Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 03:11:16 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignMusic Game Ideas, Those You Hope Someone Will Create , & Those You've Enjoyed
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Music Game Ideas, Those You Hope Someone Will Create , & Those You've Enjoyed  (Read 3631 times)
ithamore
TIGSource Editor
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« on: January 25, 2008, 10:26:49 AM »

I've been trying to find a contemporary game that is effected by the music selected by the player (any music the player wants to use instead of a mere multiple choice design based upon predetermined songs) while letting the player listen to the selected music. However, it seems there are few of them. The first of such games I ever played was Vib Ribbon, which was quite simplistic. Audiosurf is a good, current step up from it, but I want a game in which the music effects the gameplay even more.

Most music games seem to be programmed to be either synced (choreographed) to their songs or to be designed around creating music from the players interaction. Those that actually use the music as a variable in rendering of the game tend to focus on 4 to 6 elements of the songs at best.

Some methods I've thought of to incorporate music into games is to add music as a dynamic to level design and pace, enemy behavior, and/or gameplay.

A couple of ideas:

1. An AVS-like game in which the music shapes the terrain, which allows one to either explore the sound-scape of the song or to discover how the music can change the layout and challenges of a level.

2. A shmp in which each note is analyzed as a variable that effects the behavior or movement of the enemy associated to it. The notes of the music could even be used to determine generation points or number of enemies.

Please feel free to discuss anything you want about music games in this thread. Be it how much you want them to evolve, music game ideas you've had, styles you would like to play that aren't yet available, music games you've enjoyed (or your favorites), and/or what are your dislikes about the nascent genre.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2008, 06:22:26 AM by ithamore » Logged

Please help TimW, a longtime promoter of indie gaming everywhere and an old friend of TIGSource, to write about indie games full-time.
Ivan
Owl Country
Level 10

alright, let's see what we can see

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2008, 10:50:41 AM »

Vib Ribbon.

Win for life.

http://polycode.org/ - Free, cross-platform, open-source engine.
skaldicpoet9
Level 10

"The length of my life was fated long ago "

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2008, 01:43:42 PM »

Most music games seem to be programmed to be either synced (choreographed) to their songs or to be designed around creating music from the players interaction.

This is what I really loathe about Guitar Hero. It just seems like I am pressing keys just to hear the music rather then creating the music itself, I don't feel like I am really interacting with the game.

An AVS-like game in which the music shapes the terrain, which allows one to either explore the sound-scape of the song or to discover how the music can change the layout and challenges of a level.

This would actually be a really awesome concept in an RPG-type of game. Instead of exploring the world trying to find the next dungeon or piece of the story you shape the world by learning various pieces of music and then composing those melodies to bring the next dungeon literally to life. You could also bring in the whole "moral choice" dilemma by allowing the player to choose between "light" or "dark" melodies that would effect the world in different ways, i.e. you could change the landscape  with a "light" melody that would disrupt the current "dark" melody has been cast over the land (the land being dark, foreboding with jagged cliffs and windswept lifeless landscapes) and would change the land into an idyllic, peaceful, colorful landscape. I guess this would sort of be like the idea behind using the celestial brush in Okami to disperse the black areas from the landscape.

\\\\\\\"Fearlessness is better than a faint heart for any man who puts his nose out of doors. The date of my death and length of my life were fated long ago.\\\\\\\"
ithamore
TIGSource Editor
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2008, 08:36:01 AM »

toastie:

Vib Ribbon is my favorite music game for awarding and punishing players for how well they synchronize button presses despite the wide variety of input devises these sort of games often require. Furthermore, its gameplay isn't merely programmed to match the beats and melodies; it's designed to interact with an analysis of the song being played. The variety of levels is only limited to one's music collection.

skaldicpoet9:

Your point with Guitar Hero is a good one. I prefer how Rez (which I prefer immensely more than Guitar Hero, especially since it has much more gameplay than mere timing and coordination) lets me hear more of the music by playing well than Guitar Hero. However, other than the use of real-time music unlocks, they really are quite different games.

Your RPG suggestion is intriguing. How would you use the music pieces to construct the dungeons? The best I can think of is to have a specific number or range of pieces that can be used to alter the layout, length, difficulty, music, etc. of the dungeon. Requiring a specific sequence to open a particular dungeon would only be a variation of having to collect object x to get into area B, so such a simplistic implementation should be avoided. Maybe, a dungeon generated through variations should have more than one route to reach (or exceed) its goal.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2008, 06:23:15 AM by ithamore » Logged

Please help TimW, a longtime promoter of indie gaming everywhere and an old friend of TIGSource, to write about indie games full-time.
skaldicpoet9
Level 10

"The length of my life was fated long ago "

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2008, 12:07:32 PM »

Your RPG suggestion is intriguing. How would you use the music pieces to construct the dungeons?

Hmm, I would say that...

for example you have a note say C# and when that is combined with B♭ then that combination would trigger a (simple to complex progressively throughout the game) dungeon to be randomly created. You could apply certain attributes to each of the notes such as C# could have X of these types of creatures, artifacts, quests (or as you suggested layout, length, difficulty, music) which would be inherent to C# and B♭ could have Y types of the same elements or completely different elements. When the two were combined you would thus get elements of the two contained in the new dungeon.

Requiring a specific sequence to open a particular dungeon would only be a variation of having to collect object x to get into area B, so such a simplistic implementation should be avoided. Maybe, a dungeon generated through variations should have more than one route to reach (or exceed) its goal.

Exactly, making it as basic as just collecting notes and combining them in simple patterns is not enough variation to truly make something enjoyable. I would say that depending upon the notes that you use it would effect the outcome in different ways. Say that while navigating the dungeon you encounter some sort of obstacle, like a dead end, now instead of merely spoon feeding the player one piece of music to be played to get past this obstacle the player would have to figure out the best way to use the notes that are available to them. So, for example, one sequence of notes might construct a stairway that leads to an underwater reservoir that the player could use to wade to the next level of the dungeon or another sequence could
create a tremor which would take the wall (and surrounding rooms) out forcefully. The player would then have to create the best strategy that is within the resources they have available at that time.

Man, I seriously need to start practicing coding more lol...
« Last Edit: February 04, 2008, 02:47:42 PM by skaldicpoet9 » Logged

\\\\\\\"Fearlessness is better than a faint heart for any man who puts his nose out of doors. The date of my death and length of my life were fated long ago.\\\\\\\"
Greater Beast
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2008, 10:57:53 PM »

Vib Ribbon.

Win for life.

Toastie!  I remember wanting vib-ribbon SO BAD in 1999 but I could never find it.  Eventually I completely forgot about its existence.  And now after 8 years you bring it racing back into my memory.  I'm going to go scour ebay immediately! 
ravuya
Level 7

Yip yip yip yip yip

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2008, 11:18:54 PM »

There's a rumour it's going to get brought back on PSN, but I wouldn't get my hopes up.

studio13
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2008, 08:38:18 AM »

Please feel free to discuss anything you want about music games in this thread. Be it how much you want them to evolve, music game ideas you've had, styles you would like to play that aren't yet available, music games you've enjoyed (or your favorites), and/or what are your dislikes about the pre-genre.

I love music and rhythm based gamplay ideas and spent most of 2007 learning about small scale independent game production and ready made tools like Unity, Torque, Flash, MaxMsp and PD. After all this reading, attending conferences, listening to various GDC mp3's about production I am still determined to build small music game prototypes in 2008. These prototypes will be created to test out the severely complicated dynamic / adaptive music system that is required to for the following game ideas ......  If anyone's interested in design and prototyping, I could really use the help. I am so new to game design is isn't funny. The prototypes would be great to do in Flash + Max/MSP. My background is in audio & music production.  I have all the resources and experience required to provide original audio and music content for these projects

MiniTunes
Introduction
MiniTunes is a music game played in any web browser using Flash to deliver a quick to learn easy to pick up and play casual game experience. Using 2D cartoon art styles and a clean uncomplicated look MIniTunes is designed to have mass appeal. Unique gameplay provides players an easy to use interface to play with music.
Description
• Choose from a selection of 6 cheerful characters and 6 musical levels.
• The level begins, as you listen and get a feel for the rhythm, start tapping along and your character begins to react.
• Your character happily dances through the level as you tap along with the music, scoring points and collecting power-ups.
• Use your power ups to overcome each levels unique musical challenge and unlock solo sections to express your own musical style.
• Does not rely on scrolling visual cues in the style of Dance Dance Revolution, Frequency, Guitar Hero or Rock Band.
• Visually a simple 2D cartoon art and music toy with a static "camera" position
• Characters wiggling around in place on the screen as if dancing through each level.
• Forced perspective as if on tiny planet, backgrounds scroll as if on a hamster wheel.
• Background characters and environments change to support the action
• Uncomplicated design, simple art style and clean look
• Levels are based on progress through each song rather than a large 2D map.

BreakBeats
Introduction
BreakBeats is a fast paced 2-player beat matching kung-fu action game. Game play features lightning quick musical combo’s and 2D character animations. This mid sized development features a more advanced control scheme and higher complexity of animations and music. Unique gameplay provides players an easy to use interface to play with music.
Description
• Choose from a selection of 12 warrior characters, each with a unique combat and "Sound Set" style.
• Levels set to a fixed tempo, players string together rhythmic combos "in time" to defeat their opponent.
• Each component of a players attack is accompanied by a single beat and sample from their "sound set"
• Other than a fixed tempo players are left to freely improvise attack combinations
• Players generate a unique musical response to every round of fighting.
• Small 2D maps put the focus on musical combat over exploration.
• Requires a large number of animations

Here's me trying out some very simple interactions for the BreakBeats design idea. Done with software samplers and sequencers. The ideas have progressed quite a bit since this was posted. LINK >>

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic