Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411474 Posts in 69369 Topics- by 58423 Members - Latest Member: antkind

April 23, 2024, 01:27:12 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperAudioMIDI controller as a game device?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: MIDI controller as a game device?  (Read 26212 times)
Dave Matney
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: January 08, 2010, 09:45:21 AM »

I've been thinking about unique, or at east alternate, game play devices, and I keep coming back to the idea of using my midi keyboard as the interface for a game.  Perhaps something like a side-scrolling space-shooter, like R-Type, where you use the mod wheel to adjust height, the pitch wheel to aim, the sustain pedal as a gas pedal (so not auto-scrolling), and the keys themselves to shoot.

Have any of you tried this, or played games that have? What are your thoughts on this?

"Have we grown so hard we can't feel right or wrong, or have we grown so cold we just don't care?" - Dave Matney
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2010, 10:43:51 AM »

Perhaps something like a side-scrolling space-shooter, like R-Type, where you use the mod wheel to adjust height, the pitch wheel to aim, the sustain pedal as a gas pedal (so not auto-scrolling), and the keys themselves to shoot
Would that add anything to the game though, other than making the controls more tedious? Also, there are plenty of MIDI controllers that aren't keyboards. I'd love to use a Kaoss Pad for controlling games though.
Dave Matney
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2010, 12:11:30 PM »

Perhaps something like a side-scrolling space-shooter, like R-Type, where you use the mod wheel to adjust height, the pitch wheel to aim, the sustain pedal as a gas pedal (so not auto-scrolling), and the keys themselves to shoot
Would that add anything to the game though, other than making the controls more tedious? Also, there are plenty of MIDI controllers that aren't keyboards. I'd love to use a Kaoss Pad for controlling games though.

I don't think it would make it more tedious, just different.  I think you could get a finer amount of control using the wheels, like you do with analogue controls on consoles. 

Obviously, you could (and should) program alternate controls in for people without a midi controller.

And the reason I'd go with a keyboard vs. a kaoss pad or a control surface or something is that the mod, pitch, and sustain controls are universal, where anything else would require a bit of programming on the user's end.

"Have we grown so hard we can't feel right or wrong, or have we grown so cold we just don't care?" - Dave Matney
John Nesky
Level 10

aka shaktool

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2010, 12:28:06 PM »

I haven't used it for a game, but I've had luck getting PortMIDI to work with my MIDI keyboard:

http://portmedia.sourceforge.net/

I'd be curious to see a MIDI game that uses the pitch of the keys meaningfully without being Piano Hero.
Dave Matney
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2010, 12:39:04 PM »

I haven't used it for a game, but I've had luck getting PortMIDI to work with my MIDI keyboard:

http://portmedia.sourceforge.net/

I'd be curious to see a MIDI game that uses the pitch of the keys meaningfully without being Piano Hero.

Though a Piano Hero-style game could be used to teach, taking the game mentality that's really popular and applying it to standard notation.

You could always do something crazy with the musical aspect, like having each key fire a different 'note' of projectile, and have enemies be vulnerable to a certain scale or range... Smiley

~Josiah

Again, taking the educational route, you could have the note the creature is weak to float above their head, or something, in name, notation, or even just a chord symbol.  There seem to be TONS of aspects of this that could go the educational route, but I'm thinking of non-educational.  Hell, even non-musical.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 12:50:04 PM by Dave Matney » Logged

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2010, 03:04:51 PM »

Maybe something related not so much to music, but to acoustics?

For instance "low note" bullets have longer range but do less damage, "high note" bullets on the other hand, have more limited range but do more damage. Something like that.
Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2010, 03:08:55 PM »

http://www.gamesetwatch.com/2010/01/arcadegrade_dj_equipment_midif.php#more

GregWS
Level 10

a module, repeatable in any direction and rotation

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2010, 10:13:32 PM »

Great topic; I've thought a lot about this myself.  Smiley

Obviously, you could (and should) program alternate controls in for people without a midi controller.
I don't think you should program alternate controls at all.  If we're talking about using a new input, then I think we also need to be talking about creating a new game from scratch that's tailored specifically to that input.  If there's one thing to learn from the Wii, it's that games need to be tailored to their input, and that you can't just port a game from one type on input to another and expect it to work in any nice way.  Wink

For me, the idea of a highly musical game that's played with a musical input would be fantastic, and as mentioned, it could be a really great "fun" teaching tool.  (And people love to learn when it's actually fun.)

I mean, yeah, a game that would be played with a midi controller would be pretty niche, and it would probably have to be freeware as a result (given it would just be musicians playing it presumably).  But this is the indie scene, so I think in light of that there's no good reason not to make that hypothetical midi-controlled game.
agj
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2010, 02:50:36 PM »

Hmm, I get behind the idea of a game that's meant to teach you to play the keyboard, or some musical concepts. I have a midi-compatible keyboard that I can barely play, so learning to play it in a fun way would be dandy.

Farbs
Man
Level 10

/Farbs

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2010, 03:07:03 PM »

I screw around with this sort of thing occasionally and it's a whole lot of fun. My experiments have included:

Wii balance board driving the mouse cursor. It's a pretty fun way to drive that little sucker around, especially when the relative weight on the board simply mapped to screen position. Speed and accel based models were less satisfying. I used it to play an old top down shooter prototype by putting the player's aeroplane at the cursor position and adding autofire. So much fun! I'd consider taking it commercial if I weren't so busy. Most amusing part was trying to quickly duck out of the way of incoming fire by stamping down with one foot. You'd inevitably have to stamp down the other foot to regain balance, putting you right back where you were Grin

Steering wheel and pedals to drive a virtual theremin. Totally pointless but fun nonetheless. OOEEOOOEOOOEEEEE.

Gamecube dance mat + Gameboy Player + Tetris. Dancing Tetris is HARD! Donkey Konga worked okay (predictably), WarioWare just kinda felt like WarioWare, but most other games were utterly impossible.
GregWS
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2010, 06:55:38 PM »

Farbs, you're my new hero!  Kiss  I've screwed around with this a bit, but not nearly as much as it sounds like you have.  Balance Board Audiosurf's pretty cool; mapping the cursor position actually sounds a lot better than how I did it though: how do you do that exactly?  Wink
Farbs
Man
Level 10

/Farbs

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2010, 09:43:24 PM »

I just used GlovePIE and the following script (I think... was a while ago):

Code:
Mouse.x = ( Wiimote1.BalanceBoard.RawFrontLeft + Wiimote1.BalanceBoard.RawFrontRight - Wiimote1.BalanceBoard.RawBackLeft - Wiimote1.BalanceBoard.RawBackRight ) * 0.00001 + 0.5
Mouse.y = ( Wiimote1.BalanceBoard.RawFrontLeft + Wiimote1.BalanceBoard.RawBackLeft - Wiimote1.BalanceBoard.RawFrontRight - Wiimote1.BalanceBoard.RawBackRight ) * 0.00001 + 0.5

YMMV.
GregWS
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2010, 06:09:22 PM »

Thanks a bunch man; will try this out later! (I'd been using GlovePIE too, so a good amount of that looks familiar!  Smiley)
anon
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2016, 06:47:03 PM »

I know this is total necro but I created a layout on MIDI Designer for iPad to play EVE Online. Pretty effective too, including manual ship piloting.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic