Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 04:37:36 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsPylo Noveau - new demo time
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Pylo Noveau - new demo time  (Read 8704 times)
omnilith
Level 2

View Profile
« on: January 06, 2010, 05:54:20 PM »

Pylo Noveau
Developed by Grit (programming, level design, boss design, spriting) and Omnilith (spriting, other graphics, level design and boss design advisor)
Ace music wizard Mir@k will be composing original songs for future releases.
Current version: .25 DOWNLOAD

Hiii Tiger Saucerers! <3

Pylo Noveau is a platform/action game developed by Grit and myself. Since TIGSource is awesome and filled with awesome people who know their stuff, we decided to make a devthread here to get some quality feedback. World 2 of the game is currently under development, but feedback will still be helpful for world 1, since we're always willing to go back and make changes.

In this game you play as a little, overly cute dragon named Pylo. Like most dragons, he can breathe fire. His fire breath starts out pitiful, but as you progress through each stage it can be powered up using big red crystals, allowing Pylo to engage his foes with stronger and stronger shots. Furthermore, smaller gems can be collected and cashed in to pull off special moves. You can check what each of the special moves does by pausing the game with enter, then selecting the "Abilities" option.

UPDATE: Current demo includes all of World 1, and half of World 2. Download it above if it strikes your fancy~

EXTRA NOTES
The music is all ripped, which isn't too cool but is all we can do. Mir@k will be making some original music for future releases.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 09:56:36 AM by Omnilith » Logged

ChevyRay
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2010, 06:05:06 PM »

Oh god yes, this. You showed me a demo of this awhile back, and I remember really loving it.

Let's get a musician on this, and you guys will be set!
HöllenKobold
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2010, 06:24:09 PM »

I'm glad you finally started a game. I am kinda in love with the game.

Hell pits tend to be disguised as
things that would lead a passerby to
not think of them as portals to
eternal gnashing and wailing.
mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2010, 12:38:30 AM »

Rally fun game!

Three bugs: The brown power doesn't appear to do anything, but I could be mistaken.
Blue doesn't take any crystals to use, so once you get enough to use it, you can spam it forever.
Red powers 2 and 3 don't work.
omnilith
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2010, 10:48:34 AM »

loving
love
<3

Rally fun game!

Three bugs: The brown power doesn't appear to do anything, but I could be mistaken.
Blue doesn't take any crystals to use, so once you get enough to use it, you can spam it forever.
Red powers 2 and 3 don't work.
Ah, yes, I think someone mentioned the blue attack not using crystals before. It'll be ironed out with the next demo, but for now feel free to use it to cheat if you want XP
The yellow crystal power is used to detect secrets in the room you are currently in. If Pylo says an '!' when you use that power, then there is probably a hidden door someplace in that room leading to a secret item. You can also use this power to find the way to a hidden level someplace...
Red powers 2 and 3 aren't implemented yet, but good work finding enough Crimson Fragments to unlock power 3!

AuthenticKaizen
Freeware Ninja
Level 10

*Prestige Worldwide*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2010, 12:02:50 PM »

a polished classic platformer with fine gameplay and great graphics...awesome!
im really looking forward to the further development of this gem
(and of course the full version)

PixelProspector.com - the indie goldmine + Marketing Guide for Indie Game Developers             
“Knowing is not enough, you must apply; willing is not enough, you must do.” (Bruce Lee)
omnilith
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2010, 03:11:31 PM »

Thanks AuthenticKaizen!

Pylo is #4 on IndieGames' best of freeware platformers 2009 list! HUGE amounts of appreciation go out from us to Tim W and all the other folks running IndieGames.com :>

In other awesome news, ace music wizard Mir@k has offered to do some original music for Pylo. So expect some sweet new tracks to show up in a later demo thing!

omnilith
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2010, 08:24:37 AM »

Sorry to double post. I hate doing it as much you hate putting up with it Sad
But! It is ok as long as I have content to bump it with, right? I CHOOSE TO BELIEVE THIS.

Here are some of the boss designs I've done. All of the game's major bosses are these weird lizard guys. All of them have outsized personalities.

Also I just noticed from putting them next to each other that they are in slightly different styles. Dammit.

RARGH

Curseman
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2010, 04:27:40 PM »

This is pretty solid.  Nice work so far!
JaJitsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2010, 11:39:42 PM »

heh love that block. make the band-aid stick out more tho!

Mir@k
Level 1

Pffffffft

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2010, 12:25:09 PM »

I just noticed that what i thought was the downloaded demo was another application. D:
Downloaded it for real this time. And Oomph, i can't wait to see the finished product.  Gentleman

supershigi
Level 7

No Yoshi is an Island

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2010, 03:22:09 AM »

Beautiful colors!  The art is so vibrant, it almost reminded me of something like Super Mario World or Yoshi's Island.   I love the main character, he is adorable.

Laura Shigihara | Composer and Game Designer
Facebook | Youtube | Twitter
omnilith
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2010, 09:57:38 AM »

New update time!
Download version .25 here

This demo includes some extra bug fixes and half of the second world. If you played the game before, your old save data unfortunately won't be compatible with this new version. There's a save file included with the game that at least has world 2 unlocked, though, so hopefully this won't set people back too much.

Here's some screens, since those are fun:

Hopefully people enjoy this! : ]
And if you notice any bugs or things you'd think should be fixed, definitely let me know.

Destral
Level 10

Climbing that mountain...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2010, 12:29:52 PM »

I love the art style and the cuteness of the protagonist and enemies. You have a number of cool things going on there (the logs, the abilities). I only managed to spend a few minutes trying the game out, but I love what I've seen so far. Good work!

Currently working on: Sword Surfer
BrixxieBee
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2010, 02:00:58 PM »

This game is fun. However, the second world is much harder than the first. And, unless the game gets really really hard, you might want to tone down the second world just a little bit. I couldn't get past the area with the secret door where you fight gigaloon. I kept dying before I could get to the next area because of all the soldier guys, fish, balloons, clam guys, and everything else.

Great fun though. I can tell I liked it because even though it was really hard I kept playing it over and over again.
FishyBoy
Level 7

Make like a tree and get the hell out of here

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2010, 05:11:57 PM »

Really fun, but the difficulty curve is insane. Way too much enemy spam in the second level. This is a great start, and it feels like it could become something fantastic.
BrixxieBee
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2010, 05:36:31 PM »

I agree.
mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2010, 05:50:43 PM »

I noticed that in this version, getting all the red crystals doesn't unlock the third power. Also, I assume there isn't a secret in 2-2?

It is a bit hard, but still lots of fun.
HöllenKobold
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2010, 05:58:40 PM »

unf
Now I know how people feel when they get massacred by my games, but I still love it.

Hell pits tend to be disguised as
things that would lead a passerby to
not think of them as portals to
eternal gnashing and wailing.
omnilith
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2010, 06:32:38 PM »

Really fun, but the difficulty curve is insane. Way too much enemy spam in the second level. This is a great start, and it feels like it could become something fantastic.

Hmm... I'm guessing you're referring to the balloons and their love of spawning in inconvenient places. Normally we try to keep the number of enemies on screen to roughly 2 so that the people don't get overwhelmed, but it gets a little trickier with those things. I'll definitely have Grit reduce their spawn speed.

This sorta gets at a larger issue, too- difficulty. The thing is, both Grit and I are oldschool platform fans. We grew up playing lots of difficult games like Mega Man, and nowadays we love beating brutally hard indie games like the Jumper series and IWBTG. As you can probably guess, this makes our tolerance for difficulty pretty high. To be honest, we kinda want Pylo to be really, really hard. We want it to be a challenge even to ourselves, and a challenge to other platform game fanatics. However, I can see why this would be a definite issue for people that aren't as totally insane.

So I guess we want the game to ramp up fairly gradually before it becomes intensely difficult. When the second level is too difficult, we're doing something wrong, heh. So definitely keep the feedback on difficulty coming so that we can help ease the transition.

I noticed that in this version, getting all the red crystals doesn't unlock the third power. Also, I assume there isn't a secret in 2-2?

It is a bit hard, but still lots of fun.

Hmm... I think you need to beat the secret level of world 1 before you can get the power now. If you're having trouble finding it (and I think a lot of people are...), try using the "Earth Link" power in random rooms in world 1. When Pylo says a "!", that means that there is a secret nearby. The way to the secret stage is hidden behind a false floor somewhere (don't be afraid!) Just a warning: the secret stages are set at "World 6" difficulty, so have fun : ]

unf
Now I know how people feel when they get massacred by my games, but I still love it.

Then my job is done >: D

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic