Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 01:24:26 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsAssemblee: Part 2Cowgirl and the Mushroom Men Genocide [FINISHED]
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Cowgirl and the Mushroom Men Genocide [FINISHED]  (Read 5245 times)
porousnapkin
Level 0

View Profile
« on: January 07, 2010, 06:34:39 PM »

[COMPETITION ENTRY]Cowgirl and the Mushroom Men Genocide

[PAST COMPETITION WORK]New Work

Just finished getting this into a postable state! I need a beer.

I tried to make a game that combines aspects of bullet-hell style shooters and platformers. I also ended up severely limited on a time budget, but I'm still pretty proud of the results. At this point, I don't think I have enough time to get in any more features (I had originally hoped to have 3 levels in the game), but I want to fix any bugs found so post 'em if you see 'em. I also intend to work on this game in the future, just not for the competition, so any feedback is appreciated.

Here's the basic README:
Controls:
I suggest using a 360 controller if possible.

360 Controls:   - Left Stick moves
      - Right Stick shoots
      - Y "Shifts"
      - All other buttons jump (I suggest using Right Trigger)

PC Controls:   - Arrow Keys move
      - WASD shoots
      - Space "Shifts"
      - Up Arrow jumps

Gameplay:
Killing opponents scores points and increases your multiplier meter. When the meter fills, your multiplier increases, thus increasing all point gains.

At any point you can shift. This transforms you into a more powerful form, but puts a timer on the game. You can no longer increase your multiplier bar, and when all your multipliers are fully depleted, the game ends. You gain points using a multiplier 1.5x your multiplier when you first shifted.

And here's the credits:

Programming & Design - Will Swannack
Cowgirl & Projectiles - yokomeshi
Tilesets & Mushrooms - MashPotato
Aliens - Emilio
Multiplier Bar - HED
Text - Oddball
UFO & Thud SFX - cheapshot
ALL OTHER SFX - John Nesky
Music - Slide20xl

If any of you AMAZING FANTASTIC ULTRA-COOL artists that I used assets from would like to be credited under a different name, tell me.

My goal is to add a main menu screen with a credits option, so your tigsource account name will be listed unless I'm told otherwise.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 10:45:25 AM by porousnapkin » Logged
chris_b
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2010, 11:43:07 PM »

I was wondering if yokomeshi's cowgirl would make an appearance - I started making a run and gun platformer using her but it doesn't look like it'll get finished.

Your game complained about missing xinput1_3.dll so it wouldn't run for me at first. I grabbed a copy of the .dll from dll-files.com and now it starts fine. (There's a bit of discussion about the issue here: www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=479712, but maybe it's not a common problem anyway.)

Having the game end when the "shift" timer runs out seems a bit much - if it just depleted one of your lives it would be less harsh, but on the other hand it creates an interesting tension when you know you're working towards a definite endgame type of thing.
yokomeshi
Level 0

tonight we're gonna party like it's 1989

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2010, 12:27:59 AM »

game that combines aspects of bullet-hell style shooters and platformers
I apologize, but I think I might have to marry you
porousnapkin
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2010, 05:24:52 PM »

I was wondering if yokomeshi's cowgirl would make an appearance

It was a little too awesome for me to pass up.

I threw that dll into the zipped folder. I think you need to have either installed XInput or have the dll. If it doesn't work for someone, please tell me, and I'll see if I can add an XInput installer in the zip as well.

Quote from: chris_b
Having the game end when the "shift" timer runs out seems a bit much - if it just depleted one of your lives it would be less harsh, but on the other hand it creates an interesting tension when you know you're working towards a definite endgame type of thing.

I like this idea. I think dying would work with the darker appearance of the avatar as well. I'm going to try this tonight or tomorrow and if it feels good I'll upload it.

I apologize, but I think I might have to marry you
Only if you keep making awesome sprites I can use.

EDIT: Had a friend try it and the dll didn't help. I'm adding a DirectX redistributable in. It should work if you have DirectX 9.0c or greater installed (which introduced this whole XInput fandangle).
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 06:04:18 PM by porousnapkin » Logged
porousnapkin
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2010, 10:44:31 AM »

Made a main menu.
I know I missed the deadline, so I'm linking it under the competition link as [PAST COMPETITION WORK]

New download
Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2010, 10:26:32 AM »

Liked: It's a dual-stick arena shooter, and they are always good in my book. The controls worked very well and there was a nice variety of enemies.

Disliked: It took an age to download and install. I don't know what you made this with but it needs burning, burying and the ground sprinkling with holy water. When I came here to write this I noted that there's an updated version, but I'm not going through all that faff again!

Conclusion: A nice entry once the thing is finally ready to run.

porousnapkin
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2010, 07:13:44 AM »

Thanks for the feedback.

I made the engine myself a few months ago, and making this game has similarly made me think I'll probably just trash it and make a new one due to issues you mentioned and others. Also, putting the game on my cheaply hosted website is probably why it took so long to download. I'll try and find a hosting site to get a faster download mirror up. Didn't realize that was an issue, thanks for pointing it out.
Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2010, 07:47:48 AM »

Thanks for the feedback.

I made the engine myself a few months ago, and making this game has similarly made me think I'll probably just trash it and make a new one due to issues you mentioned and others. Also, putting the game on my cheaply hosted website is probably why it took so long to download. I'll try and find a hosting site to get a faster download mirror up. Didn't realize that was an issue, thanks for pointing it out.
Sorry. I didn't mean to be overly negative. I actually enjoyed the game itself, my only gripes were technical.

porousnapkin
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2010, 01:09:34 PM »

Totally understandable, no worries. I thought the game turned out pretty well too! Working on/with that engine gave me headache though and I'll be happy to replace it.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic