Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411491 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: graysonsolis

April 29, 2024, 10:18:08 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperAudioStutter/chopping effect
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Stutter/chopping effect  (Read 1353 times)
Paint by Numbers
« on: January 08, 2010, 11:42:30 PM »

Okay, in general, I want to perform an effect used extensively by adukto. He remixes videos by taking samples of the audio and repeating small portions very quickly.

Now that's all well and good. Having looked for a while, I've found lots of VSTs that seem to perform a similar effect (Glitch being most prominent, with its "retrigger" option). For my purposes, though, I'd prefer to be able to avoid VSTs in favor of some sort of general audio editing program.

I thought I would use Audacity for this - simple, right? Just select, copy, paste small fragments. It's not so easy. Audacity lets you select things down to the individual sample, so being precise is just not practical. It does have a snap-to function, which - you would think - would be perfect for this, but no. Its increments only go down to one second, which is far too wide for this sort of thing.

I'd also like this program I am searching for to be free, since I can't pay anything right now.

Now, I am very new to making music and, in general, am not very good at procuring the right software I need for the moment. I apologize in advance if there's actually a very obvious and very famous technique for this, and I just didn't see it. Crazy

If anyone could find something like this for me, it'd be wonderful. Thanks in advance, TIGSource! Kiss
Kekskiller
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2010, 03:18:28 AM »

What you need is a Slicer. It's usually used for beats, but you can use for voice, pads or just normal samples, too. There's a TON of slicers out there, some with more hadnmade accuracy and some with automatic slicing. Problem is, most of them are VSTs. KVRaudio has a lot of'em:

http://www.kvraudio.com/get.php?mode=results&st=adv&soft[]=i&soft[]=e&soft[]=h&soft[]=d&soft[]=w&type[]=33&f[]=vst&win=1&free=1&sf=0&receptor=&de=999999&sort=1&rpp=100

FL Studio also has a build-in slicer, fully functional in the demo but no save functionality. You can also use it to start the VSTs and then export it... It's easy. Just read the help file. You can choose how it slices the audio, etc. But you'll need a properly mastered sound file for it's slicer, otherwise it's not that useful.

I'm also looking for slicers, so maybe I'll post a link or two in here.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic