Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411487 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58427 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 11:22:16 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsAssemblee: Part 2Realm of the Mad God [Flash MMO Finished]
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10
Print
Author Topic: Realm of the Mad God [Flash MMO Finished]  (Read 191729 times)
Zolyx
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: January 11, 2010, 02:29:29 AM »

Utterly brilliant :D Love this to bits. Reminds me of lots of things - Transplant for the Amiga, Diablo, Ultima...

My suggestions if you keep going with this past the deadline (please do! This has incredible potential):

* Some way to save your character between play sessions? Death should still be permanent but it's a pain to restart if you lag out...
 * More loot
 * Meanwhile, could you pleeeease change the link to this thread that you've put under the game so that it opens in a new window? Clicking to give feedback and finding it wipes your char is... meh :D
 * Expand the character equipment to allow for more drops - more drops = goooood
 * I can't suggest how, but perhaps add "instanced" underground dungeons that appear randomly on the map? They'd be fairly small with an end boss guarding some item chests; once it's clear the dungeon would despawn...
 * Did I mention more drops?  Cheesy

In any case it's pretty good already so I am happy to just wait and see what happens Smiley

Mostly harmless indie gamer
Zolyx.co.uk :: The Minecraft Museum
Sfiris
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 11, 2010, 04:56:54 AM »

Fantastic game folks!
Sure, not everything is at place at the moment, but still great.
You should really implement the "Save and exit" option, that would be sooo much improving!
Still, thumbs up  Hand Thumbs Up Left
Keep up the good work  Wink
rszrama
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: January 11, 2010, 09:58:03 AM »

Excellent!  We fought off the Mad God Oryx and saw some awesome loot, including the Super Nova spell.  Wink

I love it... favorite entry by far, esp. if you consider the amount of time I've spent playing this last week.  Only bug I have to report at the moment is dead monsters are sticking around on the map somehow... not moving or anything but still appearing to take damage when you hit them.

Two suggestions... showing Oryx on the mini-map somehow would be helpful.  I wanted to get in the action, but the people who were fighting him didn't speak up about where they were.  I had to walk all over the world just to find the group of 2 or 3 that were actually battling him.

Also, once I get past level 3 or so, I stop worrying about taking damage.  Gameplay shifted from dodging large confrontations and grouping up with others to simply charging right into a large group of monsters and laying waste to them.  So, now it's easier for newbies, but it's almost impossible to die after that.  I suppose it could just be that the priest is the strongest character in the game and I should try some of the others, but even still I didn't see many people dieing at all my last game.

I game as Scarvye. I blog roguelikes / indie games as a Rogue Wombat
ZarroTsu
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 11, 2010, 11:59:23 AM »

One of the things I've noticed in the game thus far is the lack of a name filter. I don't mind verbal swearing - that sort of filter is more annoying than good - But I'd appreciate if I saw players think up better names than "Thong", "cock" "BigCock", etc.

Otherwise the game is great. I'd personally appreciate more often drops, as I tend to go long hours in the game without finding anything helpful; resulting in having to run around backward until I find myself in a monster-free clearing. Then again, I do suppose this is simply because of the lack of any in-game currency as of yet, or really any "Town", to which it's hard to say if either such things would help or hurt the game.

As with the addition of the Knight recently; I haven't yet gotten to level 10 since it was introduced; however I certainly hope to see similar unlockable classes in the future, if you can think up new ways to make them act differently.
selfishflesh
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 11, 2010, 12:40:19 PM »

But I'd appreciate if I saw players think up better names than "Thong"...

Sorry, old highschool nickname
Last name is Tong... so, you get the idea.
rszrama
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: January 11, 2010, 01:15:29 PM »

Alrighty, had my best run to date... helped kill of Oryx and ended the game a level 17 cleric with rings of greater defense, magic, and speed, a wand of death, and the major heal spell.  Adding permanent stat increase potions was a nice touch!

One more suggestion would be a kill counter so I could watch how many monsters I knocked off when I quit or died.  Also, being able to commit suicide and leave behind a bag of your equipment would make it easier to pass on gear when quitting.

Now I need to take a break and get some work done. Wink

increpare
« Reply #66 on: January 11, 2010, 01:54:10 PM »

this is hard.
Curseman
« Reply #67 on: January 11, 2010, 08:09:09 PM »

I like this.  I think it could use a bit stronger enemies though, it seems like the only real danger is getting massively swarmed.
Wild Shadow
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 12, 2010, 08:59:27 AM »

Last night we posted build 66 of Realm of the Mad God.  Play at:

New stuff in 66:
  • Oryx the Mad God is massively buffed and moved slightly off the player spawn
  • Character hitpoint regen rate doubled
  • Character level capped at 20
  • Characters drop their (non-starting) inventory in "tombstones" at death
  • Performance improvements
  • Server's player limit bumped up to 30
  • Bug fixes (including unkillable frozen monsters)
  • Many item stats adjusted and balanced

As always thank you SO MUCH for playing.  We love our players!

Rob & Alex, Wild Shadow Studios
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 10:01:07 AM by Wild Shadow » Logged

Wild Shadow Studios -- wildshadow.com
feeblethemighty
Level 1

@feeblethemighty

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 12, 2010, 09:34:42 AM »

I ran around for a good 10 minutes and didn't find a single monster to attack.  There were some other players shooting at things, but i didn't see what they were shooting at.

i make chiptunes, uketunes, games and more!  feeblethemighty.com
ZarroTsu
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 12, 2010, 09:37:52 AM »

Just a heads up; you typed out the link with two colons in the above post, so it doesn't work.

Otherwise, another great update; how long do player graves last? same length as monster drops, or twice as long?
Wild Shadow
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 12, 2010, 10:04:50 AM »

Just a heads up; you typed out the link with two colons in the above post, so it doesn't work.

Otherwise, another great update; how long do player graves last? same length as monster drops, or twice as long?

Whoops!  Fixed.

Player graves last one minute, just like normal monster drops.

In other news, we are aware of the "where are all the monsters?" problem and we are working hard to fix it.  We wanted to experiment with a world where monsters reproduce in organic groups instead of magically respawning WoW-style.  It's clear that we didn't get it completely right on the first try. Smiley

jwaap
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: January 12, 2010, 10:34:56 AM »

This is neat, great sense of adventure!

The lack of enemies and therefor deaths however is rather annoying. I suggest respawning those sometimes or something.

Maybe a way of exchanging maps with people so you can explore the area together?

Great!

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 12, 2010, 10:45:48 AM »

In other news, we are aware of the "where are all the monsters?" problem and we are working hard to fix it.  We wanted to experiment with a world where monsters reproduce in organic groups instead of magically respawning WoW-style.  It's clear that we didn't get it completely right on the first try. Smiley

The problem with that is that with the average gamer killing everything on sight, I do'nt think there are any monsters left to reproduce.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Wild Shadow
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 12, 2010, 11:41:54 AM »

The problem with that is that with the average gamer killing everything on sight, I do'nt think there are any monsters left to reproduce.

There are actually plenty of monsters -- 30,000 of them.  They are hidden away in the far corners of the map or on inaccessible islands.  But they are extinct near the spawn points.  Sad

This is our #1 priority at the moment.

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: January 12, 2010, 11:50:39 AM »

Interesting. Perhaps you could attract the monters to spawn points. Maybe spawn points have items of interest to them, like food or treasure. You could also have something like a mating season where the population booms considerably, and makes it more dangerous for players to explore.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
rszrama
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: January 12, 2010, 11:53:24 AM »

Maybe the monsters could come on boats which I then use to raid their islands and kill them off there, too.  Wink

snellface
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 12, 2010, 12:15:34 PM »

so... much... ownage :O
Sudz
TIGBaby

I love Garuru

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 12, 2010, 12:43:47 PM »

I guess the entire "monster spawning in groups" kinda explains the great blanks we can sometimes get, and then big swarms in far off places that makes soloing next to impossible.  Then again, I'm used to using Priest, and I die fast.

Playing around long enough to help kill the new Oryx once was worth it - good god it's fun and addictive!

Somethings I thought of that might be nice (though I don't know how feasible it is):

A coordinate/location system: I've played long enough to notice that it's virtually impossible to describe to others where you are - something that people want to know when they want to trade/party/kill Oryx.  Just even a x/y coordinate system based on the tiles which could be toggled or asked for would be nice.

Option to turn off system chat: Kinda glad that the player limit is low - I'd be tired of knowing who died, who leveled, and who came on if the limit was high.

A way to block chat from specific players: Very glad that this is such a nice community.  I think this would have been suggested a long time ago if we had trolls/spammers.

A way to whisper to specific players: This is not such a big suggestion - just another floating idea that I had while thinking of blocking chat.

Keep up the good work!  It'll be nice to see how this evolves.

Moo...
ZarroTsu
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 12, 2010, 01:09:46 PM »

Q: Are there any plans for player teleport tiles, and/or "Dungeons"? (Ala Dragon Warrior) Maybe any such idea could use "Torch" items to widen the light radius around the player. (Otherwise you're almost blind) [If you can't/don't wish to make additional maps, you could set up dungeons off far across the oceans where mini-maps won't conflict]
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic