Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 12:55:08 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsAssemblee: Part 2Dungeons of Fayte: 1-4 Player Co-op RPG/Sim [DEFINITIVE EDITION]
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9
Print
Author Topic: Dungeons of Fayte: 1-4 Player Co-op RPG/Sim [DEFINITIVE EDITION]  (Read 156138 times)
MisterStone
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: February 22, 2010, 09:58:32 AM »

Another quick question- does the summoner benefit from stats such as accuracy or strength when transformed?  I seem to recall seeing the demon/beast form get crits.

I've played with the storm mage a bit and think he looks cool and all, but can't figure out exactly how he works.  Is the main difference that he stuns enemies that are struck by lightning?  In any case, it's a pretty fun class to play with.
Ryavis
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 22, 2010, 10:25:31 AM »

I played a game today. I was a storm mage, my friend was a summoner.

Storm mages are fun, but I think the lightning bolt animation thing should not last as long.

By the final battle I had 120 intelligence, and, well...

By the end of the battle I could barely see what was going on, and I was getting like 1 fps.
pulsemeat
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 22, 2010, 01:08:27 PM »

Wow, yeah, that looks nasty. I fixed it. Tongue

Yeah, lightning stuns enemies, and their projectiles also travel much faster. Also, accuracy helps summoner forms, but strength doesn't.

Anyway, I put up a new version fixing all the stuff you guys mentioned. Thanks tons! I'll work on some new tweaks and features and post here again when a new version goes up.

I did slip in one more thing that has no effect on 2-4 player games, but should make ambushes and bosses a lot more manageable for solo players.
ejfarraro
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 23, 2010, 12:11:10 AM »

I saw your post on Page 6; lest you think no one would notice this thread, I check this thread at least a few times a week for updates Smiley  It's a really great idea.  I haven't found anyone to play multiplayer with yet, but I'm enjoying the hell out of single player.  It's really fun to try all the different classes and it's a full playthrough is pretty quick -- really encourages you to experiment.

One note is that I recently installed Windows 7.  It still runs (unlike the other report) but none of the transparencies work; that is to say, all the sprites show black where they are supposed to be transparent.  Weird, I know.  Probably a video driver thing, I don't really expect you to fix it.  It's still playable, just kind of ugly now.  It used to work fine on Vista.  Let me know if you want me to try anything.

EDIT: I just found out that running it in compatibility mode fixes the issue!
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 12:48:32 AM by ejfarraro » Logged
Del_Duio
Level 2

Supreme Omelettelord

View Profile WWW
« Reply #104 on: February 23, 2010, 06:51:06 AM »

Hey just stopping by to say I saw this game here for the first time yesterday, downloaded it and tried it out.

Wow, this thing's just great man! I was only able to do the single player game but it's just perfect in a lot of ways. I went starting class -> knight -> barbarian -> thief and stayed a thief until the end because that invis / backstab combo is just the best.

Unfortunately the Bone Lord kicked my ass and destroyed the town. It said I was a Meathead which for whatever reason was wicked funny to me at 11:30 last night  Cheesy

Great, great, GREAT game! Is there any way to check your stats while in a dungeon? That was the one thing I kind of wish you could do. (I was playing the clean version if that helps but am in the process of downloading the updated one now).

The whole thing was awesome but I want to give a special shout out to whoever was responsible for the game's writing. It's really funny and pretty diverse.

Guess that's it, I have a new favorite indie to play now. Keep up the good work!

DXF Games: Just a Cleric, Equin- The Lantern, Hasslevania, ODW, Neil Peart- Mission: The Camera Eye and more http://dxfgames.com
Ryavis
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: February 24, 2010, 10:11:38 AM »

Hell yes. Me and Kazerad just beat the bone lord as grunts.
In the end, the day was saved by big beefy muscles and lots of critical hits.

Spoiler: I was canonized as a 'saint of humility' despite having spent most of my stay in town robbing graves.
Del_Duio
Level 2

Supreme Omelettelord

View Profile WWW
« Reply #106 on: February 25, 2010, 07:51:49 AM »

Went the other way last night and did Adept -> Necromancer. Super pumped up my INT but still got jacked by the Bone Lord. I accidentally figured out you could stand on corpses and use them up to 3 times to fire off homing skulls for more damage.

Shit, whatta' cool game man!

DXF Games: Just a Cleric, Equin- The Lantern, Hasslevania, ODW, Neil Peart- Mission: The Camera Eye and more http://dxfgames.com
Dom2D
Level 5

I'll do it myself then!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #107 on: February 25, 2010, 09:22:16 AM »

Finally beat it! I had to force a friend to play through it with me to beat the Bone Lord, but it was worth it to defeat the bastard!
We went Paladin/Necromancer, I just bashed the boss non-stop while my friend abused corpses as much as he could!  Cheesy Super fun times!

What do you guys think about the Summoner? My friend played with it and thought it was kind of weak. What about you?

pulsemeat
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: February 25, 2010, 02:07:35 PM »

I was wondering when someone would try the all-grunt approach. Nice job!

Sadly, there is no way to check stats in a dungeon right now. I'd like to do it, but I haven't been able to think of a good way to do an info sheet like that with only two buttons and in a manner that's not disruptive to other players.
patata
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: February 25, 2010, 02:42:10 PM »

I'd like to do it, but I haven't been able to think of a good way to do an info sheet like that with only two buttons and in a manner that's not disruptive to other players.

It's easy! Just add a pause/menu button that's universal to all players. Example: Enter or Escape keys.
It doesn't matter if it could be "disruptive" to other players. This isn't some fast-paced MMOFPS game. It's an old fashioned hot-seat multiplayer game, if you don't want the game to be paused you just punch your friend in the face and stay playing. Grin
Del_Duio
Level 2

Supreme Omelettelord

View Profile WWW
« Reply #110 on: February 25, 2010, 05:24:47 PM »

I'd like to do it, but I haven't been able to think of a good way to do an info sheet like that with only two buttons and in a manner that's not disruptive to other players.

It's easy! Just add a pause/menu button that's universal to all players. Example: Enter or Escape keys.
It doesn't matter if it could be "disruptive" to other players. This isn't some fast-paced MMOFPS game. It's an old fashioned hot-seat multiplayer game, if you don't want the game to be paused you just punch your friend in the face and stay playing. Grin

This is a great idea. It wouldn't be something you'd need to check all the time and something like "Hey guys, I want to check my STR a sec" and hitting the ESC key (or whatever) that pauses all of them and displays all 4 character sheets & gear would be perfect IMO.

Especially so since you have so many little dungeon events that alter your stats anyhow. Doesn't it make sense that you should be able to check on your stats that have just been raised suddenly?
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 05:27:54 PM by Del_Duio » Logged

ejfarraro
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: February 25, 2010, 09:34:56 PM »

I was wondering when someone would try the all-grunt approach. Nice job!

Sadly, there is no way to check stats in a dungeon right now. I'd like to do it, but I haven't been able to think of a good way to do an info sheet like that with only two buttons and in a manner that's not disruptive to other players.
Any reason you couldn't put the stat info near the portraits/health bars that you have currently?

About the other idea, I don't think it even needs to be a pause.  Maybe have a toggle button for someone to hit.  When you toggle on, it displays stats/items next to your portrait.  Hit it again to toggle off.
Ryavis
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 25, 2010, 10:01:27 PM »

Personally, I think the thing you need most is more maps. That will raise replay value the most, in my opinion.
If you can make a good random generation algorithm for maps it would be nice, but I don't think it's strictly needed.

(Of course, I do support more events also. Those random events in the town part are always hilarious.)
bluddo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 26, 2010, 02:20:40 AM »

I absolutely love this game, I haven't gotten to play with the Storm Mage/Summoner update, but my stepmom and little brother beat the bone lord shortly before. We were Friar, Archer, and Necromancer. It was pretty tense because he was the only one doing any real damage while I just kept trying to heal them both. Once he went down, his mom (the archer) did her best, but also soon fell. It wound up with me going melee healing as fast as I can with everyone waiting to see who would last longer. In the end we won, and I have to say it was an absolute blast.

Rather than more maps, maybe like, an extended quest mode? That would expand on the existing maps, or something that you unlock (along with a new final boss) after beating the bone lord?
Del_Duio
Level 2

Supreme Omelettelord

View Profile WWW
« Reply #114 on: February 26, 2010, 04:47:32 AM »

Rather than more maps, maybe like, an extended quest mode?

Or both!  Big Laff

But if you extend it much more you might need to make some sort of savefile and I don't know if that's what you want to do.

More maps would be a good idea, since the 4 you get to choose from don't change from play to play. There also should be more mystery potions like the Strawberry one in the intro dungeon. Maybe one where if you drink it it hurts you instead.

The only other thing I can think of might be more interaction with your environment. Am I the only one who tried to open up barrels and take swords and keys and stuff you see lying out all around you throughout the game? Maybe have some barrels be searchable but otherwise look exactly like normal barrels. Slap some random events or minor gold bags in those barrels and that'll add a lot too.

How complicated is it to make a dungeon map w/ events? If it's something like a level editor maybe you could release it to the good Tig People here and I guarantee we'll come up with 50 more maps you might be able to incorporate into your game (after you add the random events of course).

Just think about it ok, it might be cool.

Bluhman
Level 0

What is this blasphemy.

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: February 28, 2010, 03:02:01 AM »

Very nice game! Finally managed to solo through it using a Barbarian. That charge is seriously awesome.

I agree with what others have said here; the Summoner seems very weak, even when taking into account the fact that INT increases their damage output (probably because they don't have any actual special ability for any form. They can't really shield like a knight can, for example)

How complicated is it to make a dungeon map w/ events? If it's something like a level editor maybe you could release it to the good Tig People here and I guarantee we'll come up with 50 more maps you might be able to incorporate into your game (after you add the random events of course).

I look at the levels of the game; it doesn't seem like it would be all that hard to make a level yourself if given a level editor. The levels are just maps with enemies and events placed which have effects when you run into them. As a user of various game making engines, I could easily picture a user-friendly creator that could work to make custom levels.

Anyways, I'm silly and like to formulate new things, so I'll edit this post with like a few custom classes.  Shrug

EDIT:

From left to right:

Lancer
An alternative to the Knight and Barbarian, the Lancer is a strong, heavy upfront fighter with a slight bonus to strength and a large bonus to fortitude. He wields spears, which have a massive forward range, but also have a long attack time (and thus rapid jabs cannot be done). Their special is a charged spin attack that easily clears out enemies all around themselves. He doesn't quite have the shear lasting power of a knight, nor the surprising forward strength of a barbarian, but he most certainly makes up with his excellent crowd-control capabilities.

Fencer
Another fighter alternative, the Fencer is the most agile 'fighter' subtype, somewhat similar to the bandit. The fencer requires accuracy and strength to use, and augments these stats. The fencer's special is the counter-attack, which allows the fencer to absorb one incoming attack and return its force in full back at the attacker, deflecting projectiles, and returning melee attacks with a fierce, powerful lunge. The fencers blade swings quickly, and fast movement allows him to easily step out of the way of attacks. He's quick and hard-hitting, but a wrong move can spell doom, since the fencer is not necessarily adjusted well for taking hits.

Illusionist
The Illusionist has a three-fold approach to his style, requiring mainly intellect and strength to properly be used, but also certainly has attributes of stealth to his style. Illusionists use the staff, but are most certainly not afraid to use it to hit. True to his namesake, the Illusionist's special is a charged effect, which has rather powerful effects for each level charged:

Level 0(quick tap): Mirror laser; fires a laser which bounces off a wall at a 45 degree angle, then continues to bounce off other walls at 90 degree angles. Does roughly about 1/4th the damage of a staff swipe, and only 3 lasers can be fired out at once.
Level 1: A single illusion decoy is laid down. Enemies will attack it until it wears off.
Level 2: Illusionary mirror images surround the Illusionist, making him a tempting, but hard-to-hit target.
Level 3: Group hide; instantly hides the entire party. Every member is, thus, capable of backstabbing with this spell.

A powerful and versatile class. Its versatility is obviously limited to how much time is available to him to charge, but that's what his illusions are precisely for; to buy time.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2010, 03:53:09 AM by Bluhman » Logged
ejfarraro
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: February 28, 2010, 12:21:12 PM »

Just finished my first successful playthrough (Necromancer).  There's so much depth to this game that isn't apparent at first, with all the secrets and decisions in the dungeons.  I loved shooting homing skulls, and the custom endings are so awesome as well.
pulsemeat
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: March 01, 2010, 03:54:44 AM »

Man, you should totally be able to smash barrels and chests. Who doesn't love doing that? The stats thing is a good idea too, I'll look into it.

I'm doing something that extends the game between play sessions right now, but after that I really want to focus on a new iteration of the game (in another engine) that will be more expandable. Since that will basically mean rebuilding the game from scratch, I'll be able to take ideas into consideration that would otherwise require me to take everything apart and put it back together (pushing other players, for example).

Also, I'll keep thinking about the Summoner. *grumble grumble* And I haven't thought about using stealth with other classes (like mages) before. Very interesting!
Del_Duio
Level 2

Supreme Omelettelord

View Profile WWW
« Reply #118 on: March 01, 2010, 09:17:32 AM »

Would it be feasible to have a "save character(s)" option? That way you could continue on with your character's class and gear and stats but import him to a new party for a new game (like Diablo did).

You might only be able to save your character if he beats the Bone Lord though, in which case all 3 of my guys wouldn't cut the mustard yet.

Also are you going to make new monsters for the game? I don't exactly know if this being in the competition means you can't create any new graphics but if not some new bad guys might be cool additions.

Ryavis
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: March 01, 2010, 09:33:17 AM »

I was carousing at the tavern, and I passed out. It said I was carried home, and then the chat box was empty and I had to exit the game because I wasn't able to continue or anything. Bug or feature?
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic