Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 09:54:07 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsPylo Noveau - new demo time
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Pylo Noveau - new demo time  (Read 8702 times)
mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2010, 06:52:33 PM »

It's not that I couldn't find it, it's that I didn't want to have to farm earth crystals. I guess I'll look now though.

EDIT: Beat it.
Couldn't figure out a way through B without taking a hit. The randomly moving blobs from H were annoying too. I actually wrote down a cheat sheet of all the different levels, not that it helped very much. The boss was pretty easy compared to the rest of the level, although I did just gust him a bunch.

EDIT2: AARRGGGGG! WHY ARE GREY CRYSTALS SO RARE!!!!!111!!116

EDIT the third: Although the 'D' button is disabled during boss rush, you can still use abilities through the enter menu.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 08:05:28 PM by mokesmoe‽ » Logged
omnilith
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2010, 08:48:22 PM »

It's not that I couldn't find it, it's that I didn't want to have to farm earth crystals. I guess I'll look now though.

EDIT: Beat it.
Couldn't figure out a way through B without taking a hit. The randomly moving blobs from H were annoying too. I actually wrote down a cheat sheet of all the different levels, not that it helped very much. The boss was pretty easy compared to the rest of the level, although I did just gust him a bunch.
Whoah, congrats! That level even gives me trouble, heh. Area B in particular is evil, as you say.

EDIT2: AARRGGGGG! WHY ARE GREY CRYSTALS SO RARE!!!!!111!!116
>: D

EDIT the third: Although the 'D' button is disabled during boss rush, you can still use abilities through the enter menu.
Ooooh good catch. That'll be fixed for sure.

mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2010, 09:50:32 PM »

I can go though B with only 1 or 2 hits, It's just that I can't see any way of doing it perfectly. A and E are my favorite, even though they are two of the hardest.

Also, shouldn't you have 5 power for the last two 1-4 bosses?
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 09:54:43 PM by mokesmoe‽ » Logged
jwaap
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2010, 01:16:35 AM »

these graphics make me feel very bad about mine >:

BrixxieBee
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2010, 10:39:26 AM »

I think there's just too many guys during world 2. Specifically, too many guys on the ground that knock you into the water. It's not the balloons really, it's all the stuff going on. World two should probably be 2/3rds the difficulty as it is at most, I think.

The game can work either as being really difficult or just difficult enough so that anyone can beat it, but you want the former. So, I suggest hinting at how difficult it will be in the earlier stages with a few more pretty difficult parts and maybe curving it a bit more. Psychologically to the player, the first world is a breeze and it gives the impression that the game will be more of a casual game, and then when you get to world 2 all hell breaks loose without much of a warning.
mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2010, 11:34:26 AM »

I don't think that there is too many enemies in world two. It's just that theres so little ground to stand on that you have to get right up in the face of all the enemies.
Five enemies on flat ground isn't that much. Five enemies on two three tile wide platforms is a lot.
omnilith
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2010, 11:38:50 AM »

I think there's just too many guys during world 2. Specifically, too many guys on the ground that knock you into the water. It's not the balloons really, it's all the stuff going on. World two should probably be 2/3rds the difficulty as it is at most, I think.

So you think a roughly 1/3 reduction of the enemy count would help? That won't be too tough to do. It sounds like you're mostly referring to the stretch of level with the spawning balloon monsters, but I'll see if other parts of the level could stand to lose some enemies as well. Thanks for the help : ]

I'll see if Grit and I can get a small update up tonight so that the people having trouble with 1-2 can move on and enjoy the rest of the levels as well.

I don't think that there is too many enemies in world two. It's just that theres so little ground to stand on that you have to get right up in the face of all the enemies.
Five enemies on flat ground isn't that much. Five enemies on two three tile wide platforms is a lot.

I think James was talking more about level 1-2, but yeah world 2 can be pretty fierce. Any spots in particular that you had trouble with? World 2 is supposed to be tough, but not overly tough quite yet, so if there are any frustrating bits I'll see what I can do to remove them.

mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2010, 11:45:15 AM »

The wizards are pretty hard when they're with other baddies, but I don't mind the difficulty that much.
Also, that explains why he said the world 1 was a walk in the park. (1-1 was easy, but the rest of 1-# wasn't.)

Also, if secrets are already World 6 difficulty, I wonder how difficult 6-? will be.

On second thought, it'll probably be a really easy bonus level just to throw people off.
BrixxieBee
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2010, 02:40:47 PM »

Just to clarify I meant the second or third stage in world 2. I couldn't beat it because it was too frustrating. Specifically, I mean the level where there's the secret door if you dont press the switch that leads to Gigaloon(sp?).

omnilith
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2010, 07:37:49 PM »

Just to clarify I meant the second or third stage in world 2. I couldn't beat it because it was too frustrating. Specifically, I mean the level where there's the secret door if you dont press the switch that leads to Gigaloon(sp?).
Yeah, the level with Gigaloon and the switch-activated bridges is the second level of world 1. The second level of world 2 is a floating cloud temple, and doesn't have any switches.
EDIT: Oh I see, you're viewing the levels as worlds and the segments as levels. I like it! Just gets confusing when we're referring to things differently, heh.

Anyway, some small fixes have been made, which should make that level a bit easier to traverse. Also a change has been made to Area B in level 1-! to make it a bit easier to get through a certain part without sustaining damage. Thanks for all the help so far!

The download location is the same as before: http://www.box.net/shared/666pmjjjte

IMPORTANT
The new save files will still be compatible with this version, but a save file is still included for people who didn't download it before. So if you've already played the new demo, make sure you don't let your computer overwrite your current save files when you download and unzip this file! Otherwise you will be filled with RAGE, and I don't want that!
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 07:42:08 PM by Omnilith » Logged

BrixxieBee
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2010, 08:26:32 AM »

Oohhh. I thought those were the worlds. Cool! So, there's a lot more for me to play than I thought. Sweet. *downloads and unzips*
illisid
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2010, 01:20:16 PM »

Wow this is great! Nostalgia factor is through the roof! I see lots of Kirby, Sonic, Yoshi's Island, Mario RPG and Paper Mario influences in this. Your graphics are adorable and your enemy designs are incredible. I'm still on level 2-1, and I'm putting it down for the time being and will finish it up later.

I love the difficulty you have so far. I'm dying just enough so that I feel like it's hard, and not so much that I feel frustrated. So far you seem to have the perfect balance.

One thing that I felt was off, I kept accidentally walking too far when I was trying to jump off a ledge, I don't know if that's just me overestimating how far I can walk before I fall off though.

Looking forward to more!

EDIT:

So I beat the last 2 levels and I have a few things to say.
With the watermill part on 2-1, occasionally I would not land on the platform and instead just plummet through to my death (or just being hurt). Not to mention that part of the level is incredibly unforgiving.

The next level reminded me a lot of the super nintendo Aladdin, at the genie world  Hand Thumbs Up Right but it had some bugs. Occasionally the wind guys would fade in and then just disappear for a ittle while, and then just pop back in shooting at you I think this happened when you are on top of them while theyre fading in, but I'm not sure. The moving blocks were very picky about crushing me. One block would hurt you while it's opening up, which it's not supposed to. If you are standing just a pixel under the blocks it will crush you, I think if there is a significant amount of space it should push you as in super mario world. And with the boss, it is hard to see his shots against the back ground.

Other than a few punishing jumps, the last 2 levels are very well designed! They look amazing! As with the walking off a cliff thing, I fell off ladders a couple times because I thought I would be able to climb down a little further. Something to keep in mind.

With the level 2 fire spell, I could see its description when I hadn't unlocked it yet. And when I had unlocked it I still couldn't use it.

Keep up the good work! I'll post again when I find all the secrets!
« Last Edit: May 19, 2010, 03:07:01 PM by illisid » Logged
mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2010, 08:27:59 PM »

I'm pretty sure the fire 2 spell just hasn't been made yet.
Have fun with the secret world!

I think it would be neat if collecting red spheres (and other colours) would increase your max gem capacity for that type. Maybe you could lower the starting max to compensate. Would mean you could use more magic later in the game.
omnilith
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2010, 06:10:52 PM »

LOTS O' STUFF
Heh, looks like you totally figured out all this games' influences XP

Thanks for the bug reports and etc. I've noticed that Pylo can fall through the waterwheel platforms sometimes myself, and it's totally annoying. I'll pester Grit about that, and maybe we can change the 2-2 boss' electric shots so they're not bothersome too. I think his electric shots can be impossible to dodge sometimes too, so... yeah. Good luck finding the secrets.

I'm pretty sure the fire 2 spell just hasn't been made yet.
Have fun with the secret world!

I think it would be neat if collecting red spheres (and other colours) would increase your max gem capacity for that type. Maybe you could lower the starting max to compensate. Would mean you could use more magic later in the game.

Ooh, that is a neat idea! I think we may even implement that if that's alright :>

Oh, and we're getting pretty close to releasing the next demo. It will contain the entirety of worlds 1 and 2, have some upgrades and fixes to older stuff, and the game will finally gain plot elements (shock and surprise!) It will likely be the last demo release before we knuckle down and try to finish a final version of this behemoth. Thanks for all the super support so far.

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic