Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: graysonsolis

April 29, 2024, 02:37:19 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperAudioThoughts on audio in shmups
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Thoughts on audio in shmups  (Read 3799 times)
anosou
« on: January 07, 2010, 06:10:42 PM »

So I've noticed that audio generally gets dumbed down to "boom, pow"-sounds and background music in arcade-style shooters. Why is this? There is so much untapped potential! To prove this I decided post a few ideas for more immersive and interactive audio and music in shmups.

• CUES
This is a very simple thing to do but can be used very effectively. The basic idea is to give every enemy an audio cue so you can hear what you're facing. How can you use this then and why would you want to? Well, it's always nice to have an extra indication of what you're facing. This can be beneficial in scenarios where it's hard to make out the enemy. For example many enemies might share a look, an audio cue would help the player separate them or even be the ONLY WAY to separate them, thus giving you an extra gameplay challenge.

In Space Giraffe the player's area of vision is sometimes clouded by pretty colors but the when you're shooting enemies, each enemy has a distinct audio cue. For example you should be wary of "flowers" that grow up and launch at you, by hearing that you're shooting on one you can quickly move out of the way and let it miss you. This way of making enemies make sounds helps a lot and complements the thought of the visuals being part of the difficulty, not always showing everything clearly.

Another way to use it is to warn a player what's up ahead. In arena shooters such as Geometry Wars or similar you could have an audio cue when new enemies are about to spawn. If you combine this with giving each enemy a unique sound, the player can prepare for what's next. This usually rewards the player the most if you don't present it right away but let him/her figure it out. That way it becomes part of learning the game, the patterns if you will, something traditionally fundamental for shmups.

• INTERACTIVE MUSIC
There is always the option to make the music respond to gameplay. This can very from the simplest and most common implementation of changing the music when the player changes the level or reaches a boss. It can also be used in more subtle or significant ways. A concept I explored in Morsel's platformer Kaleidoscope was having music that grew as you progressed in the game, in this case the more items (pigments) you picked up. In a shooter there are many possibilities for how to use music like this.

For example you can have the music get more complex as the player ventures further into a level. This is especially easy and useful in fixed-length games such as Leave Home or Squid Yes! Not So Octopus!. This way you don't have to worry about implementation but can instead write a piece of music the same length as the gameplay session and have it increase in intensity or change character when milestones are reached. No programming skills needed  Durr...?

Another way is to add/remove elements of the music (layers, instruments, whatever) when the player is doing good/bad. In Kaleidoscope I composed the music as a complete track and then exported the different instruments as layers. In this way we could start all the audio files and then fade-in/fade-out layers according to what happened in the game. In shooters you can use stuff like score, multipliers, lives left, power-ups and similar to determine what the music should do. In Leave Home the enemies and similar change depending on your score, the same could be done with music to further explain to the player what's happening behind the scenes. This is a great way to immerse the player even more into the game, something that could be very important in an often narrative-less genre like shmups (see Rez).

• COMBINING THE TWO
This has been done before by games such as Groov and Garden of Coloured Lights and requires a bit more work. It might even become the game's gimmick as with Groov. The main idea here is to make stuff like your shots, enemies dying and all sound effects part of the music. This way you have a "generative" score to your game. This might be hard to compose since you're rather limited when it comes to melodies and chordal structure but with a little imagination you can make good stuff. For example you can always program the game so that all sounds made are changed to another key at a certain time, that way you can write a more varied piece but still keep the same basic concept going. Rez once again admirably does this in the way the player's shots are beat sync'd and used as percussion for the soundtrack.

• SIMPLE TOUCHES FOR BETTER AUDIO
There are many simple things you can do to make the audio in shmups fit better. A rather simple one is to make the shots (if static) be a division of the music's BPM. Similar to what I mentioned Rez doing this could help reduce audio "clutter" and generally make everything click.

Another thing to consider is that shmups are traditionally short and repetitive games. This might be a no-brainer but composing longer more varied tracks with less repetition will greatly help make the game seem less dull. Don't be afraid to change the instrumentation, harmony and melodies more than you're used to as long as it flows well musically.

Finally I just want to encourage trying out new things. Shoot 'em up-music is traditionally high-energy, high-BPM affairs with lots of melodic noodling (japanese) or squeaky synths/chiptunes (western). While this is understandable there's no shame in trying a more ambient, slow paced soundtrack. This might change the mood of the game radically and make for a very zen experience. And hey, you can always use tempo-doubling as an interactive part of the music  Well, hello there!

Thanks for reading! I hope this was somewhat helpful. I'm by no means an expert but I AM a composer by trade and I've played more shmups than you can shake a stick at. If you have anything to add feel free to do so as I've only scratched the surface of what clever things you can do. I tip my hat to you dear reader  Gentleman
chris_b
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2010, 02:22:57 AM »

This musical shmup type of thing is something I've been dabbling with over the last few months. It's a bit of a challenge to get the resulting music to have a nice balance - ie. structured without being too monotonous and varied without being too chaotic.

I think Everyday Shooter does it pretty well, except the music isn't really to my taste - the tunes are OK, but I wish there was more than just guitar sounds.

Have you seen Chime? Not a shooter, but nice use of music:

anosou
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2010, 04:40:13 AM »

This musical shmup type of thing is something I've been dabbling with over the last few months. It's a bit of a challenge to get the resulting music to have a nice balance - ie. structured without being too monotonous and varied without being too chaotic.

I think Everyday Shooter does it pretty well, except the music isn't really to my taste - the tunes are OK, but I wish there was more than just guitar sounds.

Have you seen Chime? Not a shooter, but nice use of music:

Very interesting. Stuff like that works best with Minimalism such as Philip Glass too, I'm a big fan Smiley Thanks for reading!
GregWS
Level 10

a module, repeatable in any direction and rotation

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2010, 10:03:59 PM »

Cool to see someone from OCR on TIGS (I love that site!); you should try and convince more people from there to contribute their musical skills to the indie scene!  Well, hello there!

Hahahaaha, how ironic for this topic to be created today!  I literally spent my lunch break today starting to prototype a music shmup idea I've had (in one form or another) for quite awhile.  It's still at really early stages so a lot can (and probably will!) change; anyway, the current setup is using the numpad to play notes on a scale; enemies are randomly assigned a note, and you've got to use the right note on the right enemy.  You can only shoot on the beat (not bullets; laser that hits immediately, controlled with two other keys), so that takes care of that problem.  And the first level I'm making is actually going to be rather chill and quite easy...difficulty shall ramp accordingly.

But yeah, nice mini-article there, definitely!  Gotta ask though: have you played Everyday Shooter?  I'm assuming yes because you say you've played a lot of shmups, but yeah, if you haven't, go download it immediately because it's the game that got me thinking about how music can be integrated into games in interesting ways.  ...and now Jon Mak (creator of Everyday Shooter) and Shaw-Han Liem (better known as electronic musician I Am Robot and Proud) are making what sounds like a music-integrated platformer.  Gotta say I'm excited for that!  Beer!
GregWS
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2010, 10:06:15 PM »

Oh, and I think this thread is relevant too; using MIDI controllers for input.  Fantastic idea I think, so long as the game you're making is freeware (given that only musicians would likely play it).  Cheesy
http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=10359.0;topicseen
anosou
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2010, 04:51:49 AM »

Cool to see someone from OCR on TIGS (I love that site!); you should try and convince more people from there to contribute their musical skills to the indie scene!  Well, hello there!

Hahahaaha, how ironic for this topic to be created today!  I literally spent my lunch break today starting to prototype a music shmup idea I've had (in one form or another) for quite awhile.  It's still at really early stages so a lot can (and probably will!) change; anyway, the current setup is using the numpad to play notes on a scale; enemies are randomly assigned a note, and you've got to use the right note on the right enemy.  You can only shoot on the beat (not bullets; laser that hits immediately, controlled with two other keys), so that takes care of that problem.  And the first level I'm making is actually going to be rather chill and quite easy...difficulty shall ramp accordingly.

But yeah, nice mini-article there, definitely!  Gotta ask though: have you played Everyday Shooter?  I'm assuming yes because you say you've played a lot of shmups, but yeah, if you haven't, go download it immediately because it's the game that got me thinking about how music can be integrated into games in interesting ways.  ...and now Jon Mak (creator of Everyday Shooter) and Shaw-Han Liem (better known as electronic musician I Am Robot and Proud) are making what sounds like a music-integrated platformer.  Gotta say I'm excited for that!  Beer!

Thanks for the comments man! Your game definitely sounds interesting. I can't really imagine how to make sure the player knows which note is associated with the enemy in a good way. I do like that you can only shoot on the beat, rewards precision.

I have only played Eeveryday Shooter briefly since I do not own a PS3. What I played was interesting though and so were the videos I've seen about it. Nothing that blew my mind but certainly great incorporation of audio!
GregWS
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2010, 11:58:07 AM »

I can't really imagine how to make sure the player knows which note is associated with the enemy in a good way.
Colour coding!  When you shoot a certain note, it flashes a colour, which has to correspond to the colour of the enemy being shot.  Smiley

I have only played Eeveryday Shooter briefly since I do not own a PS3.
It's available on PC and PSP as well!  Grin    (I really wish more people knew that...  Sad)
anosou
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2010, 05:39:29 PM »

I can't really imagine how to make sure the player knows which note is associated with the enemy in a good way.
Colour coding!  When you shoot a certain note, it flashes a colour, which has to correspond to the colour of the enemy being shot.  Smiley

I have only played Eeveryday Shooter briefly since I do not own a PS3.
It's available on PC and PSP as well!  Grin    (I really wish more people knew that...  Sad)

Color coding is always nice but then suddenly music doesn't become the key thing Wink However a combination is good too!

I don't have a PC and I rather not play a shooter like that on PSP. But I will get a PS3 eventually and Everyday Shooter is one of the first titles I'll pick up.
GregWS
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2010, 12:37:19 AM »

I know what you mean about the colour; I'm really going to try and downplay it.  And each level would have it's own colour scheme that would be highly integrated into the level's style itself; hopefully it works.

Well oddly enough I really like it on the PSP.  Jon Mak designed to be played with buttons not analog sticks (he explicitly states that in the credits), so it actually plays quite nicely with the dpad and buttons.  I got it for the PC about a year before the PSP version came out, but I'd never won it on PC.  I really like portable games though, so I ended up getting the PSP version too (never done that before with a game) and won it not too long after.  The only real drawback about that version is the screen size; it is a lot nicer to play it on a larger screen.
anosou
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2010, 07:02:17 AM »

I know what you mean about the colour; I'm really going to try and downplay it.  And each level would have it's own colour scheme that would be highly integrated into the level's style itself; hopefully it works.

Well oddly enough I really like it on the PSP.  Jon Mak designed to be played with buttons not analog sticks (he explicitly states that in the credits), so it actually plays quite nicely with the dpad and buttons.  I got it for the PC about a year before the PSP version came out, but I'd never won it on PC.  I really like portable games though, so I ended up getting the PSP version too (never done that before with a game) and won it not too long after.  The only real drawback about that version is the screen size; it is a lot nicer to play it on a larger screen.

I guess I could always hook it up to the TV I guess. I don't suppose you get the PS3 version if you buy the PSP version?
GregWS
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2010, 06:28:22 PM »

Regrettably no.  Sad
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic