Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411281 Posts in 69324 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 06:38:01 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallFlashPunk
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: FlashPunk  (Read 33916 times)
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2010, 08:34:31 AM »

i tend to prefer 'core' documentation over tutorials actually, in game maker as well -- the game maker tutorials were useless compared to just reading through the help manual from the start to the end. and i don't mind if it's out of date, i'd just update it when new versions came out and print it again.

JMickle
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2010, 09:04:14 AM »

i tend to prefer 'core' documentation over tutorials actually, in game maker as well -- the game maker tutorials were useless compared to just reading through the help manual from the start to the end. and i don't mind if it's out of date, i'd just update it when new versions came out and print it again.
Yeah i found the help file a million times more useful than all the tutorials i found for game maker. it was just a case of searching for whatever i wanted. Plus, reading the help file, you can find something by accident and spark some ideas.

print outs is a good idea actually it would make it easier to refer to.

ChevyRay
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2010, 12:36:29 PM »

Yeah, GM's help file has a nice search function and better explanation/examples, though. Mine is mostly just tables filled with short descriptions, but I guess that's still useful. I'll do what I can to get it in a downloadable (and possibly) printable form.
X3N
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2010, 08:08:40 PM »

Congrats!
Looking forward to FMSD, too.

destiny is truth pre-op
Zaphos
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2010, 09:25:37 PM »

It is a bit confusing that the TileMap class does not implement a tile map?  It looks nice overall, though!
Radix
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2010, 02:08:18 AM »

Very noice. I've had a Flixel project that's been languishing at a very early stage for the last couple of months, maybe playing with something new will get me motivated. It usually does.
Craig Stern
Level 10

I'm not actually all that stern.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2010, 08:48:17 AM »

Impressive! I'll have to play around with this at some point. Smiley

StephenM3
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2010, 08:56:26 AM »

Hah!  I was thinking the same as those first few posters:  This makes Flixel work like GML!  I might have to try this...
JMickle
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2010, 10:57:08 AM »

I'm finding flashpunk very easy to work with Smiley managed to port my GM platform physics and level loading stuff to it perfectly.

All this without the docs! imagine what i can do with them! I"LL TAKE OVER THE WORLD AHAHAHA

easynam
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2010, 12:40:55 PM »

This is great! I now have some motivation to actually learn some programming.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 12:44:32 PM by easyname » Logged

falsion
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2010, 01:27:32 PM »

I looked at the game example and I really don't like the splash screen noise. It's way too long and really grating on my ears. It sounds like someone scratching a record with a needle then a bunch of overly loud percussion noises.

I think a good idea would be to change it to something shorter and more start up noise like. Something more like a short fanfare nose. Think of it as getting an item in Zelda or La Mulana. You know, that beautiful, most wonderful type of sound? Basically, something like that.
Lurk
Super Artistic
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2010, 01:49:03 PM »

This might be a dumb question, but is FlashPunk working with AS 2.0? I saw the tutorial was for AS3.
joybite
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2010, 03:43:30 PM »

It's library is written in AS3, so no, it won't work with AS2. If you plan on working with flash games long-term, you should seriously consider switching over to AS3.
Epitaph64
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2010, 04:58:07 PM »

Glad to see it's released. Should hopefully bring more people to making games, which is always a good thing!

ChevyRay
« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2010, 05:49:43 PM »

It is a bit confusing that the TileMap class does not implement a tile map?  It looks nice overall, though!

It did at first, but it turns out that it was faster to render just the whole thing as a bitmap. So the "tilemap" class is actually just a big surface being rendered. What I should do is have the TileMap actually save all the data/positions being rendered to it, so that if you want to remove, move, or alter certain tiles or read the tilemap for information, you'll be able to do that.

Actually, I think that's a no brainer. I'll write that on my to-do list for V1.0.

@Falsion: I realize that the Logo noise is awful. I hadn't actually compared it to other noises when I was working on it, but I've recently realized that it's waaaay too loud and disruptive, so I'll have to tone it down a bit and make the logo a bit more presentable. Regardless, it's a cinch to turn it off for now, or even just present it in your own way if you do want to show one.

@Lurk: Yeah, sorry, AS3 only.

Thanks for all the comments, everybody!
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2010, 08:28:21 AM »

This might be a dumb question, but is FlashPunk working with AS 2.0? I saw the tutorial was for AS3.

AS2 is a massively sllugish clusterfuck. AS3 has a different, more programmer-oriented structure, but even if you don't like that it pays off a lot to learn it. I'm fairly sure nobody uses AS2 to make games anymore, and I doubt anyone has plans on supporting it. Could be wrong though.

Also, flixel does not require that you show the logo. A single line of code is all that's necessary to turn it off completely.

Looking awesome Chevy. I'm sure this will drive Adam to make flixel even better, just for the taste of competition. Which is a good thing. Smiley

FlashPunk vs Flixel

FIGHT

Also, maybe someone should work on a similar framework but for vector-based games? Though I think as far as vector rendering goes AS3's libraries are all you'd need.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
ChevyRay
« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2010, 01:30:55 PM »

Adam already is driving Flixel to be better, if you take a look at the latest updates he's made over the past weeks/months, you'll notice some really cool features added. He doesn't need FlashPunk for that, but if my kiddie little framework does inspire some changes, then that'd be cool enough for me. Smiley

EDIT: thanks for the frontpage, Derek <3
Sallen
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2010, 01:35:11 PM »

Also, maybe someone should work on a similar framework but for vector-based games? Though I think as far as vector rendering goes AS3's libraries are all you'd need.

That would be awesome. But are bitmap and vector graphics incompatible efficiency-wise?
ChevyRay
« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2010, 01:41:27 PM »

Not really. I would'nt really know what to write in such a library were I to do it myself, as the Flash classes themselves seem to cover most things as I'd like, and for anything else there's tonnes of extra support and extended classes available all over the internet.

Pushbutton engine, which is free for the most part, probably does a lot of this, if you guys are interested in a decent, well (no citation for this) supported framework.
Preachieved
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 16, 2010, 01:11:48 AM »

I like the logo, aside from it being too loud. My main problem is learning the differences between AS3 and java. Does the spritemap's flipping work or am I just using it wrong?
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic