level and death messages.
- "Group" members should be able to access a party chat.
- Alternatively, make an "area chat" which can only be heard from a certain distance. I do have occcasions where I would like to converse privately.
- Unfortunately, the more popular anything gets, the more miscreants and ne'er do wells it'll attract. As far as I've seen there is no way to stop trolls and griefers from spamming the chat to a point where no one can use it. I'll abide the swearing and occasional bit of racism, but I am hoping there is some way to prevent things from getting out of hand.

5. It'd be nice if the character were perfectly centered onto the screen, or the screen could be fixed at a certain camera point.

6. Could we tone down the sword attack sound a bit?

7. Finding proper equipment is hit and miss. I always seem to find items that aren't usable by my class. Is this an intentional measure to force player interaction?

8. It might be a bug, but turning off sounds with "n" also turns off music.

9. A bit of a personal gripe, but is there any chance of getting a bigger inventory? And a "click-to-pickup" measure would be nice, the drag n'drop method takes a possibly fatal amount of time.

10. Some customization would be awesome, it's hard to "follow the leader" when we all look exactly the same.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 07:40:43 AM by Edge » Logged
Cesque
« Reply #169 on: January 23, 2010, 08:26:33 AM »

I'll keep my comments short: Viewing names on the minimap would be a pretty good patch.
ScaredPanda
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: January 23, 2010, 09:24:56 AM »

I don't like the idea of having status effects. They're too complicated and annoying when you only have eight inventory slots. I would be perfectly fine if some shots had special effects (like knock-back or such) but anything ongoing would just be annoying, especially since you end up fighting every type of god at once nowadays. With how things are set up now, it would be impossible not to get hit by status effects.

I like the game's music and I like hearing the item bell, but I don't like the fact that my sword sounds like a buzzsaw once I hit high speeds.

The density of gods in their area is far too high, as others have mentioned. There shouldn't be twelve gods on the screen at once.

It would be nice if you could tag your allies so that there is an arrow pointing to them or a different color on the minimap would be nice.
Simea
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: January 23, 2010, 02:38:55 PM »

As a healer it's hard to tell if your allies are low on HP until they are a tombstone. It would be cool if characters turned a red tint when under 20% HP.   Embarrassed
Wild Shadow
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: January 23, 2010, 06:11:19 PM »

Thanks everyone, for the extremely insightful comments, suggestions and gripes.

We are currently working on a substantial expansion for the game.  I can't say a lot yet, but it will involve additional maps.  We're not sure how long it will take to build, but we want to roll it out within a few weeks.

We are working on forums and maybe a wiki.  Rszrama has very kindly offered to help us in setting these things up.

Unfortunately I can't respond to all the great ideas in your posts, but many are going on the todo list.  We plan to continue pushing new versions with small fixes and enhancements even as we are working on our larger expansion.

As always, THANK YOU for playing.  Your feedback is what drives development of RotMG.

Rob & Alex, Wild Shadow Studios

Wild Shadow Studios -- wildshadow.com
Geeze
Level 5

Totally.

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: January 24, 2010, 02:09:34 AM »

Just what i got in my mind,
Somekind of a Town/Outpost system would be nice. They would work as non-hostile areas, a place to trade and chat, teleports to them, spawn points and of cource shops.

But there's a trick. Outposts have to be 'conquered' before they work as bases. Like killing every enemy and/or area boss. But to not make it too easy, our beloved mad king Oryx wants those bases too.
There could sometimes be massive hordes attacking outposts(of course with some kind of announcement) and if players fail defensing their outpost/base/etc. it will be abandoned again and changed as hostile area.

Zolyx
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #174 on: January 24, 2010, 12:16:12 PM »

Thanks everyone, for the extremely insightful comments, suggestions and gripes.

We are currently working on a substantial expansion for the game...

Yay! Awesome to the power of spiffy!

Mostly harmless indie gamer
Zolyx.co.uk :: The Minecraft Museum
SkyBox
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: January 24, 2010, 12:59:49 PM »

Can you please post a map of the world? I've never found any interesting locations, just an endless coastline so far.
rszrama
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #176 on: January 24, 2010, 09:32:19 PM »

It's in this thread on page 6.

I game as Scarvye. I blog roguelikes / indie games as a Rogue Wombat
Wild Shadow
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: January 25, 2010, 09:40:39 AM »

Hi folks!  Last night we pushed Build 72 of Realm of the Mad God, which you can play at:

The changes are pretty minor:

• Monster death lag is much reduced
  • There is a sound effect and explosion on monster death
  • Priests and wizards can no longer cast each others' spells
  • Performance enhancements and bug fixes

As always THANK YOU for playing!  Keep the comments, suggestions and bug reports coming!

Christopher Fibich
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #178 on: January 26, 2010, 07:14:21 AM »

I would love to see some abilities for the non magic classes, and more spells for the magic classes.  I love the game, keep up the good work!! Smiley

Twitter: @Fib_Pixelmonium
Indie Tower Defense Game: https://www.sugarsnappgames.com/whitevaledefender
Wild Shadow
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: January 26, 2010, 09:15:12 AM »

Hi everyone!  After a massive assist from rszrama, we are proud to present our new community site at

There you will find a message board dedicated to discussion of Realm of the Mad God.  We will continue to monitor and post to this thread, but we're hoping to move most of our in-depth interaction over to the new site.  Please stop by and introduce yourself!

Thanks for your support,

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic