Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411519 Posts in 69380 Topics- by 58436 Members - Latest Member: GlitchyPSI

May 01, 2024, 02:15:45 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallParkade!
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Parkade!  (Read 1163 times)
OneGirl
Level 0

One Girl, One Laptop Productions

View Profile WWW
« on: January 08, 2010, 12:12:14 AM »

Hello TigSource!

You folks are always a receptive bunch, so I'd like to announce my latest endeavour on the iPhone & iPod Touch. It's called Parkade, and it's a lightweight sim-style game about designing parking lots. That's the metaphor, but it's secretly a game about particle flow and designing smooth pathways. Anyways, I hope you'll give it a try- feedback is always appreciated.

Trailer and more info can be found at:
http://www.quinndunki.com/parkade

I couldn't manage to embed the YouTube trailer in this post, but you can find it at the above link. Here's a screenshot instead:

The art was done by a fellow TIGSourcer, John Nesky. Big thanks for his help on this one!  Beer!

--
Quinn Dunki
http://www.quinndunki.com
Silly Software That's Sometimes Cool

--
Quinn Dunki
LoTekK
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2010, 01:18:23 AM »

Neat idea with some nice flourishes (like the Theme Park-style emotes for the cars), but this really could have used some more time in the oven. As it stands, it feels way too much like a feature-incomplete alpha than even a demo, let alone a paid game. Granted, a buck is nothing in the grand scheme of things, but I don't typically pay for alphas.

Some notes:
1. The numerical fields on the right of the screen (score, approval, etc) seem to be recognised as text input boxes, which means tapping any of them results in the iPhone keyboard sliding out over half the screen. There also doesn't appear to be any way of getting rid of it, meaning the only way to proceed is to quit the app via the Home button. This of course leads me to...

2. There's no way to restart a level or return to the main menu. Admittedly, this is currently not a huge issue since...

3. There appears to be no way to save your progress, whether manually or automatically. In a game like, say, Canabalt, this is no issue. This, on the other hand, appears to be about progress (doing well means you get more real estate to play with). Not having any sort of save state beyond high score seems like a huge oversight.

interface-wise, it seems decent enough, though I have a suggestion for the second step in choosing a tile (direction). Instead of presenting the 4 directions in a linear list, present them in a cross format (up, down, left, right), so it's much quicker to pick the direction you want.

Slightly expanding the scope, a sandbox-ish sort of mode would be nice, where the player could set the rate of car entries for some madcap silliness, as well as not worry about cash, as well as real estate.

There were some other bits and bobs that came to mind while playing, but having not committed them to paper/textfile, I've kinda forgotten them. I do think this could be lots of fun, but it really needs more oven time, since right now it's a bit half-baked.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 01:22:05 AM by LoTekK » Logged

OneGirl
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2010, 03:32:05 PM »

Hi LoTekK,

Thanks for your great feedback. It's much appreciated! Let me address these in order...

1. The numerical fields on the right of the screen (score, approval, etc) seem to be recognised as text input boxes, which means tapping any of them results in the iPhone keyboard sliding out over half the screen. There also doesn't appear to be any way of getting rid of it, meaning the only way to proceed is to quit the app via the Home button. This of course leads me to...

Yes, that bug has been reported, and a fix is imminent. Not sure how that one slipped through QA.

2. There's no way to restart a level or return to the main menu. Admittedly, this is currently not a huge issue since...

This is pretty typical of iPhone games. They're in the "pick-up-and-play-for-3-minutes" style, so hitting the home button to quit and/or go back to the main menu is pretty standard.

3. There appears to be no way to save your progress, whether manually or automatically. In a game like, say, Canabalt, this is no issue. This, on the other hand, appears to be about progress (doing well means you get more real estate to play with). Not having any sort of save state beyond high score seems like a huge oversight.

Again, this is typical of iPhone games in the vain of Flight Control. One game is generally short enough that saving progress isn't necessary. I appreciate the feedback, though! Saving games is not difficult and could easily make it into future versions.

interface-wise, it seems decent enough, though I have a suggestion for the second step in choosing a tile (direction). Instead of presenting the 4 directions in a linear list, present them in a cross format (up, down, left, right), so it's much quicker to pick the direction you want.

Slightly expanding the scope, a sandbox-ish sort of mode would be nice, where the player could set the rate of car entries for some madcap silliness, as well as not worry about cash, as well as real estate.

There were some other bits and bobs that came to mind while playing, but having not committed them to paper/textfile, I've kinda forgotten them. I do think this could be lots of fun, but it really needs more oven time, since right now it's a bit half-baked.

These are all good ideas, and I'll be sure to consider them in the next update.

Thanks again for your feedback!

--
Quinn Dunki

--
Quinn Dunki
Pages: [1]